Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853745 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5040 on: September 17, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

Autism Speaks for you, right?
So my car listens to NPR in the car. At least when he's not listening to Mandarin language tapes, or tapes about economics, marketing, group psychology etc.
I haven't heard from them in a while, but every so often I'd hear them talking about fund raisers, or the works that Autism Speaks were doing, or awareness raising broadcasts about autism.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thought they sounded like jerks. I mean they made it sound like they were raising funds to support people with alzheimers, or parkinsons.
Really... it's much closer to dyslexia.

It's a different configuration of the brain, not a neural disorder.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: September 17, 2011, 02:44:31 pm »

Here's an interesting little event: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/09/15/11/womens-sex-strike-ends-fighting-mindanao-villages-unchr
MANILA, Philippines - Women ended armed clashes in 2 Mindanao villages by not having sex with their husbands unless the men laid down their weapons, according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

The success of the "sex strike" allowed families to start rebuilding their communities, the UN's refugee agency said.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: September 17, 2011, 02:50:59 pm »

This isn't the first time I've heard about "sex strikes" being used to stifle armed conflict. While I'm glad it helps create a peaceful outcome, I cannot help but noticed how fucked up it is that there are societies where men having regular sexual activity is so ingrained in the culture that it becomes a mental dependency on par with physical necessities. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: September 17, 2011, 02:52:10 pm »

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thought they sounded like jerks. I mean they made it sound like they were raising funds to support people with alzheimers, or parkinsons.
Really... it's much closer to dyslexia.

It's a different configuration of the brain, not a neural disorder.

And how do you distinguish between the two, exactly?

Neurodiversity is great and all, but go take a look at something with severe autism, come back, and tell me that can't be construed as a disorder. Unless they're particularly high-functioning, odds are they'll have trouble performing even simple tasks.

Also, judging by the linked article, this is suffering from the conflation of autism spectrum disorders and "autism" proper. Whether qualitatively or simply a matter of degree, there is a huge difference between a guy with a case of mild asperger's and a guy with low-to-mid-functioning autism. Remember a while ago on these forums, when I was talking about how putting them all under the same term and treating them the same is good for nobody? This is why. Because when you make a video or otherwise speak ostensibly about "autism" (i.e. not simply "autism spectrum" or "asperger's"), people on the other side of the autistic spectrum will assume it applies to them too, and non-autistic people will assume they're talking about both sides of the spectrum. It's a complete mess, which is why multiple diagnoses exist and why the terminology should be specific.

This isn't to say the video in question is very tactful, but it's obvious that the people responding negatively to it aren't nearly the same kind of "autistic" as those the video is about.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: September 17, 2011, 02:53:39 pm »

Re: Philippines thing

That reinforces a bunch of gender stereotypes concerning sex, but if it stopped the bloodshed, small price to pay.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: September 17, 2011, 02:59:27 pm »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: September 17, 2011, 02:59:39 pm »

Here's an interesting little event: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/09/15/11/womens-sex-strike-ends-fighting-mindanao-villages-unchr
MANILA, Philippines - Women ended armed clashes in 2 Mindanao villages by not having sex with their husbands unless the men laid down their weapons, according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

The success of the "sex strike" allowed families to start rebuilding their communities, the UN's refugee agency said.

pff, old news

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: September 17, 2011, 03:06:06 pm »

pff, old news
Am I weird for thinking "Wow and that actually worked?".

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: September 17, 2011, 03:22:35 pm »

sex drives piratically everything in nature, some males take it to suicidal extremes... is it that far-fetched?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: September 17, 2011, 04:02:39 pm »

For me it is.
I find it scary that you can make such changes, by just withholding sex.

I'm a bit ashamed to be part of such a weak-willed gender.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:31 pm »

I'm a bit ashamed to be part of such a weak-willed gender.
Don't. Other people's faults are NOT yours by mere association.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07:30 pm »

It' probably makes a great excuse for not fighting as well.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: September 17, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

Is it me or is this basically 50% of the point of this thread? The other 50% being "Don't be an ass."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: September 17, 2011, 04:10:09 pm »

Is it me or is this basically 50% of the point of this thread? The other 50% being "Don't be an ass."
Yeah, pretty much xD

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: September 17, 2011, 04:14:11 pm »

I cannot help but noticed how fucked up it is that there are societies where men having regular sexual activity is so ingrained in the culture that it becomes a mental dependency on par with physical necessities.
It's ingrained in our species, don't worry about it. It's healthy for couples to regularly engage in sex, and the lack of it in a relationship that once had a lot of it would cause some issues. I'm taking this situation as a positive mark on people as a whole, as women could pull this off. They did not have a culture where it was required or forced.

And in situations like this sex stereotypes seems a bit silly of a thing to bring up. While I don't want to downplay the gay and women fighters that may or may not exist over there, a majority of the conflicts are going to happen between groups of males who have relationships with females. There really isn't any other way this could happen. There could be other methods to stop the fighting but the women there are proactively doing something where their governments are not.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 852