Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853995 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5115 on: September 19, 2011, 11:14:03 pm »

I am currently in a state of having successfully jumped ship.

It's no bed of roses here either.
Yeah, it always irks me when people jokingly talk about leaving a country over relatively petty things. Relatively in the sense of it doesn't really affect your life enough to move, and your moving leaves no impact upon the thing you are insulted at.

Or I could dig up the atrocious crap every other 'civilized' country is currently doing, but I already support friendly nationalism so that would be counterproductive.

All roads lead to Hell...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: September 20, 2011, 03:40:41 am »

Come to the Netherlands! If you don't mind the nazi's, that is.

Oh, did I just read that Obama wants "wealth tax"? Finally, your country may be saved, yet!

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2011/09/201191851213859620.html

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: September 20, 2011, 04:07:58 am »

Oh, did I just read that Obama wants "wealth tax"? Finally, your country may be saved, yet!

If he can pass that AND bomb the Bush tax cuts, Obama would be my favorite president ever (next to Roosevelt)

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5118 on: September 20, 2011, 10:10:54 am »

It isn't a true "wealth tax", just a higher income tax on people earning more than a million dollars per year. It will never pass though. The tea party will start an armed revolution before they allow even one penny of increased taxes for the Koche brothers.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: September 20, 2011, 12:02:48 pm »

How do we not even have I mean whats the point of not having a flat tax rate if you can't have increases.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: September 20, 2011, 12:09:19 pm »

Obviously so we can tax the poor a larger percentage of their income.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: September 20, 2011, 09:07:13 pm »

Thanks, GOP.

Now this is just stupid.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:38 pm »

Yep.

Not much more to say about that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: September 20, 2011, 09:38:16 pm »

Thanks, GOP.

Now this is just stupid.
If Rick Perry can fuck up Texas that much more than it already was, I don't even want to think about what he would try to do to America as a whole.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: September 20, 2011, 10:00:50 pm »

Good lord, why do we suddenly have so many crazy people running for office. You'd think they're trying to prove 2012 right or something by making it seem like the end of not entirely one-sided presidents.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5125 on: September 20, 2011, 10:21:45 pm »

So where are the choices to emigrate to if Perry or Bachmann get elected?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:09 pm »

singapore?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:15 pm »

Perry and Bachmann aren't getting elected. Bachmann even winning her party's nomination is impossible, she's just way too far-right for even a good portion of Republicans. Perry has a legitimate shot of winning the nomination, but if he does it's going to hand the election to Obama. He's also too far-right to get the support of enough moderates for the election. Mitt Romney is the only republican candidate I can see winning the nomination and the election. There's also Ron Paul to consider. I don't really think he has any chance of winning anything, but he's certainly a wildcard that will leech votes off of the others, especially considering how tenacious he is about his presidential bids.

singapore?
Move from a theoretical oppressive state to an actual oppressive state? Singapore isn't that pleasant when it comes to civil liberty.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:57:25 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: September 20, 2011, 10:48:17 pm »

yes, i know. read that with a pint of irony

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: September 21, 2011, 02:33:22 am »

I already have a country to go to if things get really bad. But of course I'm worried about the deteriorating state of that country too. I'm getting suddenly vivid images of the way "Ghost in the Shell" depicts the world.

Anyway, rant time.
If I were to describe my political stance, it would most definitely be "nihilist". Frankly speaking, I have no faith in humanity. I think humanity is horribly flawed, and incapable of ultimately overcoming those flaws. At least before it leads to it's own destruction. I think humanity is completely incapable of managing itself.
sigh
But I want to be wrong.

Democracy, as much as we love it brings the problem to the forefront, in it's own way.
To pull a quote:
Quote from: Sir Winston Churchill
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried

The root of the issue is the "ignorant masses". The ones who are most easily coerced, and oppressed. The ones who's fears are most easily played upon. Do you want to know what the root of human evil is? It's fear, all of our greatest troubles, faults, misdeads, woes, etc. They find in their roots fear.
I didn't used to believe in evil, at least not the way others do (as a pervading force of destruction and misery, that kind of thing), but I feel somewhat differently now. I think perhaps I was half right, half wrong.
I don't know if there's anything that should be branded "evil", but I know there is fear. Let's pull another quote:
Quote from: Roosevelt
We have nothing to fear but fear itself

The masses are fearful, they don't use the power when they should, and when they do it's often in the wrong way for a cause that was hung in front of them as the carrot to the proverbial donkey.
Who hung the carrot? Well I suppose if fear were evil, then they would be our devils. Fearmongerers in any case...
Welcome to hell...
... Ok, that's excessive, but there's a point there somewhere you should listen to.

Anyway... yes, I want to be wrong about humanity being doomed. If you want to save humanity, you have to teach it to be more insightful, less fearful, and more empowered. Fear is the enemy.
I don't think it can be done though, even the most hard-won lessons fade all to fast into blurred impressions. But I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, confused rant over, I'm off to bed.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 852