Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854357 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3885 on: August 18, 2011, 12:08:45 pm »

It's a sad sign of the underlying racist attitudes in US that they don't want to believe that a black man is actually American...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: August 18, 2011, 12:11:17 pm »

Nit pick... He didn't release his long form certificate.  He released a reprint (short form) stating that the (long form) record was on file.

I was born in Hawaii and I have a reprint (short form) that looks like the one he gave out minus that odd roll up on the left edge... it still confuses me what that is.  If he has the original certificate (long form) I believe it was a black/very dark document with white lettering when he was born.  It was still the case when I was.  I know mine is at my parent's house, but I do not know where it is exactly.  We got a reprint issued that I could use when I got out of High School for those things that require it.  The original copy is far too fragile by now to be used in every day life.

If the reprint is considered a "long form" I'd hate to see what a "short form" looks like. ;)

Obama releases original long-form birth certificate
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-04-27/politics/obama.birth.certificate_1_birther-movement-president-barack-obama-birth-certificate?_s=PM:POLITICS

Source
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/04/27/president-obamas-long-form-birth-certificate

FYI this is a short form:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/rss_viewer/birth-certificate.pdf

This is a long form: (Notice how it is released).
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/rss_viewer/birth-certificate-long-form.pdf

"Photocopy" doesn't enter into it and doesn't matter one bit. The short form... is short. The long form... is longer.... As long as it is an officially certified copy by the government, that is enough. No one has their original, only copies, unless they are somehow inside the department of health building itself and they are not going to leave that building with the original. The one at your parent's house, is NOT the original, it is a copy, a very old copy. That's all.

He shouldn't have even had to show his short form birth certificate.  Certainly no other US president has ever been obliged to.

Exactly and it is unbelievable that people still demand the "original" you never, ever, for any purpose whatsoever have to show your original on file at the department of health. They will not give you this document and will keep it on file no matter what. Basically, people just want to believe he wasn't born in this country so they can throw some excuse, any excuse to try and challenge a political figure they don't agree with. They don't care about or even know what standards apply. They don't know the difference between long and short form and they don't care to learn. "He is not us; he is other. 'We' are American; he is not like us; thus he is not "American." [Headdesk] :(

Actually John McCain was not born in the United States. Rather, he was actually born in Panama, on a military base. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain "McCain, having been born in the (Panama) Canal Zone, if elected would have become the first president who was born outside the current 50 states."

Thus, Obama has more claim to being born in the US (he actually was), than McCain does (he wasn't but gets by on a technicality).

No one questions McCain though.... There isn't a national uproar from democrats looking into the legitimacy of McCain even though he actually, as an admitted and undisputed matter of fact, was NOT born in the US. There is no massive conspiracy theory crap about how and if he fits into the technicality.... Curious, given that he's old and white.... Good ole' fashion racist double standards. :) We're going to put the screws to the black dude who was born in the US, but the white guy we know for a fact wasn't born in the US... I'm sure he's on the level.... Give the white guy a pass!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:57:21 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: August 18, 2011, 12:22:47 pm »

Besides...

heck, Obama won the election. Sore losers wish to undo the work of democracy with tricks like this...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:27 pm »

Isn't the "has to be US-soil born" law somewhat ridiculous as well, though?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: August 18, 2011, 12:27:07 pm »

"The collapse of the Roman Empire and the arrival of the Barbarians was due to the spread of homosexuality," the Daily Mail quoted the vice-president of Italy's prestigious Centre for National Research as saying in a radio interview.
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-04-10/uk/29403019_1_rome-gay-rights-groups-barbarians

Did you know that the Roman Empire's downfall was due to homosexuality?
People are so ridiculous sometimes :/
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: August 18, 2011, 12:28:00 pm »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: August 18, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »

Isn't the "has to be US-soil born" law somewhat ridiculous as well, though?

Yes, if you ask me. Natural born US citizen makes a bit more sense.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: August 18, 2011, 12:45:11 pm »

Yea, otherwise there could be a chance you could end up with the pesidentinator...

ILL BE BACK, for a second term...

