Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855908 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3150 on: August 09, 2011, 01:48:29 am »

To be honest, I don't even see the point of Woman's Studies. What is the point of it? Anyone I hear of who took it seems to hate everything men make or do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: August 09, 2011, 01:51:49 am »

I get historical women's studies at very least. Studying varying status and ambitions of women makes no less sense than studying other aspects of past societies.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3152 on: August 09, 2011, 01:53:03 am »

To be honest, I don't even see the point of Woman's Studies. What is the point of it? Anyone I hear of who took it seems to hate everything men make or do.

It's an attempt to prove how special women are compared to men so that they can pull up cards for more boons. That's how I experience them in my country atleast.

When men were given a few more rights women have had for years regarding their children, Feminists showed claws.

When asked why they thought it was fair only men have conscription, they pretend they didn't hear you.

It's bullshit, not equality.

Edit: This came out wrong, hard and harshly, I blame not sleeping and it being 9 in the morning. Disregard above or know that I didn't mean to sound offensive at all.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:06:34 am by Lysabild »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: August 09, 2011, 01:55:04 am »

Don't get too worked up, Vector, I figure a website called "askmen.com" would be as subtle as the freerepublic or stormfront of gender issues.  ::)

Understanding the qualities that make women... women. Their history, bias, and formative thinking.

Why study chemistry? Seems like chemistry majors only seem to hate everything physics majors do. Why study biology? Those guys hate chemistry. Psychology? Black History? Psssf, naturally they hate everything white people do.

Do you start to see a problem with your line of personal opinion?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:18 am »

Don't get too worked up, Vector, I figure a website called "askmen.com" would be as subtle as the freerepublic or stormfront of gender issues.  ::)

Understanding the qualities that make women... women. Their history, bias, and formative thinking.

Why study chemistry? Seems like chemistry majors only seem to hate everything physics majors do. Why study biology? Those guys hate chemistry. Psychology? Black History? Psssf, naturally they hate everything white people do.

Do you start to see a problem with your line of personal opinion?

Then why aren't there 'Men Studies'? It seems to me that those would be way more fun.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: August 09, 2011, 01:59:03 am »

Then why aren't there 'Men Studies'? It seems to me that those would be way more fun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_studies

Why indeed?  :P Probably because men are no fun.

*ducks*

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: August 09, 2011, 01:59:26 am »

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it, Kael.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: August 09, 2011, 01:59:52 am »

Go ahead and start Men Studies. No one's stopping you.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: August 09, 2011, 02:01:53 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_studies

Why indeed?  :P Probably because men are no fun.

*ducks*

I must find out if this is offered at a university in South Australia.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: August 09, 2011, 02:08:57 am »

If you look upthread, even before I read the article I agreed with him.

On the other hand, I think the framing of Tag as a boy's game, derided only by silly young feminists out to destroy the male population, is just slightly offensive.  I don't care if he's right or not.  In this case, it's about the way it was said and the easy derision with which he treated this counselor for things like her age, gender, and educational history.

The thing that pissed me off most about the post? The guy in the alleged story (the parent, obviously built up to be the sympathetic guy with the correct opinion, as in most chain-email-stories) starts talking about "implied consent" and "if you join the game, you expect to get touched". Think about what those excuses are normally used for. Now think about the implications of that for a second. It's as if he's using dog-whistle language (via a story about kids playing tag) to promote rape culture. Seriously, I think that's what might be going on here; a lot of those kinds of stories work that way, and are meant as basically ideological allegories/analogies. Why else would the story involve "implied consent" and how someone should "expect" to be touched, and the issue of feminism in particular being brought up? Not even in vague terms, but in the exact same terms used when people discuss things like date rape and casual sexual assault?

Stories like this often sugarcoat extremely dangerous or regressive mindsets by dressing them up in a scenario which is ostensibly legitimate in a way that's obvious to the reader. I mean, obviously saying that tag leads to rape/violence is patently ridiculous, even to the point of being farcical. However, the way it's presented makes it seem like tag isn't exactly the issue the writer is really talking about. This might sound a little paranoid of me, but this happens rather often: People who believe in some particular cause, or point, or belief, will promote it by forwarding around little stories or morality plays that somehow "prove" it one way or the other. Snopes has a lot of similar stories on their website, although normally with a more inspirational bent.

