Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855882 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3105 on: August 08, 2011, 09:55:06 pm »

I'll be honest, there are a lot of people who will be swayed by 100 bucks each, even if it's in average advertising per person.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: August 08, 2011, 09:57:22 pm »

True, but you don't need money, you need to be convincing. Money can be convincing, but it's not required. I've organized protests at city hall to try and get our current moneygrubbing corrupt bastard of a mayor out of office, and I didn't pay anyone a dime. I just brought my soapbox. I think I've made at least a small impact.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: August 08, 2011, 10:04:04 pm »

I just bought a house and I got a letter on my mailbox the other day.  At the end of this month there is a vote to oust one of the HOA board members.  The simple fact that I got a letter with reasons and complaints (with the owners of said complaints) makes me want to find out more.

IE: A simple letter drive does invoke action.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: August 08, 2011, 10:06:18 pm »

You mean all speech?  There's still no way to know that "wheat" implies "death" when someone writes that word to someone else.  That's my argument.  You can't filter out hate speech.
I'll say it again: the fact that you cannot perfectly remove all hate speech doesn't mean you shouldn't try to stop the examples which you can.  For instance, you can prevent people from making mass calls to violence in newspapers.

If codes are involved, that implies some kind of plot - and yes, plotting to murder someone (or a group of people) is illegal and will be prosecuted if possible.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: August 08, 2011, 10:12:40 pm »

As far as the trans as a disorder disorder thing, here's my 2 cents:

If the person wants or needs treatment of some sort in order to resolve their issues, it's probably safe to call it a disorder.

If all they want or need is social acceptance, then it's probably not.

As to whether its a physical/mental disorder - I'm pretty sure its both, in its own way. However, since the disorder causes severe mental distress, rather than actual physical impairment, I'd lean towards mental disorder. The fact that mental disorders tend to have a stigma attached to them is a whole 'nother can of worms, so I can see why people would want to reclassify it for practical reasons.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: August 08, 2011, 10:17:54 pm »

As far as the trans as a disorder disorder thing, here's my 2 cents:

If the person wants or needs treatment of some sort in order to resolve their issues, it's probably safe to call it a disorder.

If all they want or need is social acceptance, then it's probably not.

As to whether its a physical/mental disorder - I'm pretty sure its both, in its own way. However, since the disorder causes severe mental distress, rather than actual physical impairment, I'd lean towards mental disorder. The fact that mental disorders tend to have a stigma attached to them is a whole 'nother can of worms, so I can see why people would want to reclassify it for practical reasons.
Psychological Disorders are classified by the UMAD Protocol (Yes, really.). All four of these must apply for something to be a disorder.

Unjustifiable
Maladjusted
Atypical
Disturbing (To Society and Self)

The last one is what's relevant here. You have to not want your disorder for it to be a disorder. This argument is what got Homosexuality removed from the DSM.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: August 08, 2011, 10:21:37 pm »

Psychological Disorders are classified by the UMAD Protocol (Yes, really.). All four of these must apply for something to be a disorder.

Unjustifiable
Maladjusted
Atypical
Disturbing (To Society and Self)

The last one is what's relevant here. You have to not want your disorder for it to be a disorder. This argument is what got Homosexuality removed from the DSM.

Er, what is that protocol? I seriously can't find any information on it.

And if we're talking about the kind of transsexual-related disorder I was mentioning earlier... yes, that satisfies the end criterion. Transsexuals don't want their brains to think they have body parts they don't, or not think they have body parts that they do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:22 pm »

You mean all speech?  There's still no way to know that "wheat" implies "death" when someone writes that word to someone else.  That's my argument.  You can't filter out hate speech.
For instance, you can prevent people from making mass calls to violence in newspapers.
I cannot recall this being a headline in any newspapers in recent years.  Can you direct me to where this is happening?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: August 08, 2011, 10:25:43 pm »

I said you can prevent people from doing it.  Since it's clearly against the law and so easy to catch people who do it, it doesn't generally happen.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: August 08, 2011, 10:26:44 pm »

I said you can prevent people from doing it.  Since it's clearly against the law and so easy to catch people who do it, it doesn't generally happen.
Sure, but that doesn't require censoring hate speech.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: August 08, 2011, 10:31:09 pm »

Uh... what I said did involve censoring hate speech (and punishing those responsible).  I don't get what you're trying to say.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: August 08, 2011, 10:32:06 pm »

Wait, there's an actual protocol that is abbreviated "U MAD"? Damn, 4chan must have had a field day. In seriousness, though, I am unfamiliar with that one. Is that actually part of the DSM?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: August 08, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »

Wait, there's an actual protocol that is abbreviated "U MAD"? Damn, 4chan must have had a field day. In seriousness, though, I am unfamiliar with that one. Is that actually part of the DSM?
That's what my school's AP Psychology class says.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: August 08, 2011, 10:39:34 pm »

I can't find any information on it, so I'm calling shenanigans.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: August 08, 2011, 10:43:06 pm »

*shrug*

It's what I learned, as well.

For reference, France has declassified the object of our discussion as a mental illness.  Did so in 2010.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 852