Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853807 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4215 on: August 23, 2011, 04:25:22 pm »

I've always wondered why religious people tend to be on the pro-life side of the argument. Seems to me that they'd have it much easier the other way; they could claim the soul enters the body at any arbitrary date.

Popular Judeo-Christian religion is all about controlling sexuality and always has been. Consequence-free impregnation, of all things, wouldn't fit.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: August 23, 2011, 04:29:03 pm »

Hrm, yeah there's that too. Contraception's like, the best thing since sliced bread and that I've never understood why ANYONE would be against it. Yet here some religions don't like it, for whatever reason.

/shrug
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: August 23, 2011, 04:30:00 pm »

I know the catholic church's current reasoning on the topic was estwblished in some council or other in the late nineteenth century. Before that they subscribed to the gradual gestation of the soul theory.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: August 23, 2011, 04:38:44 pm »

I know the catholic church's current reasoning on the topic was estwblished in some council or other in the late nineteenth century. Before that they subscribed to the gradual gestation of the soul theory.
According to wikipedia, you are wrong.
The Catholic Church has been opposed to contraception for as far back as one can historically trace.[3][4] Many early Catholic Church Fathers made statements condemning the use of contraception including John Chrysostom, Jerome, Clement of Alexandria, Hippolytus of Rome, Augustine of Hippo and various others.[5][6][7] Among the condemnations is one by Jerome which refers to an apparent oral form of contraception: "Some go so far as to take potions, that they may insure barrenness, and thus murder human beings almost before their conception."[8] The Catechism of the Catholic Church specifies that all sex acts must be both unitive and procreative.[9] In addition to condemning use of artificial birth control as intrinsically evil,[10] non-procreative sex acts such as mutual masturbation and anal sex are ruled out as ways to avoid pregnancy.[11]
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: August 23, 2011, 04:46:47 pm »

No I'm not. I never said they did not oppose abortion or contraception beforehand. I simply remarked that the current reasoning behind their opposition to abortion comes from a council done in the nineteenth century. It's a reply to the post done by the horse avatr guy some pages bsck
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: August 23, 2011, 05:12:16 pm »

How it really is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q&feature=player_embedded#!

Carlin is never safe for work.

RIP, one of the greater U.S. Progressive Liberals: George Carin, May 12, 1937 – June 22, 2008.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:16:53 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: August 23, 2011, 05:15:21 pm »

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #4222 on: August 23, 2011, 05:21:00 pm »

How it really is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q&feature=player_embedded#!

Carlin is never safe for work.

RIP, one of the greater U.S. Progressive Liberals: George Carin, May 12, 1937 – June 22, 2008.

Man, at this rate of Carlin postin' you'll be my favourite person on this forum in no time :b

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: August 23, 2011, 09:04:28 pm »

From Shakesville; comments are kind of wonky, so don't read them.
You ain't kidding.
no evangelicals can be MDs.  Problem solved!
/retch

Yeah, seriously.  I'm not so fond of yammery atheist groups.  The site is great for some things, but they've got their very own flavor of bigotry.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: August 23, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »

Yeah, seriously.  I'm not so fond of yammery atheist groups.  The site is great for some things, but they've got their very own flavor of bigotry.

Erg, yes.

One thing I've learned from knowing people from the Portland/Washington/Berkeley areas is that liberals/progressives can be just as pigheaded, irritating, and groupthinky as any group I don't normally agree with. Same thing with Internet atheists.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: August 23, 2011, 09:31:08 pm »

I never run out of places to post this. This time, though, it's not because I think it applies to the people I'm talking to, so that's a plus.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: August 24, 2011, 04:09:35 am »

I never run out of places to post this. This time, though, it's not because I think it applies to the people I'm talking to, so that's a plus.

Totally agree...

I think I already posted about this... one of our beloved True Finn MPs in Finland got into a minor shitstorm for using the "n-word". It's not as serious here in Finland as it's in many places - it was only starting to decline as an everyday word for black people some 20 years ago, I think. Various anti-racist groups targeted the MP, which is good, but... heck, the guy gives a statement like Those nigger guys come to Finland, they can't speak Finnish apart from saying "refugee" at the border and whoop they're in! and the worst part is supposedly the "n-word"? Gimme a break...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: August 24, 2011, 12:41:54 pm »

Eh, I agree that sometimes words like "bigot" etc, fly too often; though it is equally true that people dismiss minority claims too often.

One of the main issues is that discrimination certainly exists, but now it is more hidden. Whereas in the past, bigots openly stated their views all the time, this is now rare, because bigots have figured out they will be punished if they are open about it. Thus, they are still bigots, but they are hiding. The result is mistakes on both sides of the pendulum as it swings blindly and too far: too much or too little.

My dad is a prime example. He pretends to be the most inclusive son of a bitch ever, except when he talks to me alone. He then says bigoted things like "We should just bomb all the muslims to death," "the blacks think we owe them a living," "they can be gay but I never ever wanna see those kid touchers," "the damn mexicans are ruining the country," and things about Obama I won't even mention. It's ok if you don't like his politics, but the fact that he is black or that his middle name is a common one for muslims, is not a valid basis to make fun of the guy.

It's really hard overall.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:49:35 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #4228 on: August 24, 2011, 12:46:07 pm »

It's not hard by itself, we've just made it hard.

Treating people with respect and dignity and showing them why they're wrong proves more than condemning them for saying the wrong word.

Take a racist man with you to an african-american household and make him live there for a week, I don't think he'll be racist when he returns.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: August 24, 2011, 12:48:39 pm »

It's not hard by itself, we've just made it hard.

Treating people with respect and dignity and showing them why they're wrong proves more than condemning them for saying the wrong word.

Take a racist man with you to an african-american household and make him live there for a week, I don't think he'll be racist when he returns.

He'll be more racist and say he now has practical experience to "justify" this. :(
The problem is they don't want to learn; they "know how it really works."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:50:41 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 852