Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853910 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4260 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:12 am »

Currently I prefer to accumulate things of value rather than save, since my savings are doing fuck all in the bank. I'm lucky enough to have well-off parents who aren't ungenerous, although thankfully they didn't spoil me as a kid and I have to do stuff for them to get the Bank of Dad to open his wallet, and I do have income from a shit job.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: August 25, 2011, 07:33:44 am »

My parents taught me to cherish money... The best thing life are either free or bloody cheap - in my case, those'd be friends, Linux and the Internet. I did get an allowance, but since I didn't spend it, my father decided to invest in funds and stocks for me. It netted me a few thousand euros before I turned eighteen.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: August 25, 2011, 07:59:56 am »

My grandfather set up a savings account in my name when I was born and made a deposit to it every birthday and christmas. He was a thoughtful and quiet man (didn't help that WWII handed him an injury that slowly destroyed his hearing) who never preached or admonished, but I think he wanted to make a simple point to his grandchildren by doing this.

I wonder if I still have the bank book with all his deposit entries somewhere. The bank switched to a fully electronic system in the mid nineties (and after my grandfather died) so it wasn't really useful afterwards, but it would be a nice memorabilia. Haven't thought about that before.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: August 25, 2011, 08:50:30 am »

My mom was always so thoughtless with money. I remember one time where I was responsible to bring some Milk for a High School picnic.

At this point in my life, I naturally have no income or allowance, and we didn't already have an unopened gallon of Milk, So I ask my mom for some money.

"We don't have any money."

What Mom? We don't have any money?

"Yeah, none at all. tough break."

I thoroughly scrounged the entire house, and I find that the house has already been thoroughly scrounged of every last cent of spare change. I didn't want to look bad in front of my HS friends, so I asked (read: begged) a non-HS friend next door to give me the dollar or so I needed to get a single gallon of milk. That was so embarrassing. I really hated my Mom for how she'd frivolously waste money growing up on her vices, but to this day I wonder how she managed to use every single last cent in the household.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4264 on: August 25, 2011, 09:03:05 am »

savings are good.
especially because when you're little and nothing picks your interest, you accumulate.
then you reach university, have to survive on your own, and the likes, and that's were they start burning up.
i have something like 3.500 euros stashed in my house (buuuhhhhh place them in the bank!) and 1.200 stashed in the bank (what? why only this little?)
since i went to university, i withdrew  much money from the bank to avoid, in case of losing the credit card/bancomat to lose everything before realizing i lost it.
i used to have far more. and it's all money saved from when i was little, and had to go from 5 euros a month, to then slowly 10, then 15. then 20, but 10 from my mother and 10 from my grandmothers. birthday parties and the likes. but i always was the eat everything which is eatable of the family, so snacks and the likes did take their tolls.
My brother on the other hand...last time he "counted" his money (like de paperoni, you know the uncle of donald duck?) he was at quota 9000.
i actually made calculations. considering birthday days and onomastic...
he actually only spended 620 euros of his own...
i need to learn how he manage this.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: August 25, 2011, 01:58:11 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gallup-perry-leading-nationally-romney-second-paul-third-212542697.html

While I am happy Bauchman is 4th, look who the first is.... He wants to criminalize being gay and gut the constitution. The separation of power and checks and balances was set up specifically to stop what you want to do....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: August 25, 2011, 03:01:39 pm »

Read that today and I'll admit I never heard of the guy.  Started reading his position on things and I'm astounded that he's a frontrunner.  My only guess is that the religious decided, "We're not gonna have another Muslim" and got out to vote.  (I'm not trying to offend those of you who are religious, but I get enough emails on a regular basis from people that depict that vibe and I guess they decided to start doing something besides forwarding that crap to me.)

fakeedit:  I see he's been on (and in conversations on) Glenn Beck recently. (realedit: for that matter, he's been on Beck's side practically the whole time...)  Maybe that's the reason for the surge.  (AKA in other circles: The Colbert Bump)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:07:07 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: August 25, 2011, 04:03:08 pm »

Read that today and I'll admit I never heard of the guy.  Started reading his position on things and I'm astounded that he's a frontrunner.  My only guess is that the religious decided, "We're not gonna have another Muslim" and got out to vote.  (I'm not trying to offend those of you who are religious, but I get enough emails on a regular basis from people that depict that vibe and I guess they decided to start doing something besides forwarding that crap to me.)
When did Muslims stop being religious?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: August 25, 2011, 04:04:26 pm »

Come on, don't argue over point, it's quite obvious he meant to say "The religious, conservative christian right".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: August 25, 2011, 04:05:36 pm »

Oh hmm. Well, shows how much I know about common US rhetorics XD

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: August 25, 2011, 04:11:05 pm »

