Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854541 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3615 on: August 15, 2011, 03:10:33 pm »

I think they're saying your ideas are impractical, not that there's anything wrong with giving people jobs and trying to even out demographics.

We all want good representation of every demographic, but literally forcing it isn't a practical way to do so. You'll just get people unqualified for the job. Instead, effort should be expended to even out opportunity. If these minorities have more competent individuals, their representation will follow suit.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: August 15, 2011, 03:12:22 pm »

Virex, I don't feel like you have a good sense of repercussions.

Actions have consequences, people respond to incentives.

None of your ideas seem to acknowledge the realities of the situation - we don't live in an ideal fantasy world. If you hire someone who can't do the job based solely on race, your going to get a lot of failed business, lower everyones standard of living, and build up a fuck ton of racial tension (while disincentiving minorities from doing anything productive productive or improving themselves).

Is that really what you're looking for here?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: August 15, 2011, 03:12:56 pm »

what an appendix is
It's a type of finger, right?

Also, what Kaiju(sic) said.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: August 15, 2011, 03:24:24 pm »

That's probably "appendage."

"Blinddarm" auf Deutsch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: August 15, 2011, 03:26:24 pm »

I was kinda joking there... but yeah.

Also, not really, it's "Wurmfortsatz" in German, technically.

[/derail]

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: August 15, 2011, 03:28:24 pm »

Also, what would happen to people like me? I've studied for years to land a job in the development department of a respected medium-sized IT company, and you'd prefer hiring someone who can't program, but does have a vagina? That's discrimination. If you claim to oppose discrimination, you can't condone this without being a hypocrite.
I have never said that I oppose discrimination in general. What I oppose is the oppression of women in particularly and frankly I don't see a way to stop this without beating the attitude out of some people, but since physically beating an idea out of someone is apparently against Human Rights and oppressing women isn't, I'll have to settle for fighting these 'people' on their own level. Now I realize that in most people's eyes this makes me a bigot as well as a hypocrite, but that's something I'm willing to live with.

And to answer your first question, if a company would interview both me and a woman for, say, a research position and chose her over me even though I'm 'objectively' (as if...) the better researcher, then that's something I'll have to suck up for our society.

Virex, I don't feel like you have a good sense of repercussions.

Actions have consequences, people respond to incentives.

None of your ideas seem to acknowledge the realities of the situation - we don't live in an ideal fantasy world. If you hire someone who can't do the job based solely on race, your going to get a lot of failed business, lower everyones standard of living, and build up a fuck ton of racial tension (while disincentive minorities from doing anything productive productive or improving themselves).

Is that really what you're looking for here?
I have to admit that is something I hadn't fully considered yet, I was assuming that someone who applies for a job is at least somewhat qualified. Perhaps a reasonable level of qualification should be required so that for example to become a lawyer one has to at least have finished law school, or whatever would qualify as a reasonable level of education for a lawyer.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:37:47 pm by Virex »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: August 15, 2011, 03:30:21 pm »

Also, not really, it's "Wurmfortsatz" in German, technically.

... Textbook, meet campfire.

That's very annoying.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: August 15, 2011, 03:31:12 pm »

Don't worry, only pedants care about the distinction.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3623 on: August 15, 2011, 03:34:23 pm »

How is hiring the most qualified applicant for a job oppressing women?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: August 15, 2011, 03:36:04 pm »

Well, for example, a woman with the same credentials can be disqualified for reasons of menstruation, or potential baby-making in the future (no matter what she says now).

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: August 15, 2011, 03:37:13 pm »

Well, for example, a woman with the same credentials can be disqualified for reasons of menstruation, or potential baby-making in the future (no matter what she says now).
So men should be disqualified for reasons of being born with a penis?
*Hugs*

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »

So men should be disqualified for reasons of being born with a penis?

Stopping discrimination of women is not oppressing men.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:41 pm »

Don't assume that I agree with Virex.

I'm just saying that the "most qualified applicant for the job" tends to be heavily oriented towards men, and that "most qualified" may mean different things to different people.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: August 15, 2011, 03:39:31 pm »

I didn't say it was, but the current train of discussion is that women should get an instant in by virtue of being women.

NinjaEdit: My apologies then, and I'm not going to disagree with that fact.
*Hugs*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: August 15, 2011, 03:43:45 pm »

I was assuming that someone who applies for a job is at least somewhat qualified
I see you have not spent much time trying to hire people. Especially in, say, computer science, where the majority of applicants for any given position will have no ability to program.

or potential baby-making in the future (no matter what she says now).
Which is why the best way to handle this is to structure the incentives so men are as likely and capable of being an equal "liability" to the company.

The reality of the situation, right now, is that a woman is more likely to be a risk because of of that. Since we can't make that risk go away (and we believe the risk itself is an acceptable one), we should consider the alternatives, and seek to distribute the risk among both genders. (The fact that this would have tons of child-rearing bonuses, break down some of the walls holding men back from domestic duties, and allow women to work more are all side benefits).

If breaking this is really your goal, what you should be aiming for is making it law then men need to take at least 6 months off work to care for your children. THEN watch the situation change.

But no, you'd never see anyone pushing for a law like that because it is doable(simple law change, fairly easy to enforce as laws go), effective (it would actually accomplish the stated goals, and fairly quickly), and justifiable (parents SHOULD have to spend time taking care of their children if they decide to have children).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:47:36 pm by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 852