Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856595 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4845 on: September 13, 2011, 11:18:32 pm »

Recent discussion leads me to an odd question re: gender in media. Has anyone seen, read, or played, something where the gender for one or more of the characters is literally not mentioned, at all? Hopefully the question isn't a derail, heh.
I know there is a short story out there somebody wrote which is primarily a lovemaking scene where the gender of each character was not revealed. A real literary tongue twister. I have no idea how to find it again.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:20 pm »

adventure games typically have the  main character as an Ageless, Faceless, Gender-Neutral, Adventure-person.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: September 13, 2011, 11:33:58 pm »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:12 pm »

Recent discussion leads me to an odd question re: gender in media. Has anyone seen, read, or played, something where the gender for one or more of the characters is literally not mentioned, at all? Hopefully the question isn't a derail, heh.
I know there is a short story out there somebody wrote which is primarily a lovemaking scene where the gender of each character was not revealed. A real literary tongue twister. I have no idea how to find it again.
Must have been a very good writer to avoid the awkwardness involved in not using gender pronouns.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: September 14, 2011, 12:01:43 am »

Basically everything here.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: September 14, 2011, 01:55:06 am »

Must have been a very good writer to avoid the awkwardness involved in not using gender pronouns.

If it was a lovemaking scene, I imagine other things were a little stranger to make ambiguous.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: September 14, 2011, 03:02:21 am »

TBH I don't think that entertainment must by necessity conform stories to make the heroes more "diversified" along racial or gender lines. Or, at the very least, if this is done, it must not be the main purpose of the story.

I say this because a couple of examples which did this come to mind (in particular, the Earthsea saga, and some fairy tales remake stories a national politician wrote a few years ago,-among other things, she made the mayor of the village the good guy "in order to instill democratic culture in children, because nowadays they don't get elected by nepotism, but by DEMOCRACY!". I probably would be more impressed by her intended if the national political parties weren't so grossly corrupt, TBH), and I found them to be rather boring.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: September 14, 2011, 03:58:02 am »

Meh, I wrote a fanfic about a character that used no pronouns whatsoever for the person in question--not even ze, hir, etc..

So, uh, at least one exists!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: September 14, 2011, 04:47:53 am »

Did you use one of those gender-neutral names that only girls actually ever use like Sam?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: September 14, 2011, 04:49:17 am »

Nope.  It was the personified country of Russia, in a fandom that does a lot of rule 63.

So, uh, now you know!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: September 14, 2011, 04:51:30 am »

Hetalia fanfic?

Also, Russia's totally a girl.

I ship her with Germany.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: September 14, 2011, 06:26:30 am »

So you used It? Or am I missing something?

Also, not'ha same is'it? Between a It and a He/She but we don't really know.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: September 14, 2011, 06:40:13 am »

Nope.  It was the personified country of Russia, in a fandom that does a lot of rule 63.

So, uh, now you know!
Spoiler: ? (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: September 14, 2011, 06:41:38 am »

Many subjects disagree on the true nature of the universe.  Science has its opinion; world religions, another.  There's no reason to get so upset about it, unless folks are also going to get upset about pi=3 not being taught in math class.
I'm not sure if I'd be happy teaching children that the scientific process generates only "opinions".  Ideally you'd also explain how the scientific process and theories work (and the evidence for such theories).

Yes.  Unfortunately I'd spoil the story if I told you what work it actually was.  I think this one might've been a case of noone knowing the gender of the character.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: September 14, 2011, 06:55:41 am »

It frankly depends on how much stock you place in your senses.  If you believe in God, then it seems that it's necessary for you to trust the concept of science (cf. Descartes; otherwise you'd have T->F, and you cannot have trusted in God's omnipotence/geniality, which would not set out to deceive the human race at every moment; reason is one of the side effects of ensouling); if you trust neither God nor reason nor your senses entirely, then yes, everything tends to unfold into opinions (cf. paranoia).

In the end, science is ... well, let me put it this way.  We think it works.  So far, it's been a good way to move from a class of assumptions about the world to a fairly consistent set of laws, rules, etc.  But, even if it is a very strong opinion, and something one has to believe in if one accepts certain ideas and systems, it is not rock solid.  Everything we teach in school is our best guess.  It is not Truth.

I suspect we're using different definitions of the word opinion, as you seem to think an opinion holds only statements without backing up argument, and I use opinion for almost any statement whatsoever; either that, or you have a lot more faith in the assumptions of science than I do.

Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 852