It can be assumed that when someone is talking about "the religious" in the US, they mean some manner of Christian. When it comes to other religions in the US, only Judaism is above 1% of the population, and that's just barely at 1.7%.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: August 25, 2011, 05:59:13 pm »

While I am happy Bauchman is 4th, look who the first is.... He wants to criminalize being gay and gut the constitution. The separation of power and checks and balances was set up specifically to stop what you want to do....
Luckily they would need to get a full 75% of states to have an overwhelming majority agree with them to gut the constitution. It's pretty hard to amend that thing. As for criminalizing homosexuality, that's a horrific idea. Not only that, but he probably knows it. It's likely he's just saying that to buy votes in full knowledge that he can't actually do that, but still, the idea of him even saying that and still becoming president would blow my mind to smithereens.

Alternatively, he's dumb enough to think that could happen. That could be scarier.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4272 on: August 25, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gallup-perry-leading-nationally-romney-second-paul-third-212542697.html

Yeah, I think I'd rather have Ron Paul over him any day. And to think my grandfather wants him in ::)

Any source on that though?

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: August 25, 2011, 06:53:57 pm »

It'd be amazing if Paul actually got in, as nobody would vote when the election came around. :p

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: August 25, 2011, 08:26:45 pm »

Luckily they would need to get a full 75% of states to have an overwhelming majority agree with them to gut the constitution. It's pretty hard to amend that thing. As for criminalizing homosexuality, that's a horrific idea. Not only that, but he probably knows it. It's likely he's just saying that to buy votes in full knowledge that he can't actually do that, but still, the idea of him even saying that and still becoming president would blow my mind to smithereens.

Alternatively, he's dumb enough to think that could happen. That could be scarier.

Think about that, a governmentally sanctioned bigoted policy striping away the rights of an entire class of people and declaring them criminals by birth.... Land of the free and home of the brave my ass; gays scare the shit out of homophobic people. There's no reason for this. He wants to gut the courts by revising Article III and then of course he'd somehow endrun or outright "legislatively overturn?" Lawrence v. Texas once he had changed the constitution. Gah.... Perry, you fucker, I'm a person with rights and you shouldn't change very basics of the constitution while claiming with a straight face to want the intent of the founders.... They intended what they wrote down, you hack....

Yeah, I think I'd rather have Ron Paul over him any day. And to think my grandfather wants him in ::)

Any source on that though?

Source on what? Here's my anti Rick Perry Post: it shows lots of things he likes and I don't.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/05/rick-perry-college-transcript_n_919357.html
So, he doesn't like undergraduate colleges because he didn't do well in them

"He rarely earned anything above a C in his courses -- earning a C in U.S. History, a D in Shakespeare, and a D in the principles of economics. Perry got a C in gym."

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2011/08/hot-rick-perry-threatens-ben-bernanke.html
And because he knows so much about economics: He's threatening the head of the federal reserve with words like "almost treasonous." Treason is a capital offense so this implies a violent response is in order.... [sigh] He's basically speaking as a thug and even Karl Rove, a Bush Adviser, is pretty much saying that about him http://www.whotv.com/news/nationworld/la-pn-rick-perry-treason-react-20110816,0,6285842.story

http://news.yahoo.com/rick-roll-perry-backs-teaching-creationism-public-schools-211637043.html
Creationism....

http://governor.state.tx.us/priorities/economy/tax_regulatory_reform/tort_reform/
Tort Reform means you can't sue easily if you get hurt cause only people and not, say, giant tobacco companies file frivolous lawsuits http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Tobacco-companies-file-apf-2819873500.html?x=0&.v=3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Perry#Social_Security
He doesn't like social security and thinks it is unconstitutional . He published a book to this effect IN FALL OF 2010 but promptly backpedaled once he realized older Americans wouldn't vote for him if he didn't. That's right, it takes him less than a year to change critical views he felt strongly enough to write a freaking book about: "Flip flopper."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Perry#Environmental_issues
Doesn't go for global warming as man made....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15/governor-says-texans-want-secede-union-probably-wont/
He doesn't expressly say Texas should leave the United States, but he doesn't mind his supporters saying "Secede!" and when asked to clarify his statement, he doesn't dismiss it....

So between the above and this link to my last post about him:

He's basically George W. Bush who expressly wants to change the constitution.

This guy scares the shit out of me, because he is basically trying to kill the American Constitution's system of checks and balances while claiming to defend that constitution as he rewrites and perverts it while entertaining ideas about his state leaving the country.... And, people love him for it....

Is there anything more "Unamerican" than giving veiled threats to take an entire state out of America? Unveiled threats perhaps?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:30:41 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 852