Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854003 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5070 on: September 18, 2011, 10:57:57 am »

Spoiler: Etymology offtopic (click to show/hide)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: September 18, 2011, 11:04:29 am »

Nah, dumb is specifically like "mute."  Silent is the potentially voluntary version; "dumbness" is a disability.

Other curiosity: before it gained its psychological meaning, "idiot" was the word used in Ancient Greece for a layperson, not particularly educated or specialized, who didn't partake in government; later, it came to mean "uneducated or ignorant person," and from there it slowly morphed into the precise psychological term we used to have (for someone with an IQ less than 30), which has now been replaced with the words "profoundly mentally retarded."

I, of course, originally learned the Latin meaning in math class, where the professor told us not to be uneducated idiota because we needed to be good strong mathematicians now.  Weirdo.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: September 18, 2011, 11:06:59 am »

You must uphold the honor and traditions of the Mathematicians of the past. Your Ancestors watch your every move and if you fail them they will not hesitate to strike you down.

We factor at dawn

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: September 18, 2011, 11:35:25 am »

[...]I'm not sure how many native speakers, even, know that.[...]
And now imagine a foreign speaker, who picks up a lot of his english over the internet and english popular culture (meaning music, movies, books etc).
It's overrun with those words, which a number of people find offensive.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: September 18, 2011, 11:40:23 am »

Yup, that's why I mentioned that bit, I definitely don't hold it against you.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: September 18, 2011, 11:58:07 am »

There are no strong words that are not derogatory in some manner. There is no way to be offensive without being offensive.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: September 18, 2011, 12:02:08 pm »

Generally one speaks to cruelty and controllable behaviors, rather than the lots in life of other people.

It is possible to be extremely offensive without grabbing a bunch of other people and using something they have absolutely no control over to make a point about the first person.

In other words, insults should target the person you're actually insulting, rather than scooping in swathes of people on the side.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: September 18, 2011, 12:02:32 pm »

Unless you go the subtle route. Such things as,

"Wow, you did much better than I expected!"

after said person did something poorly, is still offensive without being directly so.

((Please note this is an example, and not a well-thought-out one.))

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: September 18, 2011, 12:42:15 pm »

I don't think it's reasonable to be offended by these words if you know it's not directed at those falling under the original meaning of the word. Tact has practical usage, but I consider it necessary to avoid misunderstanding, not some sort of virtue.

I've already gone over that one in this thread though, so carry on.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: September 18, 2011, 12:47:05 pm »

For me, I don't eat humans so I don't eat animals, and similarly I don't call people gay, autistic, or womanly to insult them, so I try not to use words like dumb, lame, or crazy.  Basically, it's an application of the same principle.

I'm mostly good on those last ones, but crazy is still hard for me to get away from.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: September 18, 2011, 01:29:02 pm »

I don't eat meat either, but not for any moral reasons.

On the other hand, not eating humans is also a health thing. cannibalism is rather bad for you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: September 18, 2011, 01:51:31 pm »

Only eating brains. Nasty prion diseases from that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: September 18, 2011, 02:07:01 pm »

You do want it thoroughly cooked, though, it's a prime disease and/or parasite vector. Also, you'll want a social custom where you're not allowed to kill people for lunch.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: September 18, 2011, 02:11:20 pm »

what about diner? and more importantly, is long pork kosher?

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: September 18, 2011, 02:13:11 pm »

I eat meat, I love meat. I however, only eat things I kill myself.
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 852