Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856198 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4755 on: September 13, 2011, 01:32:38 pm »

Also, Look at it this way.  The police that detained her didn't see her from the ground and decide to have the plane pulled over.  Some ass on the plane reported them and called up a suspicion near the anniversary of a tragic event.  The police were doing their job...

NO. They were not doing their job. It does not matter if they were profiling or not. Their job would have been to read them their miranda rights during the arrest. This was unlawful detainment. The TSA/police responsible should be criminally charged, arrested and sent to prison. No one is above the law.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: September 13, 2011, 01:36:14 pm »

It's not an ideal reaction, sure. But considering the situation, I'm willing to let slide negative language that seeems to be descriptive (I could be wrong, but I got the impression that the list of things she hates was a list of things the guards were talking about and/or listening to, but maybe not). She's upset, and right to be. "Perfectly fine", probably not, but while I may not endorse it, I'm not really going to get upset if her attention got fixed on the negative stereotypes the people holding her actually met.

I suppose it depends on whether you're bringing it up as an objection to her post (implying she shouldn't have made it because you think she's a hypocrite, which is what I get out of most of the comments) or as a criticism on how she could be more diplomatic (which I guess is true, if seemingly irrelevant). Identifying with the comments that imply that what was done to her is excusable because "apparently you also profile people by their appearance", "you have absolutely no problem using the same tactics for stereo-typing", and so on is not really something I can agree with. If you want to say that technically there was a higher standard she could've held to, but her message still valid, fine, I guess, but I wouldn't associate yourself with those comments.

EDIT: And agreeing with Nadaka on the "doing their job" part. Illegal search and seizure is a no.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: September 13, 2011, 01:37:23 pm »

No one is above the law.
Homeland Security is. Enemy combatants and everything.

I agree with Andir that what she said is equivalent to what the person who reported her did. Being under duress is no excuse, as anyone who is afraid for some terrorist celebration fireworks on the 11th would be.

So, "Eye for an Eye" is acceptable behavior?
Comprehensive reading, please. I'm sad to see that one act of "racism" begets another. It becomes a spiral where misunderstandings and hatred just keep increasing...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: September 13, 2011, 01:38:23 pm »

Redneck is a specific subset of white people.
I can point you to a few songs that would say the same about "nigger".
One that a lot of other white people don't care for as well. It's also a term that most rednecks embrace as a badge of pride.
And here as well.  Some black Americans warmly call each other that...
So no, I don't see an equivalence.
I don't know what to tell you if you don't see the similarities.

Given the situation
The situation as reported from her viewpoint only.  You will never hear the side of the police doing their job following up on a report.  They would probably tell you they were perfectly nice to the lady but she was calling them all kinds of slurs and hatred.  Somehow they were the ones being attacked, even when they followed protocol to have a same sex officer perform the search.

The thing you have to understand about police is that they deal with criminals all day long.  If you give them an ounce of flack, they'll put you on the ground and cuff you.  They do it to protect themselves, being out there day after day with the dirt of society trying everything they can to hurt/kill them at any moment.

Also, Look at it this way.  The police that detained her didn't see her from the ground and decide to have the plane pulled over.  Some ass on the plane reported them and called up a suspicion near the anniversary of a tragic event.  The police were doing their job...

NO. They were not doing their job. It does not matter if they were profiling or not. Their job would have been to read them their miranda rights during the arrest. This was unlawful detainment. The TSA/police responsible should be criminally charged, arrested and sent to prison. No one is above the law.
I don't like it as much as you.  don't scream at me.  The point I'm arguing is the "racial profiling" aspect.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #4759 on: September 13, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »

I agree with Andir that what she said is equivalent to what the person who reported her did. Being under duress is no excuse, as anyone who is afraid for some terrorist celebration fireworks on the 11th would be.
They aren't equivalent. The person reported her acted upon the feelings that they perhaps shared. The author didn't outwardly act, only had an emotional response to her situation. They might have begun the same, but their outcomes were very different.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: September 13, 2011, 01:41:45 pm »

Y'know what?  No.  They're not equivalent at all, even remotely.

The person who reported her reported her based on a racist assumption knowing that he could be subjecting her to a horrible ordeal by false arrest.

