Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854321 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3915 on: August 18, 2011, 05:06:02 pm »

Yeah, Mattasmack covered basically what I was trying to say.

And reducing the speed to 35 was in the interests of building something geared towards affordability and safety rather than speed.

But yeah, the future of solar seems much more likely to be fixed installations - why drag it with you, reducing efficiency, when you can charge up and leave the charging devices behind?

This sort of stuff is a lot more relevant to, say, space exploration, or remote reconnaissance, or autonomous robotics, than it is any sort of public transport. (In other words, areas where it IS important to drag a replenishing power source around with you)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: August 18, 2011, 05:07:35 pm »

The problem with triple junction cells is that they're damned hard to make and need special dopants to function, which are quite rare. As a result, it's doubtful if it'll ever be possible to mass produce them in quantities that are enough to keep up with the growth of the energy demand, let alone replace the existing sources with them. There's a reason sillicon solar cells are still the most important type of cell on the market.

Mattasmack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: August 18, 2011, 05:38:50 pm »

Yeah we all knew that (well, except Truean, I was as puzzled as Glyph but chose to ignore). The real question is...

Will they fly?  :D

:)  My aeronautics design book is around here somewhere, we could figure this out ... but my guess is yes, at least for short distances.  Though unless stability and control issues are addressed, the flight would probably consist of just flipping over.

The problem with triple junction cells is that they're damned hard to make and need special dopants to function, which are quite rare. As a result, it's doubtful if it'll ever be possible to mass produce them in quantities that are enough to keep up with the growth of the energy demand, let alone replace the existing sources with them. There's a reason sillicon solar cells are still the most important type of cell on the market.

Well, shoot.  I know there are companies bringing high-concentration PV modules to market, but I can't for the life of me find a website at the moment to give an example, and I have to sign off.  The triple junction cells are much much more expensive, true, but if you have 500x concentration, you only need 1/500th as much cell area, and the concentrating optics are much cheaper than the cells in terms of aperture area.  (Plus the system is more efficient than silicon cells, so your system is smaller overall for a given amount of output power.)  I don't know anything about the dopants that go into them, though, or their availability, so yeah I could see that being a major issue (similar to the recent rare-earths scare in the U.S. I suppose).

On a related subject, getting an office building to zero net electrity use requires some pretty drastic office lifestyle changes, using current technology:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/science/15building.html?_r=1
Cool project, but I wonder how long the people there will stay on their 'best behavior'?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: August 18, 2011, 05:40:44 pm »

Yeah we all knew that (well, except Truean, I was as puzzled as Glyph but chose to ignore). The real question is...

Will they fly?  :D

:)  My aeronautics design book is around here somewhere, we could figure this out ... but my guess is yes, at least for short distances.  Though unless stability and control issues are addressed, the flight would probably consist of just flipping over.

Just add enough wing.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: August 18, 2011, 06:33:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hesitate to post because I don't think I'll be able to keep up with the conversation, but what the heck ...
I do so enjoy fencing here, such good sport. :) That said, never be afraid to take me head on with the same level of respect you'd like. I never stab to harm; no one else should either.

Yay, solar power, a subject I actually know anything about!  I hope I'm not totally derailed here ... could the future of transportation (which also touches on the future of energy supplies and delivery systems) be considered a progressive topic?

If A = B, and B=C then A =C. If Progressive subjects include environmentalism and environmentalism includes solar power, then solar power is included in progressive subjects? :)

Truean, I think you're still a little wide of the mark here.  The paragraph you quote lists opportunities to engage in a number of steps of the engineering design process ("brainstorm ideas, develop solutions and test prototypes"), but it does not at all mean that the activities of the groups it lists are limited to only those listed activities.  The paragraph is describing opportunities for collaboration, it's not even primarily about the solar car team.  I'm sure the students on that team do prototyping ... prototypes of the solar car, the final version of which is what they enter into races.

I'm sure the team will make a new car in the next two academic years, and will build on the knowledge they gained from this car, but that no more makes this a prototype than it makes any 2011-model-year car a prototype of the 2012-model-year car.  Their goal for a given car is to win a solar car race, and the car they enter into the race is their final product.
I don't really get why everyone is making a big deal out of me saying the cars are prototypes.
I think the problem seems to be people here are attaching a negative connotation to the word "prototype." There is nothing negative about the word "prototype". I often find breaking things down into CRAC helps....

