Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856227 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2745 on: August 06, 2011, 04:21:47 am »

Just one question. WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW OF ALL THESE THINGS?!?!?!

All of what things?

(Sorry, I'm really not quite sure which "things" you're referring to)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:23:49 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: August 06, 2011, 04:34:40 am »

It has been remarked by my students that I seem to absorb a lot of what is to them useless information (for me, there is no such thing - everything is quite interesting) for no reason. I just like learning new things. I just have a hard time acceptiong that people can consider knowledge in any form a bad thing - that the same for anyone else?
This is a blank sig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 06, 2011, 04:55:51 am »

The usual answer I would give to "why do you know so much?" is "I study a lot."

But that's not exactly true, so then I'm forced to move on to "I don't really know."

And then, other people would say "Because Vector is extremely gifted."

But really, at this point, I'll just say: "Because I'm 21 years old, and there's a lot of learning that can happen in five years."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 06, 2011, 05:00:50 am »

Heh, I often tell the 18 to 20 yr olds that ask the same thing the following: "I am almost twice your age. Thats a lot of time for things to stick."
This is a blank sig.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: August 06, 2011, 06:11:17 am »

I've been asked that a lot as well. Answer: Reading a lot. Getting in corners of the internet where such reading material is aggregated. Have an interest in the world/universe around you.

I'm sorry if I came off as anything other than sincerely confused...
Keep it up, nothing as annoying or dumb as people who are sure of themselves. :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: August 06, 2011, 07:52:34 am »

Just one question. WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW OF ALL THESE THINGS?!?!?!

All of what things?

(Sorry, I'm really not quite sure which "things" you're referring to)

Okay, for example: How do you know so much about Greek history?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: August 06, 2011, 09:33:21 am »

Well, those of us around here with academic backgrounds will probably end up with some kind of understanding of it as the roots of pretty much any school of thinking will have its origins in the classical world - for me as a Physicist this means people like Aristotle, Plato, Archimedes, Hero, Euclid, Pythagoras, Democritus... I assume others here have a knowledge based on thier areas of focus.
This is a blank sig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: August 06, 2011, 10:36:15 am »

We know so much for one reason alone.

We like knowing things.

Well that's why I know as much as I do, anyways. I enjoy knowing things. I value knowing things... Or at least learning them! And since I enjoy it, I spend a good chunk of my free time learning.
The only things in life I enjoy nearly as much are creating/destroying things, and telling stories with others.

So it would make sense that I know as much as I do (and also that there are people here who know more. I assume they simply enjoy knowing/learning things more than I do!)

As an example:
My family is still confused that I sometimes go to the library and take out things like Geology textbooks and books about the history of steam trains. But I enjoy reading them! Its just sad I have such an extremely terrible memory, really...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:41:38 am by GlyphGryph »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: August 06, 2011, 10:37:45 am »

Partly that I love knowing things, partly my genuinely obsessive reading. If I see a book, I want to pick it up, most of the time.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: August 06, 2011, 10:41:11 am »

This thread has a hugely biased sample of people who like learning things and have taken opportunities (often later in high school and/or college) to explore areas we found particularly interesting. It's a biased sample because people who haven't done so are less likely to join a conversation that seems to be about Ancient Greek stories. Though I actually don't know enough about said stories to join in this one. Still, in principle, JOIN US.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: August 06, 2011, 10:43:51 am »

I agree with them, I love learning. I just don't like studying, for school I mean. :/ Hasn't really helped me...

But to get semi-back on track...

Yes, it's Cracked. But it's a nice list of eight mysoginist advertisements.

Most of them are old, but some of them are... well, fairly recent.

Just to make it be a -little- respectable, can anyone else think of other/more blatant/better examples of sexism/racism/etc?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:51:13 am by The Doctor »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: August 06, 2011, 10:47:39 am »

Ancient Greek and Latin are standard in the gymnasium high-school curriculum. Part of that is history/myths from those times.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: August 06, 2011, 10:55:48 am »

GID (Gender Identity Disorder
This is some of what I was referring to this morning/night - those classifications just seem inherently wrong and biased to me. I mean, I lean towards believing "transsexualism" is a psychological condition, but if so, I think my "cissexualism" is equally much of a psychological condition, just as much of a construct of the mind. I don't see the point of calling one a "identity disorder" and the other "normality" (or identity order?). Your gender might not be "matching up" with your body, but why is your body the baseline, when it is the personality/identity you've that were built in it that makes you you?

And well, if it is biological, for example as a result of brain structure (as I faintly remember reading someway back) or whatever, then I don't see why the chromosomes would matter at all. I mean, if a person have the brain structure of a female but in an otherwise male body, doesn't that make "him" a woman? Seemingly, the structure and chemistry of the brain decides so many other things about us, I can't see why gender would be different. What would weigh heaviest as to what we are, brain or cock?

And what if transsexualism can be caused both by nature and nurture? Could we consider the brain-man a man, as opposed to the psyche-man's "a man in a woman's body"? Or does it even matter?

I'm sorry for the thoughty post, but I find transsexuality as a concept very intriguing. I don't really understand it very well, and it raises so many questions about what and who and how we are. It caters very well to the part of me that goes "but what if..? what if..? what if..?" constantly.

I'm sorry if I came off as anything other than sincerely confused.... Surely you can see the cause of my distress, "if my understanding of this is wrong, then what does that mean, and what does that mean as applied to me...?" I don't know that I am a "straight woman," or how I fit on this scale. Other people tell me I am. All I know is that I only like men that way and should be a girl. I don't know what that places me as.
I can only agree with Vector on this. In my mind, regardless of the reasons for feeling so; if you feel you are a woman, then you should be considered a woman. If you also like men, then you'd be a straight woman. Others may insist that you're gay simply because you have a penis too, or whatever, but to me, it's your feelings and perspective that should matter.

@Vector: My self-diminishing parts doesn't like insisting like this, but I would very much like your input on my thoughts like in this post and my previous one. I mostly have only my own musings and thinkings, and I'm not making assertions about the verity of them, so if there are things and views I have not thought of, I would like you to tell me what you think about it. Other people too, of course, but as you seem to be very well read on subjects like these, and certainly much better read than I am.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2758 on: August 06, 2011, 11:18:55 am »

Even though I am barely in the recent conversation, I can answer gamerlords question.

I like to learn, and I spent half my life doing it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: August 06, 2011, 11:26:36 am »

Scriver, its a disorder because it causes a noted negative impact on the quality of ones life. Which is why it is reasonable to argue that one a person has transitioned, they no longer have it. The disorder isn't really defined by doesn't matter whether the body or the brain is the baseline, it's the disconnect between the two.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 852