Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856011 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3315 on: August 09, 2011, 04:42:53 pm »

Right, that's the point.

If it's not working, why is a potential for equal dysfunction the gatekeeper of love?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: August 09, 2011, 04:49:18 pm »

I guess I'd be okay with polygamy, provided that all of the wedder's spouses (that's right, ALL OF THEM.) legally consent to the marriage and all spouses are collectively married (as in, if a man marries a woman, and then another woman, those two women are considered married too.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:53:28 pm by Heliman »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: August 09, 2011, 04:55:54 pm »

Right, that's the point.

If it's not working, why is a potential for equal dysfunction the gatekeeper of love?

I agree but have no solution. I'm afraid the best I can offer is what I hope to be insight....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: August 09, 2011, 05:03:35 pm »

Right, that's the point.

I agree but have no solution. I'm afraid the best I can offer is what I hope to be insight....

I'm against marriage. Seriously I hate this institution, it's not even barely fit for our ways of living, but peoples cling to it in all it's "romantic" silliness.
We do not take engagement for life anymore, and seriously, doing so is stupid.
And what do you swear? Obedience for protection? Well, at least that made sense.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: August 09, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »

As someone denied marriage, I find it especially sad that those with it often squander it. I like to imagine one swears affection.... How foolish and idealistic I am it seems. :)

To me marriage would mean:

"All my greatest affections go to you before and beyond all others, forever. The whole damn world is ugly, but you're beautiful to me. I shall face the world, come whatever may from it, with you. Never think I'll abandon you; I will never give you cause to. Seek what comforts from me you may find. What I ask from you, all I ask from you, is the same. This I swear to you upon whatever honor I may have or ever hope to gain."

The administrative matters, whatever form they should take, should facilitate this: hospital visitation (an enormous one for me), joint medical decisions, contract, shared benefits, etc.

It may not be everyone's idea, but it is mine....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:47:02 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: August 09, 2011, 05:50:11 pm »

As someone denied marriage, I find it especially sad that those with it often squander it. I like to imagine one swears affection.... How foolish and idealistic I am it seems. :)

"All my greatest affections go to you before and beyond all others, forever. The whole damn world is ugly, but you're beautiful to me. I shall face the world, come whatever may from it, with you. Never think I'll abandon you; will never give you cause to. Seek what comforts from me you may find. What I ask from you, all I ask from you, is the same. This I swear to you upon whatever honor I may have or ever hope to gain."

The administrative matters, whatever form they should take, should facilitate this: hospital visitation (an enormous one for me), joint medical decisions, contract, shared benefits, etc.

Yup, no offense meant, but this is a bit... well surly you can see it. Maybe it will be true, maybe it won't. If you're not sure, why do you swear it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seriously, how bold is that? Well a look at statistic data is enough of an anser : it's VERY bold to pretend that you'll stay in this mindset all your life, and among people I know, some of their worst mistakes are to try to keep their word true.
Don't talk if you're not sure (except if that's about finance and politics on a gaming forum in which case you're excused).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: August 09, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »

Yeah there'd be a lot of restructuring of marriage laws if we were to make polygamy legal, but that's hardly a good reason to not allow it.

This though strikes me as wrong...
I can't help being scared that it provides a way to let women be treated like property....
A) Same can be said of monogamous marriage. "It can be abused" is not a good reason for disallowing it.
B) Who says it'll be 1 man and many women? Why not 1 woman and many men? Why not some mix, or all the same gender?

I'm against marriage. Seriously I hate this institution, it's not even barely fit for our ways of living, but peoples cling to it in all it's "romantic" silliness.
We do not take engagement for life anymore, and seriously, doing so is stupid.
And what do you swear? Obedience for protection? Well, at least that made sense.
Eh. I see where you're coming from, but if two people want to be "bound" together with a contract I see no reason to stop them.
Legally I'd prefer marriage be stripped from the laws, in favor of that "household" thing that was mentioned earlier.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: August 09, 2011, 06:19:18 pm »

"All my greatest affections go to you before and beyond all others, forever. The whole damn world is ugly, but you're beautiful to me. I shall face the world, come whatever may from it, with you. Never think I'll abandon you; will never give you cause to. Seek what comforts from me you may find. What I ask from you, all I ask from you, is the same. This I swear to you upon whatever honor I may have or ever hope to gain."

