Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854558 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3855 on: August 18, 2011, 04:18:34 am »

There really really are assholes that are assholes because they are assholes. I mean, of course there are REASONS for it - it doesn't stop them from being assholes. At the very least they need to grow up, at the worst they enjoy being assholes and have no intention of ever changing.

Some people just REALLY like being mean and exerting power.

And REASONS don't make you an asshole, methods do. No matter what you use to justify it, there are people, plenty of them, who are STILL assholes.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:00 am »

If it was his own private space or something, and it was actually necessary to physically force the other person out, I can kind of understand that... but again, that's an incredibly rare situation and not the sort that was relevant to discussion.

I had an ex refuse to leave my house, she jammed herself in my front door (she had broken up with me / kicked me out, then kept coming to my new house, screaming, crying etc, refusing to leave when asked, while hurling abuse at me). I wouldn't let her in that time, asked her to leave, while she's shrieking and trying to force her way into the house while and hurling abuse at me.

So this is not so unusual. Basically if you make the mistake of letting someone into your house who fits the "stalker" description.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:08 am »

No but then what does the fact that the relationship was sexual have to do with anything?
As sexual activity and intimacy with a partner would increase the already memory-crippling haze of hormonal biochemicals to an even higher level. Thus, it contributes to your account's accuracy being suspect.

Not your fault or causation, of course, just psychology.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:38 am »

Some people just REALLY like being mean and exerting power.

This was essentially what he told me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: August 18, 2011, 04:22:03 am »

If it was his own private space or something, and it was actually necessary to physically force the other person out, I can kind of understand that... but again, that's an incredibly rare situation and not the sort that was relevant to discussion.

I had an ex refuse to leave my house, she jammed herself in my front door (she had broken up with me / kicked me out, then kept coming to my new house, screaming, crying etc, refusing to leave when asked, while hurling abuse at me). I wouldn't let her in that time, asked her to leave, while she's shrieking and trying to force her way into the house while and hurling abuse at me.

So this is not so unusual. Basically if you make the mistake of letting someone into your house who fits the "stalker" description.
That's when you call the police.

Honestly I can't think of any situation, barring being threatened physically, where you should actually try to throw them out yourself. Getting physical risks violence.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3860 on: August 18, 2011, 04:26:28 am »

Vector you totally misunderstand, it was more to say that he might have experience something else and that he probably was like he was for some absurd reason, not that it justifies any of it.

Same with you Glyphgryph, yes some people are assholes, but people are formed by their experiences, no one is born assholes.

No but then what does the fact that the relationship was sexual have to do with anything?
As sexual activity and intimacy with a partner would increase the already memory-crippling haze of hormonal biochemicals to an even higher level. Thus, it contributes to your account's accuracy being suspect.

You might be right, but I don't think you are, neither you nor G-Flex, but there's not reason discussing it because you can say my mind is hazed and I can say it isn't but anything more than that won't come from this, feel free to disregard my example, but I can say that same counts for most relationships were abuse has happened, I just used my own experience.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: August 18, 2011, 04:32:01 am »

Getting physical risks violence.
Yeah, well, a little violence never killed anyo-... oh wait.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: August 18, 2011, 04:33:32 am »

You might be right, but I don't think you are, neither you nor G-Flex, but there's not reason discussing it because you can say my mind is hazed and I can say it isn't but anything more than that won't come from this, feel free to disregard my example, but I can say that same counts for most relationships were abuse has happened, I just used my own experience.
I'm not disregarding your example, I'm just stating that the answer to your question of which of you in your relationship was at fault is very difficult (if not impossible) to answer, due to what we know of the psychological profile of people at that age. One of you might have been at clear fault. Neither of you may have had much fault, and you two just didn't remain compatible. Given the circumstances, my guess of an answer is just going off of what is most likely from what we do know about the for sure, and that's that very few relationships started at an age that young remain (or are ever) stable on either front.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:39:14 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: August 18, 2011, 04:38:31 am »

Shall we move this to Life Advice? :)

Taking bad pictures gets you arrested in Long Beach.

(or: my attempt at a rerail)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: August 18, 2011, 04:43:17 am »

Ok that's pretty damn ridiculous.

Something something sacrificing freedom something something security something something deserves neither.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: August 18, 2011, 04:51:15 am »

And loses both.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: August 18, 2011, 05:08:56 am »

On "The Chaser" political comedy show in Australia, they took photos at a tourist location, first dressed as an American tourist (no police reaction), and then the same guy came back and took the same photos dressed as an Arab Sheik. They detained him within minutes that time. There were no visible cops etc, but there was CCTV, it was the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or something.

The moral of the story: Terrorists should dress up in American Flag Regalia (US flag t-shirts, caps etc) when planning attacks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:15:29 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: August 18, 2011, 05:16:46 am »

I read a sotry about a Finnish man who had converted to Islam (post-9/11) and who was en route to America on a plane to see his relatives... he was arrested at the airport, interrogated, and eventually he was turned back to Finland with a hostile farewell: "I don't want to see you in America ever again" despite nothing incriminating being found.

It could've been exaggerated though, but that's just... crazy.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: August 18, 2011, 05:18:36 am »

On "The Chaser" political comedy show in Australia, they took photos at a tourist location, first dressed as an American tourist (no police reaction), and then the same guy came back and took the same photos dressed as an Arab Sheik. They detained him within minutes that time. There were no visible cops etc, but there was CCTV, it was the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or something.
Stuff like this is both hilarious and depressing at the same time. Mostly depressing.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: August 18, 2011, 05:28:29 am »

Another one, similar although a bit more serious. Remember those attacks in Norway a month ago? Guess who was behind the bomb and shootings until Breivik's identitiy was confirmed? Yep, Muslims were to blame, at least on all online forums that I saw discussing it. When the first stories about Breivik's identity were published, people wouldn't believe it, thinking it was a mistake. I don't understand why, myself - after all, Muslims don't have anything close to monopoly status when it comes to spree shooting...
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 852