Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854914 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3540 on: August 14, 2011, 01:29:08 pm »

You are the one baiting, by claiming I intended my post to be an insult when it was not.  I'm not arguing this again.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: August 14, 2011, 01:30:23 pm »

You are the one baiting, by claiming I intended my post to be an insult when it was not.  I'm not arguing this again.

You use insulting words in your posts; this is a problem. You use insulting words repeatedly while being repeatedly asked not to, people will take it as an insult and you know or should know this.

No, I'm not, you've done it repeatedly and claimed everyone else is to blame, repeatedly. I'm moving on until you do it again, I suggest we both do.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:38:20 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: August 14, 2011, 02:15:42 pm »

Suggested Subjects:

Why does this keep happening? Is there something education misses systematically?
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/113248/biggest-businesses-by-college-dropouts-cnbc
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/backtoschool/10-reasons-to-skip-the-expensive-colleges-2518407/
(I know it's not the most reputable source, but they have some decent points)

Health Care Reform in the US.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Appeals-court-strikes-health-apf-2954064794.html?x=0
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:31:05 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: August 14, 2011, 02:26:30 pm »

::)

It's mostly scare tactics and stupid bullshit.  Of course not every single person from a Princeton graduating class is going to end up rich and famous.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: August 14, 2011, 03:05:13 pm »

Yeah. Of course people can succeed outside the university system. That doesn't mean that most college dropouts will, in fact, or thwt it is easier  to prosper in academic fields outside university than inside. The contrary is likely true
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: August 14, 2011, 03:05:47 pm »

::)

It's mostly scare tactics and stupid bullshit.  Of course not every single person from a Princeton graduating class is going to end up rich and famous.

Yeah I agree with most of what you're saying, but, I do think there is a disconnect in teaching practical things in school for the average student. I mean, of course, it's just a bell curve, not many are going to reach the top, but.... I don't know, maybe it's just a problem with the career services department or the market being terrible right now.

Maybe I'm just biased by my own experiences and those of my friends, but I admit it freely.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: August 14, 2011, 03:10:15 pm »

Indian- India, Pakistan, Turkey, etc.
Woah, this group contains itself and several other groups.  Crazy.

Also Turkey is nowhere near India.  The entire Middle East is between them.

And sorting by accent would require more distinctions than you've given.  For instance, you've put "British" as an accent when a super dour Scot and a posh Londoner are likely to sound extremely different.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: August 14, 2011, 03:39:54 pm »

What was the point of that "racial list" to begin with?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: August 14, 2011, 03:55:11 pm »

Yeah. Of course people can succeed outside the university system. That doesn't mean that most college dropouts will, in fact, or thwt it is easier  to prosper in academic fields outside university than inside. The contrary is likely true

I think the lesson that is if you see an opportunity, you should take it and not let your "education" get in the way - that is what all these people did. They pursued education for as long as they thought it was in their best interest, and as soon as the opportunity came for success, they seized it. And all of them had proved by that point they didn't really need it - they were perfectly capable of learning on their own.

Even for many on that list, though, college wasn't worthless - one of the benefits of the Ivy Leagues is the people you meet, and you don't need to actually finish a degree to get those contacts. If you've met who you went there to meet, why keep paying for it, right?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: August 14, 2011, 04:16:17 pm »

To prove this point, Hacker and Dreifus tracked the 900-odd students who graduated from Princeton in 1973 to see if the school was delivering on its promise “to prepare students for positions of leadership,” whether in business, public service, or the arts, which Princeton administrators claim as their goal. “We were very disappointed,” Hacker says. “There were only a handful of recognized names in that class of 900. What that tells us is simply this: In America, if you put your talents to their best use, by the age of 35 or 36, you’ll be passing people from Princeton, no matter where you went to school.”
This is either a bad piece of research or a very poorly presented one.  The promise to prepare students for positions of leaderships is not a guarantee that all students (or even a "handful" of them) will go on to be "recognized names".  You can hold a position of leadership without being recognizable, or be successful without having a position of leadership.