Yup, no offense meant, but this is a bit... well surly you can see it. Maybe it will be true, maybe it won't. If you're not sure, why do you swear it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seriously, how bold is that? Well a look at statistic data is enough of an anser : it's VERY bold to pretend that you'll stay in this mindset all your life, and among people I know, some of their worst mistakes are to try to keep their word true.
Don't talk if you're not sure (except if that's about finance and politics on a gaming forum in which case you're excused).

Try; sometimes fail. Never try; never win:
I am not sure I will live tomorrow; but I will plan my best for doing so. Further, I know for a certainty that I will one day fail to live, (though I know not which day) but nonetheless I strive to do so knowing failure is assured. Given that, if I strive for something I know for an absolute certainty will fail, striving for an idea I don't know will fail isn't too terrible in and of itself. Never try; never win.

That said, I admire what seems to be your devotion to your word and refusal to give it until and unless you are sure you can keep it :). I may fail, but only after every good faith attempt to avoid this is made. I will have tried. I tried....

Bold (now bolded)
I know and I admitted this. :)
How foolish and idealistic I am it seems. :)

Personal history anyone?
I came fairly close to getting married to a wonderful man once; we were in a two year relationship and sort of talking about moving to Canada for it. I was foolish and prideful; I wanted to stay here and study law; he went to MN state for a graduate engineering degree. The long distance wasn't fair to either of us so opportunity ended it. He is now married to a lovely post operative transsexual woman in Canada who is actually quite a nice person though I confess to envying her. They still want to be my friends and are still wonderful people. I confessed to her that while I would never do anything to jeopardize their happiness, I simply wasn't mature enough to take seeing him with another woman and that I would fully understand and accept it if she slapped me. She hugged me and said I was welcome any time I should change my mind.... ???

Swearing what I would've happy sworn is immensely arrogant of me, but no moreso than "til death do us part" in a system of 60% divorce.... I think this should be what we strive to make marriage into. We would need some sort of courtship ritual that gradually would move people from acquaintances to friends to better friends and then really really good friends until ....

Like I said:
How foolish and idealistic I am it seems. :)
:P

O polygamy

Yeah there'd be a lot of restructuring of marriage laws if we were to make polygamy legal, but that's hardly a good reason to not allow it.
It's not the restructuring per se, so much as it is the fact that we don't even know HOW it would be restructured or if that is feasible. My aversion is not to restructuring, but the lack of a plan.

I can't help being scared that it provides a way to let women be treated like property....
A) Same can be said of monogamous marriage. "It can be abused" is not a good reason for disallowing it.
B) Who says it'll be 1 man and many women? Why not 1 woman and many men? Why not some mix, or all the same gender?

A.) "It can be abused," is a good reason for not allowing something without regulation/rules to address and remedy that abuse. Currently we don't have any idea what those might be. The fact that monogamous marriage can be abusive neither justifies nor invalidates possible abuse from poly marriages. It is a neutral fact at best and something we should fix in marriage in general in truth. It does not go to a properly relevant  point, or if it does, two wrongs don't make a right.

I'm not saying I won't eat it; I'm saying it needs longer to cook. Until it is fully cooked; I won't eat it.

B.) My three friends History, Precedent and Experience.... While I concede the point that logically it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a small number of men and many women, that's pretty much how it has worked where it's been tried. Moreover, women, being disadvantaged, often find themselves forced into these types of arrangements, and yes, while some women have been forced into monogamous marriages I submit the instance rate is higher in poly marriages. No I cannot offer source citation, no valid research has been conducted, this is from what I have read. If you wish to take that as a weakness in my argument, then please do so. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:36:18 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: August 09, 2011, 07:02:30 pm »

It's not the restructuring per se, so much as it is the fact that we don't even know HOW it would be restructured or if that is feasible. My aversion is not to restructuring, but the lack of a plan.
Fair enough.

A.) "It can be abused," is a good reason for not allowing something without regulation/rules to address and remedy that abuse. Currently we don't have any idea what those might be. The fact that monogamous marriage can be abusive neither justifies nor invalidates possible abuse from poly marriages. It is a neutral fact at best and something we should fix in marriage in general in truth. It does not go to a properly relevant  point, or if it does, two wrongs don't make a right.