HASTA LA VISTA healthcare reform...
This is a blank sig.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3893 on: August 18, 2011, 12:57:24 pm »

The governator is actually quite liberal, at least compared to the republicans, and even some democrats. I don't think he would kill healthcare reform, he might even support the public single payer option.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: August 18, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »

I like the fact that Arnold. S. endorsed CIRM.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: August 18, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/university-of-michigan-students-put-solar-vehicle-on-display-in-university-circle This is supposed to be a car.... You know what, no, just no. For right now, we need to admit that if this is the best we can do with an all solar powered car, we need to pursue branch applications as well. Continue research but go for other practical solar applications.

I really don't think this is fair. This was a student project, and a damned impressive one. They built a freaking solar powered car. You do understand how technology works, right? That a particular project doesn't need to be practical, or intended to be produced, to be valuable? That the experience they got there is likely to aid them as they go on in the industry to do some other remarkable stuff, and that the technology they developed for it could well have other applications?

And mostly, that they built a really awesome thing?

And hell, I'd drive the thing with no issues. Its an engineering beauty, and I really don't understand why you're putting it down.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: August 18, 2011, 02:18:31 pm »

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/university-of-michigan-students-put-solar-vehicle-on-display-in-university-circle This is supposed to be a car.... You know what, no, just no. For right now, we need to admit that if this is the best we can do with an all solar powered car, we need to pursue branch applications as well. Continue research but go for other practical solar applications.

I really don't think this is fair. This was a student project, and a damned impressive one. They built a freaking solar powered car. You do understand how technology works, right? That a particular project doesn't need to be practical, or intended to be produced, to be valuable? That the experience they got there is likely to aid them as they go on in the industry to do some other remarkable stuff, and that the technology they developed for it could well have other applications?

And mostly, that they built a really awesome thing?

And hell, I'd drive the thing with no issues. Its an engineering beauty, and I really don't understand why you're putting it down.

O I understand that it is a prototype and in fact like it in that regard. I'm not really knocking it as a project and I truly hope they get a scholarship or something from that. However, it currently doesn't fit the bill for an automobile on the road today. Cool as it is (and I have seen it up close as it is in Cleveland) it would be totally obliterated in any traffic accident, cannot handle snow, and only seats one.... I'm actually saying they need more support and to go further both in terms of applied science and prototype research.

As a prototype that thing is great. The model T was crap by today's standards, but it helped the creation of all the other cars that came after it. Perhaps this is that and for that reason we need to build more prototypes, better ones, and fund the crap out of this research.

As a practical application, it simply isn't there yet. In addition to funding this as a prototype, we need practical applications that we can use now. For example, putting solar cells into the body of cars, or at least the roof. In standard cars, you have a built in battery charger, in hybrids or electric cars you've got a renewable power source supplementing plug in tech and extending range (at least in sunshine).

It isn't that it isn't good enough, it's that we aren't doing enough to let it reach its full potential.  :)
For right now, we need to admit that if this is the best we can do with an all solar powered car, we need to pursue branch applications as well. Continue research but go for other practical solar applications.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:21:35 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3897 on: August 18, 2011, 02:24:12 pm »

Think of it more as a solar motorcycle, and it would fare about as well in a high speed collision as one. There just isn't enough solar wattage in the ~5 to 10 square meters of area you can get out of a car to propel a vehicle with a weight of all the required car safety equipment.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: August 18, 2011, 02:33:40 pm »

It's not a prototype, its a finished product.

I... don't think you really understand what it is.

It was built for a race. It won the race. Calling this a prototype is like calling the the first lunar lander to arrive on the moon a prototype. (in other words, it is just wrong) This is a fully functional finished product, and I really don't understand what you're trying to say here.

However, it currently doesn't fit the bill for an automobile on the road today.
Since they were setting out to build a race vehicle, not a roadcar, I don't see why this would be surprising.

But I still don't understand what you're point is here, to be honest, and if its simply "we can do more research", well... uh, ok. I don't see how that relates to you playing down what these people accomplished? I don't understand how
This is supposed to be a car.... You know what, no, just no.
is a valid response to their achievement. First, its not even trying to be a car. Second, it's likely not the best we can do, just the best thats been bothered because its not a particularly lucrative field since the vast bulk of the populace (like yourself) are unwilling to accept the trade-offs it would entail. Finally... why no? Seriously?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:39:45 pm by GlyphGryph »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: August 18, 2011, 02:37:25 pm »

Given the price of gas, I would be ready to buy a single place solar powered automobile to go to work (aka this thing) provided it's cheap enough to make a net gain. Just saying.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 852