Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854121 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5145 on: September 21, 2011, 05:10:07 pm »

Ugh.  Reading through that, it seems that often his appeals were denied based on technicalities (because apparently he should've presented evidence that witnesses were being coerced by police while they were still being coerced) or the rather interesting logic that if someone goes back on their word and says they were being forced to say something their original testimony was more reliable.

Moore ruled that executing an innocent person would violate the Eighth Amendment.
This strikes me as a little odd.  Surely you'd want to avoid executing an innocent man even if it was constitutionally allowed.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: September 21, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »

Sent a 3 sentence email, because I don't expect a long one to be read. I hope concision is helpful, but more than that I hope that there is such a deluge of email surround it that it takes days for it to be read, and that the presence of such is sufficient to delay the execution long enough. There's way too much doubt here to condone an execution, even if I grant that executions are a valid punishment in the first place.

Eh, optimism. Probably the email accomplishes nothing.

EDIT: Got a message delivery failure notification from the postmaster of that domain. Sending again, under the assumption that such a deluge might actually be the cause.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:31:40 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: September 21, 2011, 05:37:58 pm »

EDIT: Got a message delivery failure notification from the postmaster of that domain. Sending again, under the assumption that such a deluge might actually be the cause.

Yup, same here.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

aadeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:17 pm »

The execution is being delayed as the Supreme Court considers his last-minute plea.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44592285/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?GT1=43001

Troy might live after all.
"talk is cheap, but letters you have to hit them on the buttons" -Capntastic

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:52 pm »

Man, the death penalty saves so much money, doesn't it?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: September 21, 2011, 07:21:24 pm »

Ugh. How wonderful it must be to not know if you're going to die today.... and to have that happen more than once :|

I'd feel bad for the guy even if he was guilty, just for that. Not to mention execution being ridiculous in the first place. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:22:58 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5151 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:55 pm »

It'd save money if we actually killed them instead of spending years finding whether or not they're "innocent".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: September 21, 2011, 07:39:08 pm »

Can I safely assume that you've already considered that this would result in an unacceptably high rate of false positives?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5153 on: September 21, 2011, 07:42:39 pm »

Can I safely assume that you've already considered that this would result in an unacceptably high rate of false positives?
Of course, but what does it matter if we kill a few people?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: September 21, 2011, 07:47:26 pm »

I honestly thought they were going to kill him for sure this time. Maybe the Supreme Court will even declare the death penalty unconstitutional, that would be amazing. That said, I do think that Troy Davis is guilty, just not exactly in the way that was declared by the courts. Guilty or not though, there is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt that he killed that cop, so that means I have to support either letting him go or just taking him off of death row.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: September 21, 2011, 08:30:59 pm »

I understand your standing and have no issue with it, but this quip is just silly man.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: September 21, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »

Is it ok if I say I hate the word "femshep" here?  And the fact that people were annoyed when the first cannon Commander Shepherd was blonde?  And they didn't like her hair style either? :/

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: September 21, 2011, 08:58:24 pm »

The biggest problem that I have with the death penalty is that I don't believe that Hubris, Hypocrisy, and Petty Revenge* are ideals that the government should be striving to uphold. (This, of course, this would remain a problem even if the courts were infallible and even if the death penalty really did save money)

*(or "Closure", as they usually refer to it as)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:00:24 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: September 21, 2011, 09:12:06 pm »

Is it ok if I say I hate the word "femshep" here?  And the fact that people were annoyed when the first cannon Commander Shepherd was blonde?  And they didn't like her hair style either? :/

Who fires the second cannon? /lame typo joke

Femshep is a hate-worthy word as it implies Shepard was supposed to be male and that there is a less-worthy female version in his place.

Back on Davis: does anyone else feel there might be riots if he's executed at this point? Not Rodney King levels, but it still seems to be a rather questionable case tainted by vengeful cops. On MSNBC it was mentioned that the current prison warden turned away media interviews with Davis, only saying: "he (the warden) was a Savanna officer 22 years ago too".
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: September 21, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »

Femshep is a hate-worthy word as it implies Shepard was supposed to be male and that there is a less-worthy female version in his place.
I take it you have yet to hear the term Manshep, then?

Back on Davis: does anyone else feel there might be riots if he's executed at this point? Not Rodney King levels, but it still seems to be a rather questionable case tainted by vengeful cops. On MSNBC it was mentioned that the current prison warden turned away media interviews with Davis, only saying: "he (the warden) was a Savanna officer 22 years ago too".
The police certainly agree with you, because they pre-deployed full gear riot squads "just in case" before the now-cancelled execution.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 852