Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854517 times)

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4380 on: August 27, 2011, 03:30:51 pm »

http://www.thebrokeassbride.com/2011/08/an-open-letter-to-spirit-airlines/

You already know I'm going to say SUE HIM! Sue him civilly for battery, a harmful or offensive unprivileged touching by defendant to the person of the plaintiff. Get a judgment against him and garnish his wages and/or bank account, and if you can't do that, then leave the judgment hanging over his credit and head. Also possible criminal charges, clearly.

Honestly, Jurisdiction would be a pain in the ass, because this happened at how many tens of thousands of feet in the air at what speed over which state? Worse yet, what if they were over an ocean? Hum, I'm positive there are rules for torts/crimes committed in airspace, and I shall have to look them up another time. Other than that legitimate wrinkle, you're looking at a nice lawsuit, which might have to be brought in federal court due to the airspace thing. Moreover, the airline is a common carrier, which means they're held to a higher standard should you find a cause of action you can pin on them.

As far as I know, you'd be in the jurisdiction of wherever the plane was going.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: August 27, 2011, 04:05:12 pm »

Finally found the comic book store article.
Sound exactly like the Games Workshop, I was spending time in. Well except that our shopkeeper was able to talk to women.

They are not trying to be rude, no. They are just afraid.
As soon as a women entered the shop, nerdy conversations either stopped, or were carried on in whispers. And everybody dropped the card/warhammer game he was playing and tried to look like they were there on coincidence, holding casual conversations.
Some of the more hardened regulars managed to keep going though, ignoring the women completely.

I know this sounds very cliche, but:
To some of the nerdy guys women are simply scary.

This is what I gathered from the situations I got to experience first hand. I can't speak for every shop.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: August 27, 2011, 04:33:16 pm »

Don't know if you've seen this yet (as I don't go on this thread much), but have a link http://www.theage.com.au/national/get-it-off-your-chest-guys-but-dirty-shirts-just-make-slogans-for-bogans-20110826-1jekg.html
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: August 27, 2011, 04:59:55 pm »

Finally found the comic book store article.
Sound exactly like the Games Workshop, I was spending time in. Well except that our shopkeeper was able to talk to women.

They are not trying to be rude, no. They are just afraid.
As soon as a women entered the shop, nerdy conversations either stopped, or were carried on in whispers. And everybody dropped the card/warhammer game he was playing and tried to look like they were there on coincidence, holding casual conversations.
Some of the more hardened regulars managed to keep going though, ignoring the women completely.

I know this sounds very cliche, but:
To some of the nerdy guys women are simply scary.

This is what I gathered from the situations I got to experience first hand. I can't speak for every shop.
That's worse than straight-up rudeness. At least with foul-mouthed people who flat-out refuse to help women you know what you're up to. But ignoring someone because she's from a different gender? It may be because you're shy, but it looks too much like you're trying to deny someone's very existence. In essence that's exactly what those nerds are doing, shyness or not, they aren't comfortable with the very real existence of women so they just try to shut them out of their own reality.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:01:55 pm by Virex »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: August 27, 2011, 05:04:20 pm »

Yeah.... No.
Not playing the "let's put words in the others mouth"-trolling game.

As I said, our shopkeeper did help. And if the woman in question spoke to one of the people there, they would talk, even though you could see that he was uncomfortable (some of them even in such a desperate, ronery, needy, nerdy way, that they got scared away).
I'm not saying that it's ok, or normal. I'm just saying that from my point of view, I can understand those people.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:06:13 pm by Mindmaker »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: August 27, 2011, 05:07:49 pm »

I'm not saying that it's ok, or normal. I'm just saying that from my point of view, I can understand those people.
Oh sorry, I thought you were defending them. Well, I can understand you understanding them (if that makes any sense).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: August 27, 2011, 05:19:15 pm »

That's worse than straight-up rudeness. At least with foul-mouthed people who flat-out refuse to help women you know what you're up to. But ignoring someone because she's from a different gender? It may be because you're shy, but it looks too much like you're trying to deny someone's very existence. In essence that's exactly what those nerds are doing, shyness or not, they aren't comfortable with the very real existence of women so they just try to shut them out of their own reality.
And that is how we all learned that social ineptitude and inexperience in certain men is not the result of a personal lacking of sociability, but is in fact a brutal sexist desire that women should not exist, and as such makes you a bad person if you are like that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: August 27, 2011, 05:22:33 pm »

Bah, I hate the fact that I cant detect sarcasm in written comments.
This is a blank sig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: August 27, 2011, 05:24:09 pm »

Part of me thinks that the nerds need to kind of get over it, because it seems like the treatment of women is like "oh my god, potential girlfriend, must impress!!  Time to panic!" which isn't true anyway (perhaps I just don't get it, though, as someone who's always felt more comfortable with the opposite gender than with my own).

On the other hand, that's really less important to my complaints in this instance than the shop-keeper.  Selling to people is the dude's job.  A dude who is pathologically uncomfortable around all women and cannot sell to them probably shouldn't be working the counter, and could instead work in stock or similar.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: August 27, 2011, 05:26:36 pm »

And that is how we all learned that social ineptitude and inexperience in certain men is not the result of a personal lacking of sociability, but is in fact a brutal sexist desire that women should not exist, and as such makes you a bad person if you are like that.
On one hand you're right of course, ostracizing socially inept people isn't going to solve the problem (Common sense, damn you! Why must you always be in my way?). On the other hand, there is a very real problem here and we shouldn't deny that. As Vector said, people need to get over it somehow. Don't ask me how, but condoning this kind of behaviour because "they can't help it" is going to solve jack all.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:29:15 pm by Virex »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: August 27, 2011, 05:30:29 pm »

A dude who is pathologically uncomfortable around all women and cannot sell to them probably shouldn't be working the counter, and could instead work in stock or similar.
I've never actually been to a card/wargame/comic shop that wasn't owned and run be one or two people who were only doing so because they were total geeks themselves. I'm really not sure that sort of division of labour is practical.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: August 27, 2011, 05:32:00 pm »

On one hand you're right of course, ostracizing socially inept people isn't going to solve the problem. On the other hand, there is a very real problem here and we shouldn't deny that. As Vector said, people need to get over it somehow. Don't ask me how, but condoning this kind of behavior because "they can't help it" is going to solve jack all.

In the store employees, sure. They are being paid money to assist people and should perform that function regardless of aptitude. In the customers, that approach is stupid. Some people, like myself, honestly can not help it and should not be punished for it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: August 27, 2011, 05:33:35 pm »

You mean you have an actual psychological condition that prevents you from behaving appropriately when around women? You may want to get that looked at...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: August 27, 2011, 05:35:32 pm »

On one hand you're right of course, ostracizing socially inept people isn't going to solve the problem (Common sense, damn you! Why must you always be in my way?). On the other hand, there is a very real problem here and we shouldn't deny that. As Vector said, people need to get over it somehow. Don't ask me how, but condoning this kind of behaviour because "they can't help it" is going to solve jack all.
There is not a very real problem here. Some people are not comfortable around some other people. That does not mean they hate them, or have anything against them, it means only that they have an existent social anxiety to them. You say that they should "get over it", but one doesn't really "get over" not being socially graceful, that's just how they are. I say that you leave people who have done nothing wrong alone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: August 27, 2011, 05:41:24 pm »

You mean you have an actual psychological condition that prevents you from behaving appropriately when around women? You may want to get that looked at...

Any and all strangers that are trying to interact with me. I like to play D&D with friends at a local comic shop. I'm not discriminating against strangers for any reason besides them being strangers.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 852