I'm not saying I won't eat it; I'm saying it needs longer to cook. Until it is fully cooked; I won't eat it.
I'll concede some new laws and such would need to be made to deal with domestic issues that will arise, but honestly I don't see it as too big a leap from current situations.

The biggest change would be in sheer numbers; likely there will be a LOT of kids. But parent to parent issues? Eh.
B.) My three friends History, Precedent and Experience.... While I concede the point that logically it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a small number of men and many women, that's pretty much how it has worked where it's been tried. Moreover, women, being disadvantaged, often find themselves forced into these types of arrangements, and yes, while some women have been forced into monogamous marriages I submit the instance rate is higher in poly marriages. No I cannot offer source citation, no valid research has been conducted, this is from what I have read. If you wish to take that as a weakness in my argument, then please do so. :)
While historically that's always been the case, historically polygamy hasn't exactly been consensual either, with the men doing the choosing. Because women have far more choice over who they marry nowadays, I think it'd be safe to assume there will be quite a few women with multiple husbands, along with some families with different ratios.

As a side note, I'm not sure why women/multiple men polygamist families aren't more prevalent in fiction. I think I've seen it maybe once, ever. Something I noticed a while ago :P
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: August 09, 2011, 07:18:45 pm »

:)

I'll concede some new laws and such would need to be made to deal with domestic issues that will arise, but honestly I don't see it as too big a leap from current situations.

The biggest change would be in sheer numbers; likely there will be a LOT of kids. But parent to parent issues? Eh.

O please don't underestimate the number of "parent to parent" issues. I've seen a great deal of divorces. Everyone comes in wanting  a "simple dissolution" (cause it's cheaper!) and they walk out with a messy as hell divorce (which is expensive!), because dissolution is divorce by agreement.... It requires agreement... of a couple... who currently can't get along well enough to stay married.... It doesn't end well.... And yes, this goes to child support issues raised earlier about the whole kids thing. Child support is a whole 'nother nightmare I'm not sure if I want to get into given the already massive burden I'm placing on my therapist... :P

While historically that's always been the case, historically polygamy hasn't exactly been consensual either, with the men doing the choosing. Because women have far more choice over who they marry nowadays, I think it'd be safe to assume there will be quite a few women with multiple husbands, along with some families with different ratios.

As a side note, I'm not sure why women/multiple men polygamist families aren't more prevalent in fiction. I think I've seen it maybe once, ever. Something I noticed a while ago :P

Eh, the same pressures that forced women to marriages they didn't want back then are here still: familial, political, economic.... There's a lot of economic pressure these days.... A whole lot.... There are fewer swords involved, but the force is still there....

Can you really assume anything about an undefined system, especially when the thing you're assuming runs counter to historical precedent? Granted, it doesn't have to be the same way it was before, but won't you concede it is reasonable to assume that when something happened one way before a whole bunch of times it will continue to happen that way? I don't see anything changing it significantly personally....

It was that way yesterday; it is that way today, what shall it be tomorrow...?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:23:07 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: August 09, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »

O please don't underestimate the number of "parent to parent" issues. I've seen a great deal of divorces. Everyone comes in wanting  a "simple dissolution" (cause it's cheaper!) and they walk out with a messy as hell divorce (which is expensive!), because dissolution is divorce by agreement.... It requires agreement... of a couple... who currently can't get along well enough to stay married.... It doesn't end well.... And yes, this goes to child support issues raised earlier about the whole kids thing. Child support is a whole 'nother nightmare I'm not sure if I want to get into given the already massive burden I'm placing on my therapist... :P
Oh I didn't mean to underestimate those issues, just was saying that they wouldn't be hugely different from how they are now. Kids would be the huge nightmare. If one parent decides to separate from the others, do they get their biological children? The ones they feel most attached to? Yikes.

Eh, the same pressures that forced women to marriages they didn't want back then are here still: familial, political, economic.... There's a lot of economic pressure these days.... A whole lot.... There are fewer swords involved, but the force is still there....

