Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854912 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3555 on: August 14, 2011, 07:11:31 pm »

"We're a conservative community, and we're just trying to make our students more reflective of that," said Larry Wehde, Gonzales Independent School District deputy superintendent.

What is this even supposed to mean??

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: August 14, 2011, 07:15:25 pm »

They want them to dress conservatively. Not to stand out, you know? Standing out is for lib'rls.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: August 14, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »

But it seems to logically follow that prison jumpsuits are "conservative" dress.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: August 14, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »

But it seems to logically follow that prison jumpsuits are "conservative" dress.

...I'm okay with that!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: August 14, 2011, 08:01:05 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:54 pm »

Don't eat ice cream in Belarus.

Bloody hell.
I take it you can't have parties, or if you push the meaning of "organized public assembly", movies?  If you can't assemble, how do you play sports?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: August 14, 2011, 08:15:32 pm »

I'm not exactly sure how it works, frankly.  If you've got a dominant state, it's not like your rules have to be consistent or clear.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: August 14, 2011, 08:19:23 pm »

"We're a conservative community, and we're just trying to make our students more reflective of that," said Larry Wehde, Gonzales Independent School District deputy superintendent.

What is this even supposed to mean??
He's just another power drunk autocrat, like so many other people in low government. They can't get up into the higher echelons without at least hiding their megalomania some, so they stay down in things such as schools, where no one cares about the rights of those affected. He probably doesn't even care about the dress code, he just wants something he can use to flaunt his power around about.

Make no mistake, children's rights in the United States are a fucking joke. Even the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of the idea that minors do not have constitutional protection. More and more school districts are taking up the old corporate line of "You're always an Employee, on duty or off." except with students. In my district, they will suspend you if they can find proof of somthing done off-campus that violates an on-campus rule. It's a goddamn Class C Felony to be on the property of a school you don't go to at any time if you're still attending school, and the same for being at the school you do go to if it isn't school hours. I've seen people at my school impressed into community service or suspended for the heinous crime of being attacked by one of the "thug life" assholes who also attend my school. Even if they don't fight back, or even have the chance to do so. It's worse than goddamn Soviet Russia for the USA's children.
Don't eat ice cream in Belarus.

Bloody hell.
The only thing worth doing in Belarus is organizing revolution. Their government is waiting for a reunification with the Russian Federation which will never happen, because apparently in Russia Belarus is portrayed as being a desirable place to live at about the same level as the backwoods of the US Deep South. One last blight to keep Europe from being boarder-to-boarder democracies.
I take it you can't have parties, or if you push the meaning of "organized public assembly", movies?  If you can't assemble, how do you play sports?
If it's like most laws of this kind, public meetings of three people or more are classified as criminal unless government approved. I imagine that the only sports that go on are ones sanctioned by Belarus's government. Which is to say, almost none. If it's like most laws of this kind, the given justification for this is crime prevention, but the real reason is making things difficult for protestors and revolutionaries. Funny story, my school district uses a similar system of rules to "prevent gang activity".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: August 14, 2011, 08:22:34 pm »

Funny that you bring that up...

Short post supporting maternity leave.

This is a very, very good thing for everyone to read.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:27:12 pm by Vector »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: August 14, 2011, 08:46:22 pm »

Damn near everything about this list is ill-research, just plain wrong, otherwise ignorant, or morally reprehensible. I would have reported the post but I don't feel like this thread can survive with more moderator attention right now.
In his defense, it' obvious he means "look, these are my prejudices and generalisations (both words imply 'wrong', not 'well-researched')". Admitting that you have them doesn't make you a bad person.

Admitting to that isn't bad, but the thing itself is pretty bad, as is making little to no effort to remedy it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: August 15, 2011, 03:14:01 am »

Admitting to that isn't bad, but the thing itself is pretty bad, as is making little to no effort to remedy it.
I can relate to how the "I know it's wrong but I can't be bothered to fix it"-attitude towards pretty important topics can be quite annoying.

On the other hand, being able to analyse what you're actually thinking is the first step to making it better. We all generalise, but realising that and where you do it is very important, so you're able to tell which responses to a situation are based on prejudice and which are "legitimate".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: August 15, 2011, 07:00:28 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/stop-coddling-super-rich-buffett-084140678.html

Buffett's stocks just went several percents up in my eyes. US can't handle its debt without taxes, and I'd sooner have wealthy people give a bit more than have poorer families get along with even less.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: August 15, 2011, 07:01:59 am »

During the Straw Poll, every Republican was seeking to curry his favor. And now we know why he didn't give it. Thank you sir, your sanity is appreciated.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 852