Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854492 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3870 on: August 18, 2011, 05:30:32 am »

I read a sotry about a Finnish man who had converted to Islam (post-9/11) and who was en route to America on a plane to see his relatives... he was arrested at the airport, interrogated, and eventually he was turned back to Finland with a hostile farewell: "I don't want to see you in America ever again" despite nothing incriminating being found.

It could've been exaggerated though, but that's just... crazy.

There was an Australian video blogger (not a Muslim or anything) arrested on a trip to the USA, they were like "Why do you have a video camera? Why are you filming your trip?". They interrogated him and he explained being a vlogger etc, and filming his journey for his vlog on youtube, they didn't "get it" so he's now on a watch list, never made it out of the airport in the USA (they brought in homeland security to interrogate him and everything) and he's banned from travelling to the USA ever again.

So the paranoia might not just be Muslims. It's everyone.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3871 on: August 18, 2011, 05:32:56 am »

Another one, similar although a bit more serious. Remember those attacks in Norway a month ago? Guess who was behind the bomb and shootings until Breivik's identitiy was confirmed? Yep, Muslims were to blame, at least on all online forums that I saw discussing it. When the first stories about Breivik's identity were published, people wouldn't believe it, thinking it was a mistake. I don't understand why, myself - after all, Muslims don't have anything close to monopoly status when it comes to spree shooting...

A muslim group actually did try to claim responsibility for the bomb in Oslo I heard, and Scandinavia has recieved a LOT of threats from muslim extremists, everyone were shocked that it was a lonely native psycho, because theres no history of such.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: August 18, 2011, 05:38:24 am »

So there you have it.  I'm not joking, I'm not kidding, and I don't like to demonize.  It's up to you to decide what you believe, but I'm not recounting this story out of hate.
interesting, I'm no psychologist and it may be the insomnia talking, but I'd say that your ex classifies as someone with narssacistic personality disorder, especially the bit about questioning your mental health to your face like that. That's a classic NPD behavior.

...wait, does that mean I have npd too? Fuck, that's a scary thought.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: August 18, 2011, 05:40:50 am »

Another one, similar although a bit more serious. Remember those attacks in Norway a month ago? Guess who was behind the bomb and shootings until Breivik's identitiy was confirmed? Yep, Muslims were to blame, at least on all online forums that I saw discussing it. When the first stories about Breivik's identity were published, people wouldn't believe it, thinking it was a mistake. I don't understand why, myself - after all, Muslims don't have anything close to monopoly status when it comes to spree shooting...

A muslim group actually did try to claim responsibility for the bomb in Oslo I heard, and Scandinavia has recieved a LOT of threats from muslim extremists, everyone were shocked that it was a lonely native psycho, because theres no history of such.

It's not that. The "Muslim Terrorist attacked Oslo" discussion was going wild already before the terrorist group claimed the strike, and there is more history of native strikes in Nordic countries than Muslim strikes. Falun Killings, Jokela shootings, Kauhajoki shootings... and in Norway itself, as far as I know, the situation was 0-0 before Breivik - no terrorist strikes by natives or Muslims. So no, I still don't think there was a serious reason to have a strong preassumption that the bomber and shooter was a Muslim.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3874 on: August 18, 2011, 05:44:32 am »

It's not that. The "Muslim Terrorist attacked Oslo" discussion was going wild already before the terrorist group claimed the strike, and there is more history of native strikes in Nordic countries than Muslim strikes. Falun Killings, Jokela shootings, Kauhajoki shootings... and in Norway itself, as far as I know, the situation was 0-0 before Breivik - no terrorist strikes by natives or Muslims. So no, I still don't think there was a serious reason to have a strong preassumption that the bomber and shooter was a Muslim.

Yeah but the difference was that there haven't been radical right movements threatening with Terror, unlike Muslims who are still raging about the Mohammed Cartoons published widely in all of Scandinavia.

If a guy threatens to kill someone, and you hear that person is dead, it's not unnatural to suspect the guy who threatened him.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: August 18, 2011, 06:01:29 am »

I didn't say it was natural to suspect an ideological terrorist at all. Statistically, a fucked up individual would've been more probable.

And besides, the belief in Muslim culprit was unreasonably *strong* - as I said, it took people a while to believe he was actually not one, despite having no evidence for this belief.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: August 18, 2011, 06:02:02 am »

*shrug*

He'd already said that he was looking forward to finding ways to emotionally destroy my extended family, with a big smile on his face, and occasionally we'd go by people playing loud music and he'd say "See, those are people my Fallout character would have taken care of with a rocket launcher" or similar.

Oh, and that I was evil, dirty-hearted, that my parents didn't love me, that I wouldn't be accepted by another dude, and that I was generally out to bewitch and get him.

So frankly, I dunno.  What would you have said?  Other than "Fuck off and never talk to me again?"

Tempted to say:
"I know how to  repeatedly hit you with that great big phone book so it hurts but doesn't leave bruises."
[Kidding :P. Hell, I'd just have left. This was from an assault case and doesn't actually work.]

But yeah, he sounds like a jackass you are better off without.

What would you have said?  Other than "Fuck off and never talk to me again?"
I'd of used more swears.
Yes. If I actually really liked him; I would've probably cried. Then of course I'd get accused of being the manipulative one. [sigh]

I have never quite understood how people are so insane that they can aim for "loving relationships" and wind up abusive as crap. Their aim really is that bad, particularly the abuser's. It's more or less facing the bullseye but somehow shooting yourself in the ass and blaming the spectators.

