Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854045 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4275 on: August 25, 2011, 10:25:37 pm »

That's it, if Rick Perry gets elected I'm taking that offer to study over in Australia. I'll go chill with Jackrabbit and Tack and them folks.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: August 25, 2011, 10:41:41 pm »

I'm not worried about Perry. It's not even the end of the primaries yet, and his lead isn't all that massive. It's going to change up once more of the other republicans drop out of the race and their supporters get divided up among the ones still running. And frankly, Perry is extreme even by Republican standards. Legal homosexuality has had a stable majority of the public opinion in the US for five or so years now, so Perry would be a fool to try and change that. Not only would it not pass, he would probably end up denounced as extremist even by fellow conservatives who are not insane.

What I'm more worried about is Obama running for a second term. He is not a good president, and if he cares about America he won't try for another term. Although, it may not even matter if he tries or not anyway. Presidents pretty much always win their party's primary, but Obama has seriously alienated the Democrats. Seeing a three-way race between the two major parties and a now independent incumbent would be interesting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:34 pm »

What I'm more worried about is Obama running for a second term. He is not a good president, and if he cares about America he won't try for another term.

Do you think any plausible democratic alternative would be better?

Also: As disappointing as Obama has been, I still believe that part of the reason for that is the fact that he has to pander to the right wing, and the right wing at the moment is hardly sane. You can only blame him so much for that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: August 25, 2011, 10:44:29 pm »

I'll tell you what I told Aqizzar last night.

There is no chance in all the burning hells that the general populace will be voting in another governor from Texas to the presidency any time soon. Bachmann has a better chance than Perry.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: August 25, 2011, 10:56:36 pm »

-snip-
Could you show me where it says that he want's to declare being homosexual a crime?
Yeah, he wants gay marriage to be illegal, but that's hardly the same thing.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: August 25, 2011, 10:58:01 pm »

What I'm more worried about is Obama running for a second term. He is not a good president, and if he cares about America he won't try for another term.
Do you think any plausible democratic alternative would be better?
Yes.
Also: As disappointing as Obama has been, I still believe that part of the reason for that is the fact that he has to pander to the right wing, and the right wing at the moment is hardly sane. You can only blame him so much for that.
Obama has proven through his actions that he is a compromising coward who cares about nothing but his approval rating, which ironically has killed his approval rating. I mean, fuck man, he doesn't even really "compromise" with the right-wing most of the time, he just gives them what they want. I was too young to vote when Obama's first election came along, but if I had voted for him I'd be even more pissed than I am now. Obama wasn't elected to be a slightly less crazy Bush in everything but name.

I want a President who has strong convictions about human rights and justice in the world, but the only Presidents who are ever willing to show political force for their ideals are the far-right nutjobs! No politician who cares about making the world a better place is willing to be strong about it! To defend their convictions and convince people that they are worth following!

The only way Obama is getting my vote is if he pulls a 180, right now. Otherwise, I don't care what he promises or what election cycle rhetoric he uses. "Yes We Can" was complete bullshit, and the mini-personality cult he had back in those days should have been a better warning sign. He is a weakling. A dammed, lying weakling who has no place as President of the United States.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: August 25, 2011, 11:02:10 pm »

I know I'm not the only one when I say that Obama's done a pretty good job with everyone breathing down his neck, considering how much failure and shit we were in at the beginning of his term, and how everyone is lazy as shit and all the rich, powerful people have been basically conspiring against the rest of the country since well, ever.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: August 25, 2011, 11:13:57 pm »

Hell yes, I'll have a couple days to register to vote in time this year! Time to get researching, self!

MetalSlimeHunt, that post of yours reminds me of an oh-so-unfortunately-true tweet about the DC earthquake.
Quote from: Paraphrase
Obama wanted the 'quake to be a 3.4, but the Republicans wanted a 5.8, so he compromised and called it a 5.8.
Still, he has done some good. Healthcare reform, for example.

Although I haven't seen many Democratic candidates yet. The only other that I've seen so far is Randall Taylor, a rather conservative pro-life (that's a stupid term) anti-abortion supporting candidate.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: August 25, 2011, 11:18:16 pm »

pro-life (that's a stupid term) anti-abortion
I just want to point out that people who use the marketing-laden label of Progressive for their political views shouldn't throw stones in the glass house that is terms-and-their-use-in-conversation.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: August 25, 2011, 11:21:47 pm »

1. I have never called myself Progressive. Liberal, perhaps.

2. Name one single person that isn't pro-life. Everyone wants to live. There's a difference between 'I am okay with abortions' and 'I am anti-life.'

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: August 25, 2011, 11:23:04 pm »

If I have to argue under the banner of "Pro-Death" in order to get women their reproductive rights, I'll do it.

I do not like the "pro-life" moniker, because it ignores the life of the woman; often, literally so, and is thus mendacious in the extreme.  Certainly, the "pro-choice" moniker ignores the choice-making ability of the fetus; on the other hand, I do not see anyone asking newborns what their major will be.

I don't think these terms are quite equal by way of truth-value.  Opinions?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: August 25, 2011, 11:27:35 pm »

I would think that pro-choice and anti-choice would suffice. Or perhaps 'Against abortions' and 'In support of abortion as an option', but those are a bit long for casual conversation.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: August 25, 2011, 11:38:14 pm »

Well, nobody wants "anti" in front of anything good in their position's name. I can see where they're coming from with that, especially because I think that (to them) choice isn't the issue they're fighting over. To call them "anti-choice" is a misnomer, because whether or not there's choice involved isn't a question that's even on their radar; to them, it's about what you're doing to the fetus. Now, I don't think that's a defense; hell, if anything, it's insulting that a woman's control over her own body is apparently so unimportant that the rhetoric just tries to brush it under the rug in favor of even-more-loaded terminology like "pro-life". I... don't have any solutions, because my ability to sleep has been slightly fucked for the past week and I'm a caffeine zombie at this hour, and I didn't resolve this the last time I thought about it. So, yeah. Sorry about that, just trying to come at this from a know-thy-enemy perspective thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: August 25, 2011, 11:40:37 pm »

My argument wasn't to denigrate what anyone believes, but to point out the labels that we use for ourselves will often be positively charged, and that taking away these terms that other people use for themselves is saying -- in my opinion -- that they, as people, do not deserve the right to see themselves as a positive influence in the world.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: August 25, 2011, 11:42:33 pm »

Right, well, I only have problems with "pro-life" because of the implication that anybody else must logically be "anti-life" or "pro-death" or however you want to phrase it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 852