Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855835 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4665 on: September 08, 2011, 07:08:20 pm »

Predicting Atheism Redux in 5... 4...
Venn Diagrams and all? ;)
Well, the dictionary says that feminism is...

Feminism is a wide movement that doesn't stop at your particular brand of feminism.
I am always annoyed by these discussion, where one try to argue that X or Y doesn't represent the true valors of it's movement and therefore shouldn't be called Z.
I understand that you think feminism should be against discrimination and aim toward equalities, but there are feminists that don't stop there.
My point is really just that straight up 'Take that, man. You probably deserve it.' misandry has nothing to do with feminism. The woman in the video wasn't forwarding the cause of women, she was just being spiteful.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: September 08, 2011, 09:16:13 pm »

And therefore Chauvanism is different to Masogany?

I was talking to a friend not long ago and she said that boys who 'describe themselves as chivalrous' don't open doors for her or anything like that - and was wondering if she was giving off a 'feminist vibe'.
One question I have to ask is- can feminism and chivalry co-exist? And what constitutes 'chivalry' as opposed to 'being a gentleman'?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: September 08, 2011, 09:30:59 pm »

My experience? Yes, as long as you delete all references in your code to "men" and "women" and replace them with "people".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »

The stark majority of people I have opened doors for in the past few months have been men. I don't really view it as chivalry, I view it as the polite thing to do.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: September 08, 2011, 09:53:52 pm »

One question I have to ask is- can feminism and chivalry co-exist? And what constitutes 'chivalry' as opposed to 'being a gentleman'?

I've tried to follow a knight's code of chivalry since I was seven or so.

The real question would be: does chivalry exclude performance by women?  Does "being a gentleman?"  What do we expect of these behaviors?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: September 08, 2011, 09:58:07 pm »

This whole chivalry thing is pretty neat. I've followed a code for about as long as I can remember, but I generally apply it to both genders. Then again, I don't think I've ever been slapped by a man for opening a door for him, but whatever. It seems that chivalry is just an easy way of being polite.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4671 on: September 08, 2011, 10:00:35 pm »

Predicting Atheism Redux in 5... 4...
Wouldn't that be Atheism Agnosticism Atheism Redux Redux?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: September 08, 2011, 10:04:36 pm »

I've tried to follow a knight's code of chivalry since I was seven or so.

What.

The real question would be: does chivalry exclude performance by women?  Does "being a gentleman?"  What do we expect of these behaviors?

Yes. No. Being polite can sum it up pretty well.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: September 09, 2011, 03:55:26 am »

My experience? Yes, as long as you delete all references in your code to "men" and "women" and replace them with "people".
Hmm... well, the earliest version of the code (11th century) we have is as follows:
To fear God and maintain His Church
To serve the liege lord in valour and faith
To protect the weak and defenceless
To give succour to widows and orphans
To refrain from the wanton giving of offence
To live by honour and for glory
To despise pecuniary reward
To fight for the welfare of all
To obey those placed in authority
To guard the honour of fellow knights
To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit
To keep faith
At all times to speak the truth
To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun
To respect the honour of women
Never to refuse a challenge from an equal
Never to turn the back upon a foe.
Bolded is the only reference to gender, and I don't think too many would disagree with that idea (I guess you could extend it to both genders though).

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: September 09, 2011, 05:08:55 am »

Bolded is the only reference to gender, and I don't think too many would disagree with that idea (I guess you could extend it to both genders though).

But surely not to dirty plebeians, right?!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: September 09, 2011, 05:22:38 am »

I've always seen chivalry as a gender specific thing. Which is why I'm not too fond of it.

Being polite is great. Awesome, even. Being polite because the other person's of a specific gender, not so much.

But if we want to make chivalry a gender neutral thing, then sure, that'd be great.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: September 09, 2011, 06:49:49 am »

I've always seen chivalry as old time propaganda for uneducated thug who spent most of their free time getting drunk, "free time" referring to when they where not learning the best way to bash someone's head with a pointy iron stick.

Not for me, thanks. (However they developed very interesting way to bash someone's head with a pointy iron stick, I give them that, and those are very interesting).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: September 09, 2011, 08:30:55 am »

I'm pretty sure chivalry nowadays is just a slightly nobby way to say 'basic common courtesy', really. You don't have to be a knight errant to hold the door open for someone.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: September 09, 2011, 09:45:03 am »

I'm pretty sure chivalry nowadays is just a slightly nobby way to say 'basic common courtesy', really. You don't have to be a knight errant to hold the door open for someone.

Man, there goes my lifetime of training in the sword and shield.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: September 09, 2011, 10:46:46 am »

So, hang on... me ALWAYS holding a door open for someone is bieng misunderstood as a "ME POWERFUL MAN" message, and possibly offends my female co-workers? Rly?
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 852