Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855852 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2640 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:18 am »

Oh, and every male having muscles-beyond-measure, and everyone being macho is realistic? Marvel isn't really known for anatomic averages, and girls aren't the only ones with improbable role-models. If anything, in my recollection the women even get the juicier story arcs, with more in-depth character building, even though they are often not the protagonist.

I despise manga with a vengeance, Utena is not going to cover it.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:28 am »

Seriously, we JUST NOW got a black Disney Princess....
Now we wait for a M2F trans Disney princess?

That one is actually a serious question to Truean, by the by. Where does "accurate representation of the entire populace" end, and would you argue that a M2F princess should be included? And/or that two princesses actually marry each other and live happily ever after?

I've got a princess-addict at home, btw, and would not mind if they did and she was exposed to that, but am more wary of how much you can force companies to be PC.

Come to think of it, I'd welcome a trans princess. As long as she's a bit androgynous and pretty, don't want it to set a negative stereotype. It'd blur the whole gender thing and confuse the shit out of my toddler, who is now in some kind of hyper-polarisation phase, where she's aware of gender and very different in approach to boys and men versus girls and women, but I just like confusing people I guess.

We almost do have one now: Mulan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulan Except she goes from a girl to a boy and back again.

Sure, why the hell not? This boils down to including certain types of people in stories and trans don't have any widespread ones in modern times really. GLBT don't really either for the most part.

Ancient Greece had all kinds of characters, many of whom were gay as hell. Didn't his mom try to hide Achilles by disguising him as a girl among the temple maidens before Troy
http://www.scribd.com/doc/21257028/Discussion-Questions-on-Edith-Hamilton%E2%80%99s-Mythology-Directions-Answer-Each-Question
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also Achilles didn't mind wearing dresses. Sure, they try to say his mom was behind this but he never tried to run away. He liked it and she was accepting him.... He got along VERY well as bestest friends with the girls and despite being a boy he never tried to make any advances on any of the maidens, not a one. Gee it's almost like a gay fitting right in with the girls.... He's basically in the girl's locker room at an all girl's school and NOT A DAMN THING HAPPENS! GAAAAY! He just kept putting on his pretty clothes day after day.... It's been argued he was good at fighting because his competition was too focused on being "macho" and Achillies didn't care about that as much as he cared about where his sword was. Sure, he wanted fame and the only kind of fame in his day was from fighting....

Then there is the fact the Achilles was totally gay with Patroclus ("sanitized" in the western translations) and that's why he went apeshit murdering Hector, desecrated his body and basically went nuts. He wouldn't fight for Agamemnon for women, for money, for anything because he didn't like him and showed it by being catty, but once his boyfriend got killed, shit totally hit the fan and he started killing people left and right....

Let's see, wants fame/attention, in drag, catty, and motivated to fight when his best friend/lover gets killed but not for money or women, doesn't ever try to get with a girl despite being more or less in the girl's locker room at the all girl school and being best friends with all those girls = not just gay, but GAAAAAAAY!

You don't even want me to touch Alexander the Great....

The point, you can totally have gay heroes in literature. Greece did it and it didn't hurt them one bit. I imagine you could have a transperson as well if people would kindly take the stick out of their ass. Disney characters get turned into all sorts of things, the little mermaid grew legs, etc etc, it's almost easier to come up with an example that nothing magical happens. Furthermore, directly on Point: Mulan happened and the world didn't explode. Is it really so hard to imagine the same thing happening with a switch in that world?

I just don't know. Kids need someone to admire and look up to. That's sort of the real deal behind the whole "hero" stitck. Its a method for teaching kids values. Spiderman was "with great power comes great responsibility." I think we need heroes who also happen to be girls
Considering the likes of Catwoman and the X-men chicks (I refuse to call them women until their bodies are brought back in proportion), I don't think that's such a great idea.

Adds: realistically written and portrayed women heroes with good writing.... For this you have to actually think, which most writers today are far too lazy to do, and explore beyond, "Herp Derp, is really strong or has cool powers, yaaaaaaaay!" [sigh]

It isn't hard to do. Check out my sig, I'm doing it from the hip in my spare time.... I give you Capt. Irua, who has a main role and far more parts coming up.... And that's just the damn prologue.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:48:41 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: August 04, 2011, 09:21:10 am »

I think we need heroes who are straight, cis-gendered, able-bodied, conventionally attractive white dudes.