I will say that stereotypes of feminists do exist in real life. This is an unfortunate reality. I have, for instance, a friend who once was taking a women's studies class which, due to the professor she had, got her believing some pretty strange things, for instance that all oral sex (performed by a woman on a man) is necessarily degrading, and I forget what else. Because the students often lack the research and rhetorical skills to retort, ideas like that can become pretty seductive. For instance, there are also ideas floating around that women can't rape men, or that a man having sex with an inebriated woman is rape (which is obviously a good point), but that a woman having sex with an inebriated man is not, or that if they're both drunk, the man specifically is still at fault (which is degrading to both genders involved).

That being said, the fact that stereotypes exist doesn't mean that they compose the majority of that group, or that the subject itself is illegitimate. The fact of the matter is that Western society (and hell, most other society!) has been male-dominated for millennia, and women have only very recently emerged as politically and socially powerful in the same way that men are in modern times, and still have a long way to go. Gender relations is a very important topic, and deserves to be studied, as does the phenomenon of simply being a woman during this process. The reason why we don't need "Men's Studies" is because, Christ, if you're a man society has basically been built for-you-by-you for millennia anyway, so it's not as if you need any help coping with it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: August 09, 2011, 02:12:49 am »

If you look upthread, even before I read the article I agreed with him.

On the other hand, I think the framing of Tag as a boy's game, derided only by silly young feminists out to destroy the male population, is just slightly offensive.  I don't care if he's right or not.  In this case, it's about the way it was said and the easy derision with which he treated this counselor for things like her age, gender, and educational history.

The claims of tag as a "boy's game" would seem to be made by the educators, not the parents. Due to the reason given as preventing rape, domestic violence, molestation. Also note the TV ads mentioned back a while ago in this thread (i forget who by), labelling only playground boys as the "potential abusers". That's not in our imaginations.

Boys are specifically labelled as being the problem and typical boy's behavior is ostracized.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: August 09, 2011, 02:14:30 am »

I just think it seems like feminists are like nerds who just figured out how to be bullies, G-Flex.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: August 09, 2011, 02:18:28 am »

Boys are specifically labelled as being the problem and typical boy's behavior is ostracized.

Yep. I seriously think that the "feminists should stop claiming, boys will be boys!" and "there's implied consent and the girls should expect to be touched if they play!" and "stop getting your panties into a twist about sexual abuse!" (common buzzwords underlined) attitude throughout makes it seem like an allegory railing against feminist criticisms of rape culture/date rape in general. It's fucking frightening.

I just think it seems like feminists are like nerds who just figured out how to be bullies, G-Flex.

Is that seriously your response to my post? Why would you make such a sweeping generalization like that? All "feminist" implies is that a person cares about the advancement of the female sex/gender in society. It does not imply that they're a bully, or nerdy, or irrational, or anything like that. Yes, some of them are, but most social movements have their crackpots and wingnuts; that's normal.

I really wish you wouldn't insult such a broad philosophical and social movement by calling them all "nerds who just figured out how to be bullies". We just had Toady warn the thread for people coming into it and being insulting. We don't need that again, so I'd suggest you take a few steps back from what you're doing, and really, really consider both what you're about to say and what other people have been saying before you post again. I think that would be best for everyone here, including you.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: August 09, 2011, 02:20:49 am »

Wait, that's your position? You need to clarify that right the hell now, Gamerlord, because that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. All feminists? Really?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: August 09, 2011, 02:22:04 am »

Here's a PBS transcript where they interview two "rogue" female university professors. http://www.pbs.org/thinktank/transcript132.html

Interesting stuff, where some stuff taken as fact has no peer-review studies at all, yet is published in books or media PR releases.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:24:04 am by Reelyanoob »
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 852