Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856091 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2715 on: August 05, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »

I feel obligated to disclose my own bias. I'm exclusively attracted to men and couldn't imagine myself with a woman in any situation at all. The few friends who really know how I am would find the idea of me [ahem].... with a girl like that laughable or ridiculous. :) I actually tried to get myself to like women but simply just couldn't. I'm wayyyy on one extreme, so it is possible I just have a lot of trouble understanding this.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: August 05, 2011, 02:07:00 pm »

Even that hinges on your concept of what a "man" or a "woman" is; we're obviously influenced by those concepts, as well as the concepts of gender/sex-based orientation in the first place. Ancient Greeks didn't necessarily perceive of these things the same way, perceive of types of love/relationships the same way (they obviously didn't), nor did they necessarily treat sexual orientation (if they had such a concept popularly) as revolving around the same factors as us.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: August 05, 2011, 02:15:54 pm »

Unfortunately, there is exactly such a law by the text as written: Leviticus 18:22. Its translated differently but its always more or less the same:
I got a different one here:

Leviticus 18:22 Bij een manspersoon zult gij niet liggen met vrouwelijke bijligging; dit is een gruwel.
"Thou shalt not lie with a manperson with female withlieing; this is horrible."

Yeah, withlieing. No idea what it means, no dutch dictionary can enlighten me. The only thing I can imagine is "lieing with". So that just translates to: "If you have to have a threesome, M+M+F is kinda horrible and you're not going to do that." Or: "Don't have sex with other men while women are present".

I think I'm with Gflex and Glyph here. Straight, gay and even bi are maybe what your "usual" preferences are, and exceptions don't change that. Or something, I don't know. I knew this American girl who was 100% lesbian, except for her boyfriend, so he was an exception to what she usually did.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: August 05, 2011, 02:26:00 pm »

Freud invented homosexuality.

Oh no, not Segmund Frood. My mum's favourite person to misinterpret and mess with his words to try and put me down in her own bizarre way.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: August 05, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »

"withlieing"

with lieing....

With...lie...ing

Could it be an archiac term for "as one lies with a woman?" Kind of like how Shakespearean English is old and nigh incomprehensible to most modern English speakers without effort.

Kinda like "notwithstanding" except laying down....

It seems to fit in context?

Human sexuality: I don't understand it. My brain is still thinking the people/examples given are bi.... :(

Even that hinges on your concept of what a "man" or a "woman" is
Being trans, I understand this more. My gender is all screwed up and I totally feel I'm a woman and thankfully I've run across some rather understanding individuals who are kind enough to see it my way. Sadly I've also run into the "your chromosomes will always be XY so you'll never really be a woman" thing :( :(.

Actually Vector has been rather kind to me in this and other regards.

Also I've noticed many gays have a "type" and this includes me. I'm the "feminine" type and I go for the more "masculine" type, especially engineers for some reason. (I find their abilities fascinating). This doesn't mean "muscle bound" necessarily so much as what role he plays and characteristics he has.

O god, I really don't understand this well at all do I...? :(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:37:27 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: August 05, 2011, 02:49:35 pm »

Don't worry, we're all confused, one way or another  ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: August 05, 2011, 03:11:38 pm »

"withlieing"

with lieing....

With...lie...ing

Could it be an archiac term for "as one lies with a woman?" Kind of like how Shakespearean English is old and nigh incomprehensible to most modern English speakers without effort.

Or it could be absolutely nothing, because that word doesn't actually appear in any English translation (that I can find). Siquo's English quote there is probably a translation from the Dutch(?) he's also quoting... as if we need another translation step here.

KJV: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."
NIV: "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable."
Info and commentary: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibh.htm
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:00 pm »

Obviously it means you can not have vaginal intercourse with a male, which I find well founded advice, even if it is a little tautological.

Although on a less joking note, why do people even care? Your can't prove anything so you wont stop people from using it (and if you did they would use other ways). I am of the mind you might as well act like the Germans do and specifically ignore that part and get uncomfortable when it is mentioned.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: August 05, 2011, 03:44:27 pm »

Obviously it means you can not have vaginal intercourse with a male, which I find well founded advice, even if it is a little tautological.
Trying to penetrate the reproductive organ of a male would be rather abominable, if not downright cruel.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: August 05, 2011, 03:57:20 pm »

But totally allowable by the bible.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: August 05, 2011, 04:07:45 pm »

But totally allowable by the bible.
No, he was getting at the point that it would be the equivalent of what the Bible was actually saying not to do. If you're going to wise crack, keep up!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:19:50 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: August 05, 2011, 04:27:20 pm »

Also, yeah, Truean, you managed a pretty good summary of what I was trying to say, I think.

Though truth be told, I didn't really have any objection to saying there's a good chance Achilles was only attracted to guys. It was simply some of the particular arguments and statements you used in the process, the one I quoted in particular.
Spoiler: Tangent... (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: August 05, 2011, 05:08:42 pm »

Yes, Greek culture has many different kinds of love, and most of them are non-sexual.  Example--"agape," the spiritual love one would have of a mentor or god...  Here are the four types: Eros, Storge, Philia, Agape.  Some of these involve sex, some don't, many have it optional, loads don't give a crap about gender or try to break things down into "orientations" (if you've got Eros for girls only but your Philia has a side of gay intercrural sex once in a while as part of sealing your brotherly bond, what do you call it?).

And, well, Truean, breaking people down into bi, straight, gay only trisects the spectrum of sexual orientation, rather than leaving us with an understanding of "mostly straight," "mostly gay," whatever.  I'll continue to say that I'm "intellectualsexual," by which I really mean (I guess) that I feel lots and lots of Agape and Philia for teacher figures, but not that much on the Eros scale for anyone.  There's a really huge range of experiences.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: August 05, 2011, 05:22:41 pm »

Intellectualsexual; a newly coined term by Vector. You heard it here, folks!
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 852