The conclusion is also very vague - what exactly does it mean by "put your talents to best use"?  There's no explanation for what it means by this, so as far as I can tell it's just saying "If you are very successful then you will be more successful than some of the people who went to Princeton".  Well... yeah.  I'd hope that there isn't an absolute line dividing those who went to Princeton and those who didn't.

The point about research is also odd - I mean, sure, they'll want to research, but wouldn't they also want to be training more researchers for themselves?  I mean, some of the research universities I've visited give undergrads a chance to research sometimes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: August 14, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »

I personally think that stuff is kind of bullshit.  I don't trust a career teacher to be able to prepare me for research work, and in my experience it really was the big research names who prepared the most exhaustive lectures.

Bleh.  Oh, well...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: August 14, 2011, 05:08:35 pm »

Essay about "black hipsters."

The act of being a hipster defies race. unless there is a culture that wears non-prescription glasses and sits on the curb drinking PBR, in which case I am sadly mistaken.

I'd like to think that there are not these terms like "Black America" and "Hispanic America" floating around, like we have different countries that make up the USA. And yet people seem to think that.

For example, I live in a medium-sized town in Georgia. When I think of the bad places in town (For this case we call it "Frogtown". I have no idea why) I don't think "The place where black people are", I think "Christ, that guy looks like a hobo. He must be from Frogtown". It doesn't matter if that man is White, Black, South american, Spanish, or any other race. He's creepy and chances are he's drunk as a mother fucker.

You act like you're all post-racial or something, but clearly have no idea how ethnicities can/should/would actually be classified or how they affect life and culture. I would say more, but I don't have the time right now and don't feel like getting upset about it. The entire thing is bullshit, you think "American" is a race, you have no idea what "Mandarin" means, and you insulted an entire nation/people (Japan). Damn near everything about this list is ill-research, just plain wrong, otherwise ignorant, or morally reprehensible. I would have reported the post but I don't feel like this thread can survive with more moderator attention right now.

Also: The reason people say things like "Black America" is because they are referring to a particular culture within US culture. They exist; deal with it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: August 14, 2011, 06:13:44 pm »

Damn near everything about this list is ill-research, just plain wrong, otherwise ignorant, or morally reprehensible. I would have reported the post but I don't feel like this thread can survive with more moderator attention right now.
In his defense, it' obvious he means "look, these are my prejudices and generalisations (both words imply 'wrong', not 'well-researched')". Admitting that you have them doesn't make you a bad person.

Plus that he's kinda right about Japan. ;) Damn pokemon should die DIE DIE oh wait I just remembered not to post in this thread while drinking.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: August 14, 2011, 06:15:13 pm »

Yeah, but your prejudices and generalisations should at least make sense.  If they don't, it's perfectly reasonable to challenge them.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: August 14, 2011, 06:34:40 pm »

And then there's whatever the crap this is:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,396362,00.html
http://www.clickorlando.com/slideshow/education/17036681/detail.html

Refuge in absurdity:
First of all. Prison uniforms should be bright colors, like orange to make it hard for prisoners to escape
http://www.costumeshop.us.com/orange_prison_jumpsuit_47985_prd1.htm
The thing they are talking about is black... dark blue? So if you use your patented shiv to escape, you can easily blend in at night? This looks like work coveralls, which as the article notes, is a tad insulting given that if work coveralls = prison uniforms, that has a negative implication on honest people with jobs requiring coveralls.  The district didn't have to use the term "prison" anywhere in there. Naturally, they just had to make sure the "jumpsuits" were both made by prison inmates and styled after the prison uniforms they are forced to wear. Come one, come all, into 1984....

I love this kid:
The senior class president, Jordan Meredith, said some students plan to turn the policy on its head — instead of considering the jumpsuits a punishment, they'll make them cool.

"I don't think that jumpsuits are going to work, because my friends actually, instead of it being a punishment, they'll see it as an opportunity to be like, rebels," said Meredith, who also isn't sure whether his hair, dyed bright fire-engine red, will pass muster. "I don't think there's going to be enough jumpsuits for everyone in the school."

This hits the guys in the district purchasing department right in the wallet.

This school can basically kiss the idea of any alumni donations goodbye....

Because wearing everyday street clothes is distracting, but a prison inmate uniform... is not?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:43:19 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 852