People in general and their BS attention games have always been weird to me.

Ok that's pretty damn ridiculous.

Something something sacrificing freedom something something security something something deserves neither.
From a party that claims to follow the founder's intent, they do ignore Ben Franklin's.

Anyone know what a "free speech zone" is? Yeah.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone

http://news.yahoo.com/christine-odonnell-walks-piers-morgan-tonight-interview-011635684.html
Speaking of manipulative.... What do you mean you're going to ask questions I don't want you to and haven't prearranged? Don't you know I should be running this interview and you need to do exactly what I say? Never mind that we're here to talk about my book and I wrote against gay marriage in the book. I don't want to talk about it here, because its coming back to bite me....

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/university-of-michigan-students-put-solar-vehicle-on-display-in-university-circle This is supposed to be a car.... You know what, no, just no. For right now, we need to admit that if this is the best we can do with an all solar powered car, we need to pursue branch applications as well. Continue research but go for other practical solar applications.

Namely, find a way to work those solar cells into the bodies of automobiles to extend electric power generation. Doubly so for hybrids and electric vehicles.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Report-Government-probe-of-apf-269452809.html?x=0
Attempted payback?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cigarette-lawsuit-could-delay-apf-1323437383.html?x=0
Because only individuals, not corporations, file "frivolous lawsuits," and that means we should limit their rights, particularly accident victims (tort reform). Those poor little companies need free speech personhood rights and more protection with less taxes.... [sigh][repeated headdesk].
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:34:16 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: August 18, 2011, 08:19:07 am »

*comes online for first time in a while*

WTF?

There are people who are actually like that? Bloody hell.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: August 18, 2011, 08:36:48 am »

O'Donnell probably usually sticks to the Palin tactic (only ever take interviews from Fox News or someone equally sympathetic) and was thus surprised to have a not completely sympathetic interviewer.  But... damn, I mean Morgan isn't even that tough an interviewer, and he was just using the basic tactic of making sure the interviewee answers your question.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: August 18, 2011, 09:44:34 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/air-force-discharging-sergeant-doubts-obama-214651994.html

Devi's Advocate/ Mini 12(b)(6) failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted:

Even if you're right about Obama not being born in the U.S. and gays not being properly allowed in the military, this does not excuse your obligation to serve your country which you voluntarily undertook years ago (as you are 41 years old). :(

"Moran's father, Howard Moran, said he's proud of his son for taking a stand, and the information his son found online also convinced him that Obama isn't qualified to be president.

'Even if you don't agree with him, you have to give him some credit. I believe he's doing what he thinks is right,' said Howard Moran, who also served in the Air Force."

[headdesk] He showed the longform birth certificate. What more do you want?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:11:35 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3880 on: August 18, 2011, 10:07:30 am »

I have a story that's relevant to the thread's purpose.
Another child beaten to death because of the book To Train Up A Child. Here is the Wikipedia article.

They beat her for seven hours until she started vomiting and choking. She died in the hospital, of a condition usually afflicting earthquake victims. They did this because of the teachings of To Train Up A Child, which claims that it is the will of God to beat your children into submission to you. Her parents did this to her because she mispronounced a word. Their other eight children are alive, but they still suffered the same kind of abuse. Lydia Schatz was seven years old when she was murdered by her adoptive parents.

Her father received 22 years in prison, her mother, 12.

I get asked a lot, off the internet and on it, why I have a problem with religion and Christianity. This is why.

Tell me, if you can, why it's alright to physically assault children, but not adults? Because they're smaller than you? Because you have legal control over them? Because they're "too difficult to teach"? I used to be on the fence about this issue, but I know what I support now. Corporal punishment should be a crime.

This is what I had mentioned on CNN a few days ago.

It also strikes very close to home for me, that is how I grew up.

I still need to point out there is a massively huge difference between spanking a child occasionally and abusing them.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: August 18, 2011, 10:28:03 am »

I don't think life sentence or the death sentence is enough for a couple who would read a book and then torture eight children and murder another. I think this people deserve to be ejected from reality itself.

Spoiler: spoiled for depressing (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:29:56 am by freeformschooler »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:55 am »

[headdesk] He showed the longform birth certificate. What more do you want?

He never needed to show the long-form birth certificate. Even prior to that, there was the normal birth certificate (you know, the one they issue anyone else in that state), contemporaneous newspaper announcements regarding his birth, and the fact that the entire bureaucracy in charge of making sure US presidents are qualified to begin with.

At the time at which Obama released the long-form version, most of the people who still needed convincing were those detached from reality enough that nothing would help. They're conspiracy theorists, it's how they work.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: August 18, 2011, 11:24:03 am »

Nit pick... He didn't release his long form certificate.  He released a reprint (short form) stating that the (long form) record was on file.

I was born in Hawaii and I have a reprint (short form) that looks like the one he gave out minus that odd roll up on the left edge... it still confuses me what that is.  If he has the original certificate (long form) I believe it was a black/very dark document with white lettering when he was born.  It was still the case when I was.  I know mine is at my parent's house, but I do not know where it is exactly.  We got a reprint issued that I could use when I got out of High School for those things that require it.  The original copy is far too fragile by now to be used in every day life.

If the reprint is considered a "long form" I'd hate to see what a "short form" looks like. ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:31:24 am by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: August 18, 2011, 11:55:28 am »

He shouldn't have even had to show his short form birth certificate.  Certainly no other US president has ever been obliged to.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 852