Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854117 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:11:59 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3781 on: August 17, 2011, 11:03:27 am »

It's heartwarming to see Christian reducing the hatred toward Muslims by showing that the two religions aren't all that different.

Works in a more peaceful way as well... Nigeria has Chrislam, a synthesis of the two religions. The beginner of the movement stated that he had a holy vision encouraging him to make peace between the two religious groups.

On the other hand, the other Chrislam movement, also in Nigeria, is going to "conquer the world" - not sure whether that means actual world conquest or just active missionaries...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:29 pm »

Yes of course, I just don't consider Islam especially bloodthirsty, as far as religion goes.
There has been a wide movement that, because of the Salafi's recent terrorist activities portrayed Islam as especially warmongering and socially intrusive. Which usually made me wonder if they were part goldfish  given all the crap the catholic church made us those last fifty years.

Given that we currently experience a wave of Christian terrorism, and I expect it to worsen, I suppose those sentiment will recede.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: August 17, 2011, 12:50:13 pm »

You know what? I've stopped caring about how much gender affects behavior. Even if I'm completely wrong and cultural influence doesn't exist in this case, it still doesn't matter to me what the trends are. [...]

Because frankly there's no justifiable, moral reason to use this knowledge outside of stuff like advertising.
There's reason for advertisement and search engine scripts to use these statistics, but not you or I. If you pull them out to justify, rationalize, or pre-judge behavior, allow me to call you a jackass and a bigot.
So... men are from mars and women from venus or whatever it's called is bigoted BS? Because that book (corny as it is and I read only the pieces my SO made me read) sure clarified a few things for me (and for her as well, making her go "Men really think that way??" "Well, yeah, duh. Don't you?").

The statistics can explain existing behaviour, and increase understanding between the sexes.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: August 17, 2011, 02:33:12 pm »

What that book told me--the one I read about dating--was that if I wanted a man, I had to be submissive and passive.

And no matter who I was otherwise, the fact that I was a woman necessitated that.

And furthermore, if I didn't actively feel that I needed a man, not wanted one, or might be able to go without one, I would never get one.

It's a philosophy that breeds a pattern of dominance and dependence.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: August 17, 2011, 02:35:08 pm »

What that book told me--the one I read about dating--was that if I wanted a man, I had to be submissive and passive.

And no matter who I was otherwise, the fact that I was a woman necessitated that.

And furthermore, if I didn't actively feel that I needed a man, not wanted one, or might be able to go without one, I would never get one.

It's a philosophy that breeds a pattern of dominance and dependence.

Was it the book they're talking about in this xkcd?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My brother has The Game, but I never bothered with that stuff...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: August 17, 2011, 02:37:45 pm »

No, it was Mars and Venus on a Date.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: August 17, 2011, 02:40:39 pm »

Sounds like a load of crap to me...

Why did you read that anyway?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:42:23 pm by Mindmaker »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: August 17, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »

Huh. A quick Wikipedia search reveals that The Rules is also about being passive and, in a way, submissive. So it's comparable, at least.

Sounds like a load of crap to me...

Possibly depends on one's goals. I wouldn't be surprised if that actually worked for starting a relationship - the longevity and satisfaction of the relationship, on the other hand, might suffer. Approaching such texts with caution is wise and smart.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: August 17, 2011, 02:44:51 pm »

My mom told me it'd be helpful after getting my ass dumped in the snow, and I wasn't much of a feminist yet.

That, and (TOP SECRET): I'll read pretty much anything anyone puts in front of me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: August 17, 2011, 02:50:51 pm »

I must be very odd: to me there is nothing appealing about a passive or submissive woman as a life partner. Mine is quite the opposite.
This is a blank sig.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: August 17, 2011, 03:00:27 pm »

Somehow reminds me of a pre-teen memory not (directly) related to relationships...

- You should get a hobby.
- I have plenty of hobbies: reading, computers, playing the piano...
- ...uh, I mean exercising...
- I walk and cycle a lot. (and I was actually quite fit because of this)
- Uh, I mean...

What he meant was that I should get into some competitive sport where a small ball/puck is enough to provoke vast aggression and intense emotions... luckily, my parents always undestood that such wasn't my thing. Other kids at school were different, though - most boys played football, floorball or ice hockey. I did get along well with the judo guys though...

I must be very odd: to me there is nothing appealing about a passive or submissive woman as a life partner. Mine is quite the opposite.

Same here, and a true conversation related to it. This happened with other people around, so "silence" basically means I was carrying out the conversation I had with someone else until She (a fairly passive girl who seemed to have a badly concealed crush on me) came in.

She: Hi.
Me: Hi.
<a few minutes of silence>
She: Why aren't you talking to me?

So... why aren't you talking to me?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:02:11 pm by Kay12 »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: August 17, 2011, 03:01:57 pm »

Possibly depends on one's goals. I wouldn't be surprised if that actually worked for starting a relationship - the longevity and satisfaction of the relationship, on the other hand, might suffer.
Not to mention that you probably won't attract the person you are looking for.

While I do hold social sciences in high regard (I'll be studying them, duh), I would discard any book regarding relationships without a second thought.
This isn't an issue where you'll be able to find a 'grand unified theory'.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: August 17, 2011, 03:03:50 pm »

I would discard any book regarding relationships without a second thought.

Tsk, that's a strong statement... a bit too strong for my opinion.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: August 17, 2011, 03:31:14 pm »

Find me a good one and I'll take it back.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 852