Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854017 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4125 on: August 22, 2011, 04:29:43 am »

Why open source? I agree that how they work should be a matter of public record, but you don't have to be all anti-copyright about it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: August 22, 2011, 04:37:09 am »

I didn't say anti-copyright. I said open source.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: August 22, 2011, 04:53:13 am »

Would an open source voting system make it easier to rig the elections? After all, open source systems often contain just as many bugs and weak points as closed source systems, but now anyone can find them...

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: August 22, 2011, 04:58:12 am »

Would an open source voting system make it easier to rig the elections? After all, open source systems often contain just as many bugs and weak points as closed source systems, but now anyone can find them...

The reason I think voting systems should be open source is precisely that everyone can find the bugs and errors, present proof of them and request them to be corrected. I don't really see any downsides.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: August 22, 2011, 05:46:11 am »

Okay, I think there's a breakdown in terminology here.

"Open source" generally implies not only that the code is viewable by anyone, but also that it's free for anyone to use or modify (often with some licensing attached). It sounds like you only mean that it should be viewable, though, and I agree to that; it should be a matter of public record.

If there are problems, then the people deserve to know about them. Also, if the workings of the machines are treated as secret and protected, that opens the door to completely untraceable corruption, especially when they're produced by large corporations who undoubtedly have political clout themselves.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: August 22, 2011, 05:53:37 am »

Hackers pretty much pride themselves on being able to figure out programs without the source, so just handing it to them won't help them all that much. And has been pointed out, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to fix potential holes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: August 22, 2011, 06:12:54 am »

In my opinion, keeping anything secret or closed about the inner workings of an electronic voting system is like holding an election and not telling people the rules.

They're testing out internet voting in some municipalities here this year, and it worries me a little. An important part of free and fair elections is that each individual gets to vote without peer pressure. When voting from home, nothing stops dominating relatives from hovering over your shoulder and making sure you pick the right party.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:35:09 am by olemars »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: August 22, 2011, 06:25:20 am »

"Open source" generally implies not only that the code is viewable by anyone, but also that it's free for anyone to use or modify (often with some licensing attached). It sounds like you only mean that it should be viewable, though, and I agree to that; it should be a matter of public record.

Uh, isn't that what's typically meant by "free software"? At least one of my free software activist friends always corrects me when I use the term open source for software with open source but not otherwise free licencing.

Wikipedia provides a very broad definition that isn't really helpful in determining whether "read-only open source" is commonly considered open source... whether that counts as access to source material depends on the definition of "access". (EDIT: Turns out that OSI uses nearly identical criteria to FSF, so I guess you were right)

For the record, some Finnish officials require some degree of openness from certain systems. In this case, the openness means that the code is free to read but not necessarily free to copy or reuse. Yeah, it may be a bit hard to enforce that "no"-part.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:27:09 am by Kay12 »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: August 22, 2011, 06:39:34 am »

More voting fraud revealed.
Hmm, and a year later this programmer is actually running against the guy he claims has rigged the elections.
This is too convoluted and has too many angles and conflicts of interest to be taken seriously, I'm afraid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Curtis

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: August 22, 2011, 06:41:31 am »

More voting fraud revealed.
This is too convoluted and has too many angles and conflicts of interest to be taken seriously, I'm afraid.

Maybe so, but it's still disturbing. Whether his claims are true or not, it shows that something's wrong in modern politics :(

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: August 22, 2011, 06:43:29 am »

Cheating is normal, allowing it isn't. I'm really glad I can still vote with a pencil and a piece of paper.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: August 22, 2011, 06:48:59 am »

Yeah, pen and paper voting is harder to rig and won't malfunction as easily... but for the sake of efficiency, I hope they'll manage to get really working electronic voting systems.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4138 on: August 22, 2011, 06:58:42 am »

Yeah, pen and paper voting is harder to rig and won't malfunction as easily... but for the sake of efficiency, I hope they'll manage to get really working electronic voting systems.

meh, i wouldn't see it difficult to do such a thing. without even doing something program related.
you just place a server with NO connection to the net, nisba, not even half. or an inch.
like a big database.
you place one for each *voting place*
you place a monitor and ONLY a mouse.
so the input is just the mouse click.
the people you can vote for are on the screen. you click the one you want to vote, while someone, who stands in front of you but can't see your screen, looks what you're doing with your hands. so you can't use machineries of sort.
once it's done, you move all the databases to HQ and you make the counts there.
and the people who has vote rights present themselves at the pc the functionares have readied for them, after getting their data, so he's already logged in. and then he's auto logged off.
End of the problem.
 no internet, no hackers.
no extra machinery, no way to hack it.
i do believe it would end up being slower (do to having to set for each monitor the account name for the vote of the person) but even then, it's safe.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: August 22, 2011, 07:03:39 am »

Not at all. Those papers have to be hand-counted. Just slip a few of the counters a banknote and observe the results change.

Also, my experience with open source is the people only fix the bugs that are fun to fix and that a project needs a large user base to even get updates because nobody is going to work on something they don't use. Now, I may be misjudging here, but I doubt there are a lot of people that are going to dig through the code of a voting system every time an update is pushed. Unless of course they are looking for something that would benefit them personally (the normal reason to push an update).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:06:43 am by Virex »
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 852