What, not going to start naming specific titles?

This is the point, and this is the problem.

... For a super-hero story with actual female heroes, I recommend Powers.

Have you read Runaways?

Not yet, but I can see that I need to work on that =)

I despise manga with a vengeance, Utena is not going to cover it.

Sorry, best I can do.  I'm sitting here rattling off stories from my childhood.

But wait... wait!

Ozma of Oz is trans.  That's right.  The princess from The Wizard of Oz.  She's also the first person I ever dressed up as for Halloween.

She might also be a lesbian... dunno on that front.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: August 04, 2011, 09:26:21 am »

I haven't read for entertainment in quite some time actually.... [sigh].

[appreciatively hugs Vector....] You're rather close to getting an incredibly loyal gay/trans BFF....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:34:45 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 04, 2011, 10:05:42 am »

Come to think of it (and with the examples, thanks for those, although I do not know Mulan (never seen it at least) (and we have a SHITload of Disney movies)), cross-dressing is pretty normal in a kid's life. Also, when dressed, you are that person. So a man dressed up as a lady is a lady. I even once saw that a (female) teacher dressed up as our version of Santa, in front of the kids, and everyone believed it really was Santa from then on.

I cross-dressed as a kid, it's just play, and my girl wants to marry both me and her mother. But when an ungendered Tinky Winky wears a purse the world is damned and the end is nigh...

And Oh hey look, my favourite trans author writes (well, wrote, it's kinda discontinued) superhero stuff as well! :) (yeah I'm plugging, sue me)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 04, 2011, 10:10:08 am »

And Oh hey look, my favourite trans author writes (well, wrote, it's kinda discontinued) superhero stuff as well! :) (yeah I'm plugging, sue me)
Careful with that expression when Truean is around ;)
Also, why would you want to keep tabs on the sexual preferences of a writer? It's not like that's going to change her books or anything?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: August 04, 2011, 10:13:50 am »

It isn't?

Funny, please tell that to all the dudes who are convinced that women can't write and all the folks who won't take on film projects directed by women.

For example, take The Mysterious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.  Not written by an autistic person.  It showed.  He simply didn't have that experience.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: August 04, 2011, 10:20:04 am »

Yeah I know we men keep fucking things up all the time, do you think I like being born as an oppressive, insensitive rapist? (edit: No that's not Poe's law in case you're wondering, I really hate my own gender) (yeah, I know, I shouldn't generalize and all that, but then how come if there's oppression somewhere it's always straight white men that are the main instigator?)

For example, take The Mysterious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.  Not written by an autistic person.  It showed.  He simply didn't have that experience.
Would the book itself have been different were it written by someone with Aspergers (ignoring for the moment that someone with aspergers would probably have written a different book)?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:46:14 am by Virex »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: August 04, 2011, 10:46:07 am »

It isn't?

Funny, please tell that to all the dudes who are convinced that women can't write and all the folks who won't take on film projects directed by women.

I keep telling them, but they start going off about some sexist shit I'd have to pay attention to in order to remember. Meh, I like to imagine I count as a woman and I certainly know how to write. :)

Come to think of it (and with the examples, thanks for those, although I do not know Mulan (never seen it at least) (and we have a SHITload of Disney movies)), cross-dressing is pretty normal in a kid's life. Also, when dressed, you are that person. So a man dressed up as a lady is a lady. I even once saw that a (female) teacher dressed up as our version of Santa, in front of the kids, and everyone believed it really was Santa from then on.

I cross-dressed as a kid, it's just play, and my girl wants to marry both me and her mother. But when an ungendered Tinky Winky wears a purse the world is damned and the end is nigh...

You have no idea how much I wanted to be a girl as a little kid. I cut the end off a pillow case and made myself a little makeshift skirt to wear as I slept at night..... My mom actually caught me in it but didn't put the pieces together. She thought I was cold and needed more blankets on my bed.... [crickets].

That's not awkward; that's not awkward at all....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:13:09 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 04, 2011, 12:11:25 pm »

Aww...

If anything, I'm afraid my girl is turning out too girly. And even if she does... well, it's hard not to have expectations of your child, especially if you've been raised with a lot of them. I never asked to be the golden child, and refused to be, and fucked up a (maybe) brighter future because I rebelled against it.

