Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856329 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4800 on: September 13, 2011, 03:51:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A list of terror attack in the US since 9/11. Could not count them all.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: September 13, 2011, 03:57:47 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/audience-tea-party-debate-cheers-leaving-uninsured-die-163216817.html
When even Rick Perry is going, "Dude, that's harsh," then you know you have gone too far. These are mostly the same kind of people who cheered wildly when Rick Perry mentioned that Texas has executed nearly 300 people under his stewardship. Scary. Mother. Fuckers.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »

Oh wow, that led me to actually watch the debate for a little while - can you GET any slimier/ruder than Bachman is there? How can people trust anything she says?

I can see the point Paul was trying to make, to be honest, but the audiences reaction was clearly far too much for even him.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: September 13, 2011, 04:11:15 pm »

They tend to be "pro-life" too. Just sayin'. And Paul is a doctor, so of course he'd be a little thrown off by anyone advocating death for uninsured. Ron Paul might be crazy, but at least he's consistently crazy about "pro-life", rather than "have them be born and then fuck them with no support/insurance/welfare/education/healthcare".

On a slightly more ridiculous note- random blogger 98723569081235 notes: Warhammer Space Marine: Most Feminist game of the year? for portraying a woman in a leader's role in the army without sexualising her.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: September 13, 2011, 04:12:54 pm »

Yea. I kinda hope that some of the people at the top start to realize that the monster they have created is no longer under their control.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: September 13, 2011, 04:15:46 pm »

From another approach, why is it relevant that commenters you otherwise disagree with are pointing out her language choices?
Context is everything:
Also... she didn't necessarily say beer bellied redneck, but alluded to it:

"...I decided that I hated country music. I hated speedboats and shitty beer in coozies and fat bellies and rednecks."

"After fingerprinting me and asking me about my height/weight/place and date of birth and so on, a middle-aged white cop with a beer belly and a flat top returned me"

From the comments, I'm not the only one pointing this out.
She put forth a derogatory set of statements.  I was not the only one to see this.  It says nothing about agreeing with these people, just that they pointed it out, just as I pointed it out.

If someone posted a comment: "That tree is sad, and I hate how it looks."  Then I were to say, "That tree is sad, other people pointed that out as well." it does not imply that I also hate the look of it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: September 13, 2011, 04:20:17 pm »

On a slightly more ridiculous note- random blogger 98723569081235 notes: Warhammer Space Marine: Most Feminist game of the year? for portraying a woman in a leader's role in the army without sexualising her.
I don't know how to feel about this one. On the other hand it's good to see that they're not sexualizing women this time. On the other hand, they did this by just giving a man a model swap instead of taking the time to write a real woman.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: September 13, 2011, 04:28:22 pm »

I don't know how to feel about this one. On the other hand it's good to see that they're not sexualizing women this time. On the other hand, they did this by just giving a man a model swap instead of taking the time to write a real woman.
Not that it matters, but isn't that technically what EA did with that NHL game a few pages back?  I realize it's just a sports game and there's no real story to build... but I'm sure they probably just swapped the heads and left the uniform/body/animations the same [which were probably modeled by stop motion on a male hockey player].
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: September 13, 2011, 04:52:02 pm »

Hrm, yeah, most "rednecks" I know of wear the term as a badge of pride, not dishonor.

IF, and only IF, she was calling the police officers that as a derogatory term, I'm completely on Andir's side. None of the government employees did anything wrong; they were all just doing their job. The only ones deserving of being called names here is the politicians who put such ridiculous crap into place, and the idiots who cry wolf on people because of their skin color.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: September 13, 2011, 05:17:24 pm »

Hrm, yeah, most "rednecks" I know of wear the term as a badge of pride, not dishonor.

IF, and only IF, she was calling the police officers that as a derogatory term, I'm completely on Andir's side. None of the government employees did anything wrong; they were all just doing their job. The only ones deserving of being called names here is the politicians who put such ridiculous crap into place, and the idiots who cry wolf on people because of their skin color.

Again, I must reiterate that they were not doing their job and did something wrong. They performed an arrest without reading the suspect miranda rights, that is not only not doing their job and wrong, but it is illegal and could invalidate testimony or evidence they could have gathered if the suspects were going to be charged.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »

Hrm, fair enough, but the "redneck" comment wasn't in response to their not following protocol.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #4813 on: September 13, 2011, 05:29:50 pm »

Again, I must reiterate that they were not doing their job and did something wrong. They performed an arrest without reading the suspect miranda rights, that is not only not doing their job and wrong, but it is illegal and could invalidate testimony or evidence they could have gathered if the suspects were going to be charged.
They only need to give you the miranda before they question you. And that's only after an arrest. The problem is that they detained her without arresting her, and simply because she was 'suspicious' on a plane on 9/11 when everyone has been put on edge about a possible terrorist attack.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: September 13, 2011, 05:32:02 pm »

They only need to give you the miranda before they question you. And that's only after an arrest. The problem is that they detained her without arresting her, and simply because she was 'suspicious' on a plane on 9/11 when everyone has been put on edge about a possible terrorist attack.
Isn't this legal with the patriot act and whatnot?

I'm not too versed on the details so I could be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 852