Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856224 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3240 on: August 09, 2011, 10:21:19 am »

I doubt anything massive would happen. Laws against sexual violence by women have been tightened a lot during the past decades - I'm sure you can find some statistical data to back up your claims that it'll create a wave of false charges.

Furthermore, again, the only way to remove all false charges is to abolish all crimes altogether.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:23:08 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: August 09, 2011, 10:21:38 am »

Still, I really don't see your point. You mean that if men learn that rape by women is now illegal, some of them may abuse it by "playing the rapist card"? How is that worse than women now "playing the rapist card" against men?

Honestly, any change in elgislation would hav eto be done publicly, so that male rape-victime dare coming out.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: August 09, 2011, 10:24:15 am »

Still, I really don't see your point. You mean that if men learn that rape by women is now illegal, some of them may abuse it by "playing the rapist card"? How is that worse than women now "playing the rapist card" against men?
That choice of words may have been poor. I was more thinking along the lines of this giving women haters even more ammunition to justify their atrocities. Because what better help can you ask for then a government that openly admits women are rapists?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: August 09, 2011, 10:25:53 am »

Honestly, any change in elgislation would hav eto be done publicly, so that male rape-victime dare coming out.

He fear a degradation in the condition of women, when rape claim being file abusively and false claim of evenness between male and female regarding to rape.

It's a fair point, even if I personally, doesn't expect it to do more harm than good. It must be horrible to have been raped and to be unable to have it acknowledged because of the gender of the attacker.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: August 09, 2011, 10:27:02 am »

That choice of words may have been poor. I was more thinking along the lines of this giving women haters even more ammunition to justify their atrocities. Because what better help can you ask for then a government that openly admits women are rapists?

I guess no different than "giving men haters more ammunition to justify their atrocities"? Unless there's something I'm not seeing here.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: August 09, 2011, 10:32:10 am »

I guess no different than "giving men haters more ammunition to justify their atrocities"? Unless there's something I'm not seeing here.
Misgyonism is much more prevalent, disruptive and damaging to society them misandry will ever be. Just because they both exist doesn't mean we should lose track of the balance here. Giving misandrist more ammunition wouldn't do anything but make some men feel uncomfortalbe, while if we give misgyionists but an inch of extra room, feelings of discomfort are the least of our problems.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3246 on: August 09, 2011, 10:36:02 am »

Spoiler: Minor derail (click to show/hide)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: August 09, 2011, 10:37:59 am »

I thoroughly disagree (with Virex). Perhaps looking at people realistically will help matters, but keeping up myths in order to protect minorities is just weird, and even wrong because it hurts those who have been victimised. Here, I'll spoil this one for you, too: their poo doesn't smell like roses.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: August 09, 2011, 10:39:40 am »

I must agree with Siquo here. Now matter what discrimination exist against one group, it is not an excuse to discriminate against another.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: August 09, 2011, 10:50:01 am »

The problem with understanding the riots is that people are seeing them as one thing, when in reality there's several factors at play. The riots kicked off when police interrupted a peaceful protest regarding a man who was shot by the police (the facts surrounding this incident are not yet clear, but the police have already being caught lying about it). Since then they've escalated. Different people are involved in the riots for different reasons - some are (rightly, in my view) pissed off with years of neglect and heavy handed and racist policing. If you have no education, no chance of getting a job, and have been brought up in a world where violence is endemic and the only role models are vapid celebrities espousing mindless materialism, then you might as well riot, you'd be stupid not to. What's gonna stop you - prison? Prison isn't much of a deterrent if you already might as well be living in one.

And then there are the looters, quite a few if not most of whom are from more fortunate backgrounds. These arseholes are just petty criminals or opportunists, and their behaviour is inexcusable. Though going by past form I suspect the extent of the looting is being exaggerated by the police and the media, which is handy for the powers that be as they're distracting people from the real issues. British people love nothing more than a good old moral panic, so there's lots of hysterical calls to send in the army. It's only a matter of time til someone seriously suggests nuking the site from orbit just to be sure.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: August 09, 2011, 11:21:29 am »

I disagree with Virex completely. I'm not sure what's his agenda for defending women's "right" to get off with lesser punishment for rape than men, but again, I see no substantial reason for it. Rape laws concerning rape by women have been changed in many countries during the past decades - if it's bound to create misogyny, Virex should have statistical data to prove it.

Also, I find statements defending lesser punishment for sexual attacks very odd from a person who seemed to consider them very serious a few pages back.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: August 09, 2011, 11:30:05 am »

Misgyonism is much more prevalent, disruptive and damaging to society them misandry will ever be.

Just no. I might concede a little bit on "disruptive and damaging" due to men generally having higher positions of power in society, but not prevalent. Sexism goes both ways and is extremely common, although it manifests in different ways.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: August 09, 2011, 11:38:23 am »

As always, I think Virex's arguments are madness. Laws are there to protect individuals, and in this case, hell, even earlier in this thread, we had a discussion about a famous feminist woman raping someone.

Giving misandrist more ammunition wouldn't do anything but make some men feel uncomfortalbe
But giving people, anyone, immunity from the law is probably going to result in a hell of a lot more than people feeling uncomfortable. People getting raped is not just them "being uncomfortable", and since a societal "ok to rape" is the ammunition we are discussing, it frankly sickens me to see you being okay with that sort of situation.

Because what better help can you ask for then a government that openly admits women are rapists?
And this is the crux of our problem, I think. Time and again - THE GROUP IS NOT THE PEOPLE IN THE GROUP. There ARE women rapists, and the fact that you think we need to let them get away with it because it might damage "the group" to have their existence acknowledged is on par with the Catholic church hiding pederasts from the law for the exact same reason. Its a selfish view, morally reprehensible, and damaging to society as a whole, to believe certain people should be allowed to get away with things simply because of the group they belong to.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:41:05 am by GlyphGryph »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:27 am »

I don't think any form of sexual assault should be legal, regardless of the sex of the offender. Punishing only one sex for it is downright unfair.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: August 09, 2011, 11:48:56 am »

I don't think any form of sexual assault should be legal, regardless of the sex of the offender. Punishing only one sex for it is downright unfair.

In UK, one needs a penis to be a rapist. Without one, one can still rack up other sexual assault charges, but will never get charged with rape itself.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 852