It's hard to let your child go, and set him or her free, don't blame your parents too much. They just did what they thought was right at the time (This is for more people than just Truean, btw).

Careful with that expression when Truean is around ;)
Also, why would you want to keep tabs on the sexual preferences of a writer? It's not like that's going to change her books or anything?
I mentioned her before when the discussion was actually about trans authors, and I had one to share, and now again. Also, I'm not careful when they're not. "Trans" is still acceptable, isn't it? Although it could mean both -sexual and -vestite, which are certainly different...

Fake-Edit: Ok I deleted some thoughts here because I clearly drank a bit and dont' want to be misunderstood again :)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: August 04, 2011, 12:34:02 pm »

It isn't?

Is this one of those, since other people are doing bad things it is a good thing for me to do them things? Or is it just a misdirection so you don't answer the question.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2651 on: August 04, 2011, 12:50:30 pm »

On transgendered superheroes...

I recall reading about one that was produced in either Argentina or Brazil, but I don't recall the name or details. IIRC the hero/heroine was some kind of mutant vampire who depended on a chemical that could only be harvested from other mutants (who had a tendency to go berserk). I don't know if that is enough info to find it, but I'll do some googling to see if I can find a source.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 04, 2011, 02:28:01 pm »

Careful with GG. Dude could possibly be trollin' given that he may well have been the straw that got the thread locked last time on P 168.

I've already discussed that with vector, and i am actually here for real conversation.

I haven't been on the computer since two days ago, I think, camp and what not.

Ancient Greece had all kinds of characters, many of whom were gay as hell. Didn't his mom try to hide Achilles by disguising him as a girl among the temple maidens before Troy
http://www.scribd.com/doc/21257028/Discussion-Questions-on-Edith-Hamilton%E2%80%99s-Mythology-Directions-Answer-Each-Question

Also Achilles didn't mind wearing dresses. Sure, they try to say his mom was behind this but he never tried to run away. He liked it and she was accepting him.... He got along VERY well as bestest friends with the girls and despite being a boy he never tried to make any advances on any of the maidens, not a one. Gee it's almost like a gay fitting right in with the girls.... He's basically in the girl's locker room at an all girl's school and NOT A DAMN THING HAPPENS! GAAAAY! He just kept putting on his pretty clothes day after day.... It's been argued he was good at fighting because his competition was too focused on being "macho" and Achillies didn't care about that as much as he cared about where his sword was. Sure, he wanted fame and the only kind of fame in his day was from fighting....

Then there is the fact the Achilles was totally gay with Patroclus ("sanitized" in the western translations) and that's why he went apeshit murdering Hector, desecrated his body and basically went nuts. He wouldn't fight for Agamemnon for women, for money, for anything because he didn't like him and showed it by being catty, but once his boyfriend got killed, shit totally hit the fan and he started killing people left and right....

Let's see, wants fame/attention,Doesn't everyone? in drag Hey, to each his own., catty There are a rare breed of guys who aren't douchebags, y'know., and motivated to fight when his best friend/lover gets killed but not for money or women Patroclus was most likely in an ancient form of what we call today a "bromance"., doesn't ever try to get with a girl despite being more or less in the girl's locker room at the all girl school and being best friends with all those girls = not just gay, but GAAAAAAAY! Heroes of ancient nations tend to be celibate.

I still accept your point, but Achilles was not gay at all. Sure, bro had some weird shit going on there, but still.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:31:43 pm by ggamer »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 04, 2011, 02:31:35 pm »

Case in point.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 04, 2011, 02:44:11 pm »

I still accept your point, but Achilles was not gay at all. Sure, bro had some weird shit going on there, but still.

Trying to impose modern Western notions of sexual orientation on people who were 1) living centuries or millennia-ago in a very different culture, and 2) fictional, is an exercise in futility. Sorry, but the ancient Greeks just didn't see sexuality the way people in the 21st-century Anglophone world do. Asking whether someone from that time and place was "gay" or "straight" is just plain silly, and odds are neither answer is a good fit.

EDIT: To be honest, I'm a little concerned at Truean's surprising conflation of non-normative gender-related behavior (a boy wearing woman's clothes, hanging out with women a lot, etc.) with homosexuality.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:48:30 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 852