Can you really assume anything about an undefined system, especially when the thing you're assuming runs counter to historical precedent? Granted, it doesn't have to be the same way it was before, but won't you concede it is reasonable to assume that when something happened one way before a whole bunch of times it will continue to happen that way? I don't see anything changing it significantly personally....

It was that way yesterday; it is that way today, what shall it be tomorrow...?
I assume that will be the case because when it comes to gender differences, I feel you need to prove there's a difference rather than prove there's a similarity. I do not feel there's sufficient evidence to assume that men are more inclined than women to love more than one person and not want to choose between them.

Of course there are still plenty of social issues in play. However, I feel that any double standards that will arise in a polygamous marriage already arise in monogamous ones. Women feeling pressured to marry, domestic abuse, all those things already happen, and I don't feel they will be any worse in a polygamous family than a monogamous one. Of course we'd be sailing into unknown waters, but any potential new or worsened social issues are still solvable.

It's fair to be skeptical, but don't let the fear of the unknown hold you back.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: August 09, 2011, 08:20:06 pm »

Well, from a technical standpoint, 1 woman and multiple men is polyandry. Rare, but it has existed in northern India, Bhutan and Tibet and in parts of the ancient Near East. Of course, it's not necessarily an inverse of patriarchal polygamy, wherein the woman has all the power and the men are merely sexual property. Instead it's more of a "group of men with a single female as common property". There are even some Biblical references to fraternal polyandry, wherein two brothers might share the same wife (although usually it was more "if a man dies, his widow is automatically remarried to his brother")

Multiple members from each gender is typically termed "group marriage" and is extremely rare. There's a handful of tribal societies in North America and Polynesia that practiced it, and a few communal traditions in the US like the Oneida Society.

For better or worse, polygyny (the more correct term for what we've been discussing) is orders of magnitude more common historically than the alternatives mentioned above.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: August 09, 2011, 08:40:58 pm »

[Disclaimer, none of the following is legal advice. Please seek legal counsel licensed to practice in your jurisdiction if you require assistance]

Oh I didn't mean to underestimate those issues, just was saying that they wouldn't be hugely different from how they are now. Kids would be the huge nightmare. If one parent decides to separate from the others, do they get their biological children? The ones they feel most attached to? Yikes.

I respectfully submit you have underestimated them especially the new "spouse to spouse" or "parent to parent" issues. As I said before:

Also seriously consider this from an administrative view: divorce, benefits, tax code, down the rabbit hole we go.... Do you divorce just one of your spouses or all of them? Who would pay child/spousal support and to whom? Are they all liable for each other's debts and tax obligations through marriage? Are they liable if they divorce some of their spouses but not all?  Can you have interlocking poli marriages where two different poli groups have certain members married to one another but not others? This part is a very complex and legit concern whether you are for or against.

Murphy's law will come into play as it always does. Nothing, nothing in law is simple.

Spousal support alone will be a nightmare. Who pays what and in what portion, for how long. Whose wages/bank accounts can be garnished and for what portion of the spousal support due? How do you apportion criminal liability for unpaid spousal support if a state statute makes skipping out on that a crime?

Creditors: If someone owes you money can you go after their spouse? Can you go after their poly spouse? Can you go after their poly spouse if they divorced them, or only part of the group marriage? Can you only go after those remaining in the marriage for debt or should you have to attempt to collect the debt from them first and then go after spouses who have left via divorce? Should you just be able to straight up collect. Are the spouses "Jointly and Severally Liable" whereby you can sue any and every one of them individually for the whole amount and then its their problem to deal with who is responsible for the bill among their spouses later? Or can you only sue a spouse for their proportional share of the liability (if they are one of 7 spouses can you only sue them for 1/7 of the debt?). I'm not even going to touch bankruptcy considerations....

Then of course there are medical decisions. What if you have 3 people in a marriage and a medical decision needs to be made for an unconscious spouse in the hospital AND THEY DISAGREE? One spouse wants one choice made for their unconscious spouse while the other wants a different choice made for the unconscious spouse. And that's just with 3 people, try 5, 7, 9.... Do they vote? To they submit evidence of your wishes and who understands them best and what if your wishes have changed and only a small portion of them know of this update? Do they have a hearing and if so what happens if they don't have time for this. The doctor needs to cut or not, immediately.... :( Choose.... Now.... Your loved one's time is running out and the 7 of you can't decide <---- Problem. One spouse, one decision made now.... It can be wrong, but it is timely and presumably, the spouse is the person closest to the unconscious patent. They SHOULD know best....

