Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853799 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4170 on: August 22, 2011, 05:38:15 pm »

Let me explain this to you guys: voting software does not work:
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/michigan_students_hack_into_dc.html
With the right bored students, it does, however, play the UM fight song. :)

I know it's another sexual violence story.  Sue me.  This one is more about trans-ness than anything else, so go read it.

Couple slated to lose home for paying mortgage too early.
Both of these are total and utter "what the fuck"s.

Once again, history repeats itself. This is pretty close to the same case as this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_v._Brennan

In regards to Farmer v. Brennan:
Farmer was a Male to Female Transsexual serving time for a relatively minor crime. Because she was trans, she was placed in the male prison population. She presented as and looked like a female. In case it isn't blatantly obvious what happened: "She was repeatedly raped and beaten by the other inmates and acquired HIV as a result. Farmer claimed that the prison administration should have known that she was particularly vulnerable to sexual violence." All of this is absolutely true and easily apparent to anyone who is not patently stupid, which is exactly why Conservative Supreme Court Justices don't get it and managed to convince the liberal ones.

The prison did absolutely nothing and the US Supreme Court did approximately jack shit. :)....

If you're trans, then you're screwed, period. The court basically set a standard for prisons about prisoner rape that "If the guards don't witness it or directly know about it, o well, no duty to do anything (This is the "deliberately indifference" standard). "Magically," every god damn prison guard in the whole country went blind and stupid. None of them ever saw or knew a damn thing ever again, because if they didn't "know about or see abuse, sexual or otherwise, it didn't count and they didn't have to do shit about it...."

In summation, the court admits being beaten and raped in prison is not part of a prisoner's debt to society, but then refuses to do a damn thing about it. Rather, they make holding anyone accountable for not doing anything about it practically impossible, which is effectively the same thing. They also know that Farmer, as a transsexual who was somehow placed in a male prison population was almost certain to be raped, a lot, but simply don't care.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/92-7247.ZS.html
"Petitioner, a preoperative transsexual who projects feminine characteristics, has been incarcerated with other males [???] in the federal prison system" <---- Problem, needs to change. "Other males?"

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/128166543.html

What I really love about this bullshit, "A source close to the prison system, who asked not to be identified, complained that the slip-up "jeopardized a lot of women over there [at Riverside]," adding that Saldana tallied at least two infractions for fighting with other inmates during Saldana's stint in the female jail. On average, Riverside houses about 730 inmates daily, Hawes said."

So you're worried about everyone else's rights, and endangerment, except hers (the transsexual person's)? And then, you read the comments on this site.... Everyone, even the backwards commenters realize what is going to happen....

Transsexuals: "We're not people; it's ok to beat, rape and infect us with HIV, or do nothing to prevent others, who you know or should know will, from doing so."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:14:30 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: August 22, 2011, 06:11:22 pm »

I really want to respond to all of that, but then I read those articles and my brain about died. That's overwhelming idiocy and cruelty by the state, if ever I have seen any.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: August 22, 2011, 06:17:38 pm »

Oh, and also, Cosmo fails again:

Here's the advice women get when they want to be promoted!  Huzzah!

For fuck's sake.  I can write a better list than that, and I've never been employed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: August 22, 2011, 06:22:27 pm »

At my workplace, not having coffee breath is considered suspicious.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: August 22, 2011, 06:39:51 pm »

Oh, and also, Cosmo fails again:

Here's the advice women get when they want to be promoted!  Huzzah!

For fuck's sake.  I can write a better list than that, and I've never been employed.

I'm gonna want some studies on that. This reeks even more than usual of somebody passing off "common sense" as clever insight (the actual suggestions here neither of these things), and wrapping it up in a confidence-undermining package for no good reason. Well, that and the oddly specific pieces of advice gives me the odd impression that there was a particular person the author works with who is the subject of this thing.

Sure, you can manipulate superficial features to get people to like you, but coffee doesn't usually smell that bad and I strongly suspect nobody's going to notice unless you're making out with your boss, or taking your boss for a walk (because he is a dog somehow in this scenario, but not the former). Y'know, as a for instance.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: August 22, 2011, 07:11:29 pm »

That list is probably useful for people without common sense...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: August 22, 2011, 07:28:01 pm »

On the lists for men I've seen, that entire list would go under one package of "taking care of appearances," where they would mention all of those traits.  There'd also be a lot of other advice about taking risks, learning foreign languages, not sharing certain information in the office, getting skills in hot areas, and so on, and so forth.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: August 22, 2011, 07:33:05 pm »

I dunno. My sister said having coffee breath is vital, that and making friends with your bosses boss.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: August 22, 2011, 07:35:45 pm »

... Okay, yeah, the raging sexism is a problem too. Is it weird that I assume this is so standard for Cosmo that it didn't even occur to me to mention it? Weird or no, it's problematic. I shouldn't skip over it just because I expect it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: August 22, 2011, 07:43:55 pm »

Oh, and also, dudes get advice on shit like giving good handshakes.  This is why I know to go straight for the articles that show serious-looking men in suits.

I think the interesting thing, Bauglir, is that you expect the standard magazine marketed at women (and probably largely written by women) to be ragingly sexist.

Internalized sexism =/

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: August 22, 2011, 08:00:50 pm »

Hm... I'm unsure. You're accusing me of having internalized sexism there, yes? If so, I'd say it's more internalized cynicism. I know that popular culture aimed specifically at women is, in general, ridiculously sexist, especially in magazines. And Cosmo itself already has a reputation in my mind as being the sort of magazine to write articles implying that the most important parts of a woman's life ought to be how good she looks, and how happy she's keeping her boyfriend or husband. That said, I've never actually read an issue; the impression I've got is solely based on magazine covers I've seen before, so it could be pretty far off from the actual content, and I could further be imagining a composite with other popular culture magazines that have nothing to do with it. I can't honestly say I pay close enough attention to magazines I see to be sure I'm assigning the correct content to the correct titles, so I apologize if I've come to a ridiculous conclusion.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: August 22, 2011, 08:07:16 pm »

No, I'm saying that the women do.  They are marketing sexism to themselves.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: August 22, 2011, 08:19:29 pm »

Oh, okay. Apparently this was my weekly fail at Internet Sense Motive. Glad to get that out of the way this early! I thought that might have been about the implication that I assumed women would write a sexist magazine (I hadn't actually even considered the probable gender of the authors until your post, actually, but I'm glad you pointed it out).

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:33 pm »

I would like to throw out a few idea morsels for everyones consumption:

Is it what they're selling, or what we're buying?

Also I'd like to point out that young men get all shitty in their heads about themselves, and yes, young women get all shitty in their heads about themselves.  I would posit that this has something to do that we, as both males and females living in our society, have a strong tendency to get all shitty in the head about ourselves, some people grow out of it, some become it.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 852