Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856083 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4725 on: September 10, 2011, 11:14:18 pm »

Yes, though on the other hand, I think someone needs to write some sort of Firefox addon which blocks all youtube comments.

Seriously.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: September 10, 2011, 11:20:13 pm »

Kael, that's really great.
I think someone needs to write some sort of Firefox addon which blocks all youtube comments.

There's a Greasemonkey script for that, if you use it.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: September 11, 2011, 12:34:58 am »

Not on this machine, I don't, but that may be changed soon :I

Thanks muchly for that!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: September 12, 2011, 09:34:34 am »

Or you could just ignore them. The fact of the matter is that Youtube comments are the general population of the Internet. If you have to put blinders on yourself to prevent yourself from reading something that you need to put conscious effort into reading in the first place, and it bothers you so much that you'd bother to install a script to do it, then I question your ability to deal with... well, humanity.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: September 12, 2011, 09:42:22 am »

I question your ability to deal with... well, humanity.

So?  I've got my vices and bad habits, just the same as anyone else.  I never showed up in this thread and said "I am the sort of perfect person who reads everything compulsively except for Youtube comments."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:42 am »

Or you could just ignore them. The fact of the matter is that Youtube comments are the general population of the Internet. If you have to put blinders on yourself to prevent yourself from reading something that you need to put conscious effort into reading in the first place, and it bothers you so much that you'd bother to install a script to do it, then I question your ability to deal with... well, humanity.

If the general population of YouTube commenters represents "humanity", then I question my ability to deal with them as well. Because my preferred methods for "dealing with" would be short, painful and messy.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: September 12, 2011, 10:15:36 am »

Oh, the humanity!

I read my news on sites that either have an intelligent clientele, or have disabled comments. I compulsively read that shit. And it makes me feel dirty. And depressed. And losing faith in both humankind, and the kindness of humans.

This is also a youtube alternative: http://quietube.com/

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: September 12, 2011, 10:26:47 am »

I read the comments, but I don't put much faith in them being honest representations of humanity.  I end up laughing at the comments more than I treat them seriously.  Maybe it's just my unusually high tolerance levels for stupidity and the fact that I've grown less caring about what people do/say as I get older.

There are some specific things that get to me, but meh...  Youtube comments are just daft most of the time.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: September 12, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »

People let out their dumber sides in a consequence-free, conversation-based environment with a hint of anonymity. Then again, judging by Facebook comments I see on The Onion's and NPR's links, even the anonymity requirement seems to be less than necessary.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4734 on: September 12, 2011, 03:54:37 pm »

speaking of horrible, horrible comments...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/How-a-14-year-old-girl-made-NHL-video-game-histo?urn=nhl-wp12363

The article itself is on topic of this thread as well.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: September 12, 2011, 04:06:42 pm »

People let out their dumber sides in a consequence-free, conversation-based environment with a hint of anonymity. Then again, judging by Facebook comments I see on The Onion's and NPR's links, even the anonymity requirement seems to be less than necessary.

Yeah, I actually "Unliked" NPR, just because I got so tired of seeing what should be a brighter-than-average community make some of the most atrocious comments.

The hockey thing just....Jesus. Yes, the NHL is male-only. But the sport of hockey has plenty of females. If any of those douchebags actually knew hockey and not just their fratboy devotion to their local team, they'd know that. The US women's hockey team is actually a perennial powerhouse. I give EA the thumbs-up for implementing this.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: September 12, 2011, 07:26:22 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/How-a-14-year-old-girl-made-NHL-video-game-histo?urn=nhl-wp12363
That's pretty neat, but I'd take it more as a sign that developers are recognizing female gamers exist rather than doing it out of some sense of wanting gender equality displayed in their game. It's definitely a move spurred by wanting to attract a bigger audience, and thus get more sales.

Capitalism isn't all bad. Consumers just gotta complain a lot, it seems.

No comment on the comments. Ugh.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: September 12, 2011, 07:30:09 pm »

I choose not to read the comments, but just be glad for one of the rare moments when I can say, "I wholly endorse EA's reaction". I half-expected the initial response to have been, "Girls aren't a big enough market share in sports games to justify the effort", and am happy to have been wrong if the article provides an accurate timeline.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:12 am »

This is just fucking bullshit.

This is the problem with relying heavily on citizen reports of "suspicious activity". Because way too many people in this country still equate brown skin with being suspicious. I'm tired of living in a country full of ignorant-ass xenophobes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: September 13, 2011, 10:02:37 am »

Bravo EA, boo on shitty commenters.

Oddly enough a bunch of them complained, feigning insult at being unable to play as animals... but there actually HAVE been EA NHL games that let you play as animals. :P

Bastards, though. God why do I read comments.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 852