[Conclusion] It is a Functional Prototype. [Rule/Definition] A Functional Prototype is construction of a fully working full-scale prototype and the ultimate test of concept, is the engineers' final check for design flaws and allows last-minute improvements to be made before larger production runs are ordered. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype#Basic_prototype_categories. http://www.answers.com/topic/prototype Moreover, companies commission prototypes to develop future products in the hope of later salable products and repeated refinement happens in the prototype stages. [Analysis] Here, we have fully working full-scale prototypes of solar cells applied to an automobile, sponsored by automobile, electronic, solar cell, and other tech companies, all of which stand to gain practical application products from this research and testing http://solarcar.engin.umich.edu/quantum-sponsors/. Moreover, the methods of production and the models are repeatedly refined and improved almost completely every year for twenty (20) years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Michigan_Solar_Car_Team [Conclusion] Thus, the cars are  continually refined, commissioned for future salable products, functional prototypes

Commissioned for future products: (Too many links found for me to include them all, these are just the first ones.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the safety issue, check out how she handles and the riding compartment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuc46dwx9Dw&playnext=1&list=PL3460CED23D19C91D
Start specifically at 1:40
"It has no power steering, so going around turns is really hard"
"Curled up inside like hedgehogs."

I really don't get why people think I'm knocking them.... I think it's cool and hope it gets more development....

Apparently the President can control gas prices?
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/news/economy/bachmann_gas_prices/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2
[head desk]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:04:40 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: August 18, 2011, 08:21:38 pm »

Go to hell swiftly sir.... Do I support criminalizing you?

"But next to Santorum, Perry might be the least lgbt-friendly candidate in the race. More so than former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, who warns we face an existential threat from "gay and secular fascism"; more so, even, than Rep. Michele Bachmann, who once feared that the Lion King would corrupt children because its soundtrack was created by Elton John."

So we're in enough wars I've lost count (Iraq, Iran, Libya?, where else), bleeding money and jobs, and who knows what else. I think terrorists may still be trying to kill us, but clearly "teh geys" are the threat?

Did we redecorate too much? Is that it? We did, didn't we? Seriously, we can change everything back the way it was before we painted if you're that upset Mr. Presidential Candidate.

Focus on the real problems:
Al qaeda and Britany Spears keep releasing videos! Thankfully not together but both need to stop.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:43:54 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:17 pm »

So we're in enough wars I've lost count (Iraq, Iran, Libya?, where else)

Oh come on, the United States isn't in a war with Libya. That would be like saying that in 1941, prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor, the U.S. was at war with Germany. (In March of 1941 onward, the U.S. was giving the United Kingdom supplies but had not formally declared war)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:16:13 pm by The Mechanical Man »
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: August 18, 2011, 09:15:45 pm »

Oh come on, the United States isn't in a war with Libya. That would be like saying that in 1941, prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor, the U.S. was at war with Germany.

Kinda, I know, hence the question mark. :) We aren't at war but what exactly are we at with them? I know it is nowhere near as bad as Vietnam, but we were "technically" never at war with them either. Meh. Pointing out confusion over the number of wars, draws attention to it. And honest, what are we doing in Libya anyhow? And now we're calling for Syria's head of state to step down.... We can't police the world. Heck we can't police our own country.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:24:54 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3923 on: August 18, 2011, 09:19:37 pm »

There are no ongoing US missions in Lybia. NATO is barely still flying over there.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: August 18, 2011, 09:20:35 pm »

Oh come on, the United States isn't in a war with Libya. That would be like saying that in 1941, prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor, the U.S. was at war with Germany.

Kinda, I know, hence the question mark. :) We aren't at war but what exactly are we at with them?

Well, first, there is a rebellion going on in Libya. The U.S. sympathizes with the rebels, and along with many UN nations they have put in economic sanctions against Libya. The UN also imposed a no-fly zone over the area. Basically, no one is formally at war, no boots are on the ground, but people are trying to help the rebels.
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: August 18, 2011, 09:27:16 pm »

Kinda, I know, hence the question mark. :) We aren't at war but what exactly are we at with them?

Well, first, there is a rebellion going on in Libya. The U.S. sympathizes with the rebels, and along with many UN nations they have put in economic sanctions against Libya. The UN also imposed a no-fly zone over the area. Basically, no one is formally at war, no boots are on the ground, but people are trying to help the rebels.

Exactly, and that doesn't bode well for us in my opinion.

Please don't quote me.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: August 18, 2011, 09:36:18 pm »

Well, support and funding for any action over there has really gone down in the U.S., though I don't know about the UN.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: August 18, 2011, 10:41:15 pm »

There are no ongoing US missions in Lybia. NATO is barely still flying over there.

If by that you're saying that we bomb them daily, then yes. Else no.

(That's rather a good thing btw)

Support for action in Libya is still strong in Europe, despite our growing defiance toward our governments.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: August 19, 2011, 02:36:50 am »

I really don't get why people think I'm knocking them.... I think it's cool and hope it gets more development....
It was the "No... Just no"-part that confused me the most...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 852