This is a fundamental rule of governance, the executive function is one person making the snap decision where a legislative decision made by a counsel would take too long. The executive has the most freedom where they act in accordance with the legislature and the least while acting against it.

Capacity to contract: As above with the medical decisions but other decisions involving legal contract obligations binding spouses to debt and benefits from those agreements.

Childcare decisions both during and after marriage: It is fair to say that if it is often hard to get 2 people to agree on things for their children then the more actors making the decision will mean harder choice making. How should the kids be raised? What school should they attend? Should they all attend the same schools? Summer camps? after school functions? Should the parents together as a group have a say over all the children from that group marriage? Should they only have a say over their own biological children? Over all children born of issue of the marriage?

Wills Estates and Trusts:
There is a reason we have a whole separate court for wills and such: probate court. It is complex shit the likes of which can blow up badly with little effort. You will see families who "love each other" rip each other to bloody shreds over who gets what from the dead person. It is incredibly difficult to deal with step parents and former spouses* in the current system, and increasing the number of spouses can only, by definition, increase the complexity of this. Then when you are making a will, is one spouse allowed to favor one child over the other or one spouse over the other when they are all currently related?

All of these are entirely legit concerns for policy that must be addressed....

*I do not mean to imply there is anything wrong with mixed families or step family. I only state the fact that this is a red flag for potential complexity to an estate planning scenario foreshadowing possible litigation.

Should I really keep going?

I assume that will be the case because when it comes to gender differences, I feel you need to prove there's a difference rather than prove there's a similarity. I do not feel there's sufficient evidence to assume that men are more inclined than women to love more than one person and not want to choose between them.

Of course there are still plenty of social issues in play. However, I feel that any double standards that will arise in a polygamous marriage already arise in monogamous ones. Women feeling pressured to marry, domestic abuse, all those things already happen, and I don't feel they will be any worse in a polygamous family than a monogamous one. Of course we'd be sailing into unknown waters, but any potential new or worsened social issues are still solvable.

Again, we've said historically this has been the case. It's the only precedent we have on point. The only evidence available isn't sufficient to prove a difference?

You feel it won't be more likely to cause problems; I feel it will. I could point again to history, but there really isn't a point to that is there? You think things have changed enough to invalidate the historical precedent--that those circumstances can be distinguished to the point of inapplicability. I don't. 

Who is right? I Have no damn Idea. I actually hope you are. I hope the world is better. I want to believe that; but I don't.... I can't. The world is an ugly as hell place....

It's fair to be skeptical, but don't let the fear of the unknown hold you back.
Just the concerns I know about [and there are many more I don't know about] would, without the slightest exaggeration fill volumes. No one has answers to these concerns and there needs to be for the practice to be viable.

Simply, I submit we cannot responsibly proceed with changes of this magnitude without serious further consideration, the likes of which would take quite some time to apply and reach viable results. I do not state it would be impossible, only it should not be, until and unless we consider these and reach reasonable solutions. There is a difference between "not letting fear of the unknown hold you back," and knowing of problems but failing to plan for them. Then there is the fact that those unknown problems could be discovered if more time and thought was applied to the issue. Thus I do not believe it would be responsible to proceed at present with polygamy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:31:19 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: August 09, 2011, 08:46:01 pm »

@Truean: Just wanted to state my appreciation for the nice through perspectives from the legal services standpoint you write for us.

*hugs*

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: August 09, 2011, 09:02:21 pm »

@Truean: Just wanted to state my appreciation for the nice through perspectives from the legal services standpoint you write for us.

*hugs*

:)......... [does not believe her eyes but then realizes it's real], [hugs softly and happily]............

You're certainly welcomes. I appreciate how so many people here have been nice to me :D :D.

However, shit, I do hope I wasn't being over the top.... I do hope kaijyuu realizes I wasn't trying to unload on his/her opinion. Rather I was trying to give it a high level of attention and respond to it properly. [Really hopes I did not make anyone at all uncomfortable]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:22:04 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 852