She wrote that she felt frustrated to the point of stereotyping her (unnamed) guards.  Note that noone is going to have to be strip-searched or illegally detained due to what she said.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: September 13, 2011, 01:43:20 pm »

No one is above the law.

Did... did they get a Constitutional Amendment while I wasn't paying attention? It's possible, I suppose. Otherwise, no. This is the closest thing, but it was a domestic flight and I'd argue this didn't even meet the requirements laid out here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:07 pm »

No one is above the law.

No one is above the law. Not the police, not homeland security, not the CIA, not congress, not the president. Being tough on crime means holding accountable even those who mistake power for authority.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:08 pm »

Let's pick apart her words to construct a bollocks accusation of hate speech, because clearly it is the white man who was the victim here...

Redneck is a specific subset of white people.
I can point you to a few songs that would say the same about "nigger".

Considering that your word has an extensive history which says otherwise, those songs would be irrelevant.
Redneck has never meant a specific skin pigment and has always been a sub-group of people who exhibit certain behaviors.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: September 13, 2011, 02:00:12 pm »

The thing you have to understand about police is that they deal with criminals all day long.  If you give them an ounce of flack, they'll put you on the ground and cuff you.  They do it to protect themselves, being out there day after day with the dirt of society trying everything they can to hurt/kill them at any moment.

No, they don't do that to protect themselves. They do that to vent frustration. You seem to forget, I work with cops and other assorted law enforcement on a daily basis. It's an incredibly stressful and difficult job, but they still have an obligation to perform that job with respect to civil liberties. They're not legally allowed to beat the shit out of someone for "giving them some lip" (but it still happens in places). They're not allowed to cuff and detain someone for hours on end without actually arresting them and without giving them access to legal counsel, to information about *why* they're being detained, etc. This is the kind of bullshit you'd expect to see in a Third World country, not the United States of America.

Furthermore, yeah...somebody did profile, and not just the person who reported "suspicious activity". Do you think they would have asked a white woman if she was wearing explosives? If she could speak English? If the main targets of interest were the two Indian men, why'd they grab her and not the people sitting in front/behind them, especially if she didn't interact with them during the flight? This whole thing was bullshit, and you're trying to excuse it or redirect the discussion because she used the word "redneck"?!?

This is why we can't have productive conversations.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: September 13, 2011, 02:00:46 pm »

No one is above the law.
Homeland Security is. Enemy combatants and everything...
No one is above the law. Not the police, not homeland security, not the CIA, not congress, not the president. Being tough on crime means holding accountable even those who mistake power for authority.

And how many of those who've blatantly abused their offices lately have been prosecuted? That's what I thought.
This space unintentionally left blank.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: September 13, 2011, 02:03:31 pm »

No one is above the law.
Homeland Security is. Enemy combatants and everything...

And how many of those who've blatantly abused their offices lately have been prosecuted? That's what I thought.

Not enough. And every single one of them should be.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: September 13, 2011, 02:05:03 pm »

This is just fucking bullshit.

This is the problem with relying heavily on citizen reports of "suspicious activity". Because way too many people in this country still equate brown skin with being suspicious. I'm tired of living in a country full of ignorant-ass xenophobes.
If you were to ask me, I'd prefer being held because of suspicious behavior for what amounts to an afternoon over a plane blowing up, but to each its own I guess.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: September 13, 2011, 02:07:14 pm »

You will never hear the side of the police doing their job following up on a report.  They would probably tell you they were perfectly nice to the lady but she was calling them all kinds of slurs and hatred.

You need to curb your assumptions.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: September 13, 2011, 02:16:11 pm »

This is just fucking bullshit.

This is the problem with relying heavily on citizen reports of "suspicious activity". Because way too many people in this country still equate brown skin with being suspicious. I'm tired of living in a country full of ignorant-ass xenophobes.
If you were to ask me, I'd prefer being held because of suspicious behavior for what amounts to an afternoon over a plane blowing up, but to each its own I guess.
Yeah, not buying that argument. Sorry. By the same logic, we should all submit to a full cavity search every time we board an airplane, because hey...being fisted by a guy with a latex glove still beats a plane blowing up, right?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 852