Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854605 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4020 on: August 20, 2011, 02:27:07 pm »

Maybe they were regarded as a problem before the products existed, though. Just not a solvable one at the time. I think there are plenty of products that are supplied yet crash down in flames (IE: nintendo's powerglove)

Whatever, I clearly need to stop participating in this thread since I am clearly incapable of projecting my thoughts correctly. Blegh.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:29:04 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: August 20, 2011, 02:28:43 pm »

"Generic white people" being looked down upon is rather different to me than "specific nations mostly containing white people."

On the other hand, the Poles have kind of gotten the short end of a lot of sticks =/

I apologize for the "supply creates its own demand" thing.  The advertising statement is closer to true.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #4022 on: August 20, 2011, 02:29:49 pm »

No, because white people do not have a history of being portrayed as beasts and animals in general.

Really depends on where and when.
Agreed. Jews (depending on whether or not you consider them 'white'), the Irish, Germans, Russians, Italians, etc.

Jews and Italians in particular have a long history of being depicted as rat-like in propaganda. Anti-German propaganda in WWI had "the Hun" being about as close to nonhuman as possible.

I shouldn't even have to mention, that the black slaves of the Americas was sold to white people by black people, and that the Turks took many white slaves too.

It's really not as black and white as people want to paint it, with the evil white manly overlords.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: August 20, 2011, 02:30:19 pm »

Advertising amplifies demand might be a better wording.
This is a blank sig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: August 20, 2011, 02:34:02 pm »

The reason why I don't mention that sort of thing is that people tend to use that as a sort of justification.  "They were doing it, too!  Why is it a problem that we shipped them off their continent?  It's not like we were doing anything more than they were!"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #4025 on: August 20, 2011, 02:36:16 pm »

The reason why I don't mention that sort of thing is that people tend to use that as a sort of justification.  "They were doing it, too!  Why is it a problem that we shipped them off their continent?  It's not like we were doing anything more than they were!"

So you think we should hide facts because we don't want to give them nonsense justification? If we want a fair and progressive way of life, everything must be on the table and people must discuss the real world and it's nuances instead of chasing strawmen.

Edit: Sorry that came out harsh, long and hard day with a bit of irritation, it's just meant to say I don't believe in ignoring facts when they are important.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: August 20, 2011, 02:38:11 pm »

Would it have been racist if it were a white male throwing a head with an 80's heavy metal haircut?

No, because white people do not have a history of being portrayed as beasts and animals in general.
In this thread I have seen nothing but.

Really? I actually haven't seen many posts arguing that white people are terrible people for being white. I've seen a lot of posts arguing that terrible people who have been white have, due to being white, been in a position to better demonstrate being terrible, which is a pretty different argument. Kind of like the difference between saying black people are unintelligent and saying that black people have, due to being black, had less opportunity to display their intelligence (due to shitty economic conditions and craptacular education).

There've been some posts that have made that sort of claim, I can't argue that, but I haven't gotten the sense that they're anything like a majority. Maybe I'm being overly generous in how I'm understanding the things people are saying. If you feel people here are giving the implication that White Man's Guilt is any more valid than White Man's Burden, I'll keep that in mind and try to put more work into arguing against that, too. Can't speak for anyone else posting, I suppose, but I think the two are equally ridiculous concepts, for much the same reasons.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: August 20, 2011, 02:40:51 pm »

Have said it before and will say it again - the tail does not wag the dog.
This is a blank sig.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: August 20, 2011, 02:47:35 pm »

On the other hand, the Poles have kind of gotten the short end of a lot of sticks =/
Only in recent history, though.
We have a glorious past to nostalgia about.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: August 20, 2011, 02:51:56 pm »

Glorious past as in murder, rape and slavery? I don't know one country that should be proud of it's history and being proud that your country has won a war isn't just bigoted, it's a fucking insult to the victims of war everywhere.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #4030 on: August 20, 2011, 02:53:42 pm »

The worst thing about discussing racism on the internet is it's always from an American perspective, how about Arabians and Turks killing Kurds?

How the Russians brainwashes/ed other white Uralic and other cultures to be Russian?

The treatment of the Sápmi or the Greenlanders?

Why isn't the racism a Swede can experience in Finland or Denmark relevant?

Is the way the Berbers are treated in Morocco also less worth our interest?

China and Tibet, Japan and Ainu, Israeli and Palestina, The massive racism in the Balkans, I mean seriously, why is it always "White men are evil against everyone with another skin colour."

Other skin colours are just as bad, White people just happened to end up the dominating culture, we're not inherently more evil and racist, so stop using "White man" as a reason for why there is racism.

Glorious past as in murder, rape and slavery? I don't know one country that should be proud of it's history and being proud that your country has won a war isn't just bigoted, it's a fucking insult to the victims of war everywhere.

Could hardly disagree more, even if I tried hard to.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: August 20, 2011, 02:55:12 pm »

Feel free to give an example then ;)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: August 20, 2011, 02:56:53 pm »

I don't think anyone is doing that.

The Burakumin situation in Japan is kind of interesting.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: August 20, 2011, 02:59:34 pm »

Around here, racism mostly takes form in the shape of jokes about other nationalities. Mostly the Portuguese and the Belgians (to be fair, the Belgians are partly being made fun of their driving practices, which are among the worst I have seen).
People seem to think it's okay, because it's not directed towards, say, the Cap Verdians or the Chinese that live here.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: August 20, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »

That comment was slightly tounge-in-cheek.
I'm not know for patriotic or nationalistic tendencies.

But that's not all.
First attempt of a democracy in medieval times (even though only for the nobility) happened in that country, if you want a peacuful example.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 852