Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854583 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3630 on: August 15, 2011, 03:48:35 pm »

If breaking this is really your goal, what you should be aiming for is making it law then men need to take at least 6 months off work to care for your children. THEN watch the situation change.

But no, you'd never see anyone pushing for a law like that because it is reasonable, effective (it would actually accomplish the stated goals, and fairly quickly), and justifiable (parents SHOULD have to spend time taking care of their children if they decide to have children).
You have no idea how ecstatic I'd be if something like that were put into effect.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: August 15, 2011, 03:48:44 pm »

I was assuming that someone who applies for a job is at least somewhat qualified
I see you have not spent much time trying to hire people. Especially in, say, computer science, where the majority of applicants for any given position will have no ability to program.

Wait, what, really? Are you telling me I should've been applying for all these computer science jobs I keep seeing because my one semester of Java-for-non-CompSci-majors actually makes me more qualified than the majority of applicants? *head asplode*
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3632 on: August 15, 2011, 03:54:54 pm »

How is hiring the most qualified applicant for a job oppressing women?

Well, for example, a woman with the same credentials can be disqualified for reasons of menstruation, or potential baby-making in the future (no matter what she says now).

That isn't strictly a case of hiring the most qualified applicant.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: August 15, 2011, 03:56:10 pm »

To some people, it honestly is.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: August 15, 2011, 03:59:15 pm »

How is hiring the most qualified applicant for a job oppressing women?

Well, for example, a woman with the same credentials can be disqualified for reasons of menstruation, or potential baby-making in the future (no matter what she says now).

That isn't strictly a case of hiring the most qualified applicant.
Even to an unbiased source, expected expenses as well as social factors are to be weighed in with the scholarly qualifications and work experience of a person. People who are expected to be ill more often have a lower chance of being hired and some people think women are more prone to being sick.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: August 15, 2011, 06:08:25 pm »

Virex, your arguments before in this thread lead me to think you have a really overblown idea of sexist attitudes in society. I've never met anyone who thinks women are more prone to getting sick than men.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: August 15, 2011, 06:13:30 pm »

Yeah, Glyph has the idea. I'd go even further and mandate a 50-50 split (or around it, at least, like 40% minimum for both) in parental (is there no gender-neutral alike-word for maternity/paternity? parenternity?) leave. Makes everyone just as likely to go away because of sudden child syndrome. Forcing people to hire X% women because you don't want them to be discriminated because of childing is a rather roundabout and inefficient way to go.

Virex, your arguments before in this thread lead me to think you have a really overblown idea of sexist attitudes in society. I've never met anyone who thinks women are more prone to getting sick than men.
I have. Many, though it's seldom said outright. More prone to migraine and being generally more frail as well.
Love, scriver~

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: August 15, 2011, 07:26:22 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-criticizes-gop-presidential-rivals-taxes-185423400.html

"Obama recalled a moment in last week's GOP presidential debate when all eight of the candidates said they would refuse to support a deal with tax increases, even if tax revenues were outweighed 10-to-1 by spending cuts."

So, even an overwhelming victory for your side isn't enough unless we all completely bow down to your ideology...? $10 spending cuts to every $1 in taxes isn't even acceptable? ???

They love the country, and support the troops but refuse to pay for either....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:29:49 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: August 15, 2011, 07:30:48 pm »

Most sexism is hardly overt, and is more about expectations, both subconscious and conscious.

Here's a really stupid, inconsequential example: When I was living with my dad and his girlfriend, and I was in a room with his girlfriend, and she saw a bug somewhere, she would ask me to get it. Personally, I hate squashing bugs, but I'm male, so I'm expected to care less about doing it than her, so asking me is just a given. Yeah, like I said, an inconsequential example, but it illustrates the point that what people expect out of different genders (or other groups) isn't always particularly conscious or obvious.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: August 15, 2011, 07:33:56 pm »

Total bullshit.

Oh, and by the way... all 8 GOP candidates?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3640 on: August 15, 2011, 07:39:50 pm »

CNN right now, content is relevant to a previous argument.

Long story short: fundamentalist Christians really do advocate child abuse and it is finally getting some media attention.

Note the book "To train up a child" and themurder of a young adopted girl and torter of her other adopted siblings.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:52:20 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: August 15, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »

Fat and medical care.

Maybe we're finally making some progress.  Linked to blog rather than article for edifying context.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: August 15, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »

Isn't there an extremely strong link between obesity and type 2 diabetes, among other illnesses?

I'll completely accept that doctors will misdiagnose and blame something on obesity when it isn't, but they're just following what they do for any diagnosis: occam's razor. The most obvious problem is probably the cause. Will they be wrong sometimes? Of course. Will they be wrong more often than they should? Maybe, maybe not, and I think that warrants investigation. However, it sure as hell isn't a sign that there's nothing unhealthy or risky about being overweight.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: August 15, 2011, 08:33:49 pm »

I'd read the comments in the thread.

Doctors telling people to lose weight to fix their damaged knee by running?  That is stupid.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: August 15, 2011, 08:45:01 pm »

Such doctors should be smote upon the mountainside, ideally by Gandalfs. Failing that, though, some meaningful punishment, although I'm not sure what that qualifies as in the world of medical professionals.

It is important to prevent conflating reasonable diagnoses that happen to be wrong with blind adherence to a paradigm, but I am unsure if that's what's happening here. At least in the example in the actual post (haven't read comments yet), I feel like a herniated disk should have been more noticeable with a proper physical since she was complaining of it specifically, but then, I'm not sure how tough it is to find those. So I could be wrong, but it sounds like there's a legitimate problem there.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 852