Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854232 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2280 on: July 26, 2011, 03:49:15 pm »

I don't doubt that some people might choose to live like that.  On the other hand, since the system they're in fundamentally doesn't give them a choice we won't know if the people involved in it actually have.
I'm going to side on the optimistic edge and think that they do in fact have a choice.  There might be people so entrenched that getting out will cost them their lives, but pretty much anywhere I've been in the US there is a way out.
The question is, do those people know there is a way out, and do they have the wherewithal to throw everything they know away and jump into something totally unknown to do it?

There are battered women's shelters all over the country, domestic abuse counseling services all over the country, and yet there are thousands upon thousands of women who stay with abusive husbands/boyfriends/fathers rather than use those services.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: July 26, 2011, 03:52:35 pm »

Especially if your husband effectively has the "right" to rape you and tell you exactly what to say.  I don't think the fact that one can beat someone to the point where they're too scared to escape gives one the right to dominate them.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2282 on: July 26, 2011, 04:32:27 pm »

Yea. Look at it this way:

It is what you are made to be, it is the only thing you have ever known, you know that everyone else is a sinner and damned, you know that leaving is a sin and you will be damned, you know that speaking out is a sin and you will be damned, every support structure you have will try to keep you in your place. Even if you overcome all of that, your family, church, friends, everyone you know will turn their backs on you and cast you out without support, you will be completely alone and at the mercy of the sinful heathens.

That is what you have to overcome in order to get to the point that you can make a real choice. That doesn't even count the intimidation and fear that comes from the abuse that is encouraged as "discipline".

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: July 26, 2011, 04:33:04 pm »

Again, the options are out there... I don't know what you intend to do besides ship them all off to concentration camps for re-education.  One of the fundamental principles of this country is freedom of religious choice.  If they choose to leave that environment, by all means, support their struggle.  I'm just telling you, without witch hunts or some type of organized posse I don't know what you expect to happen besides one hell of a lash back from the religious freedom fundamentalists.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: July 26, 2011, 05:23:10 pm »

Again, the options are out there... I don't know what you intend to do besides ship them all off to concentration camps for re-education.  One of the fundamental principles of this country is freedom of religious choice.  If they choose to leave that environment, by all means, support their struggle.  I'm just telling you, without witch hunts or some type of organized posse I don't know what you expect to happen besides one hell of a lash back from the religious freedom fundamentalists.

You are right. There are options.
Suicide. Murder or close enough to it. The intervention of a concerned stranger.

You speak of options because you can conceive of the concept. If you are raised the way they are, and I was, you can not even form the thought that your faith is wrong. It would be blasphemy.

If more people know about this, there would be a lot more concerned strangers. That is what I intend to do about this.

You might want to read back in this thread. This is not the first time I have hit the topic of religion. And it counters what you seem to think I am saying.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: July 26, 2011, 05:34:23 pm »

My mom is a minister with heavily pentecostal roots (theologically), she wears her hair short, she wears pants, she drives on her own, works outside the house, used contraception (I am, in fact, an accident), and has a degree from a bible school. Apparently she does not exist. ???
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: July 26, 2011, 05:49:39 pm »

My mom is a minister with heavily pentecostal roots (theologically), she wears her hair short, she wears pants, she drives on her own, works outside the house, used contraception (I am, in fact, an accident), and has a degree from a bible school. Apparently she does not exist. ???

Not at all. There is no central authority that dictates what every church believes. You said your mothers church has pentecostal roots? Meaning it is an offshoot? How similar would you say her church is to other pentecostal churches? The few pentecostal churches I knew did treat women like that.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: July 26, 2011, 06:04:42 pm »

Not at all. There is no central authority that dictates what every church believes. You said your mothers church has pentecostal roots? Meaning it is an offshoot? How similar would you say her church is to other pentecostal churches? The few pentecostal churches I knew did treat women like that.
It's an offshoot, yes, and I have also known pentecostal churches that had rules like that. However, I've also seen pentecostal churches under the PAOC (Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada) that weren't as stringent.

Maybe it's just a Canada thing. Though, according to my family, the people who started the pentecostal movement in my area were two women who came up from Georgia when my Grandfather was still pretty young.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: July 26, 2011, 06:20:52 pm »

The ones I had experience with were in New York and Mississippi, never met any from Canada. So, dunno.

That is good news though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: July 26, 2011, 06:25:47 pm »

Trust me Wilfor, from what I've seen of the American Pentecostals, your mother would be declared a heretical sinner and shunned by the community at the least. It's different down here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: July 26, 2011, 07:00:14 pm »

This is exactly why brainwashing of children makes me so angry.  I've opened up on the religion issue a lot since I was a teenager (when I went through a staunch anti-religious phase), to the point that I find myself defending religious rights a lot more often than I criticize them.

But the way children's minds are thrown in cages while still developing, and the permanency of impact that has on the way a person is capable of thinking... it's truly horrifying to me.  I would actually go so far as to say that there should be legal restrictions on religious indoctrination of children, or perhaps it could be combated with mandatory multicultural religious education. 

Adults can choose to be a part of whatever culture they please.  A women who was raised in an intellectually healthy fashion can choose to put herself in an abusive situation, and that is her choice, so long as she understands that she has ways out.  But kids desperately need to be shown that there is a vast world apart from the culture and beliefs their parents raise them in.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: July 26, 2011, 07:10:38 pm »

You are right. There are options.
Suicide. Murder or close enough to it. The intervention of a concerned stranger.

You speak of options because you can conceive of the concept. If you are raised the way they are, and I was, you can not even form the thought that your faith is wrong. It would be blasphemy.
I'm sorry, but I have to point this out.

You got out.  According to all the rigamoral in this thread, nobody will ever be able to do it but you just proved that you can.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: July 26, 2011, 07:18:59 pm »

The republicans raised the debt ceiling 7 times under Bush. Why is the sky falling now? Just raise it again. No one batted an eye at the trillions we've spent on war, but SSI and food stamps are "too expensive...." [headdesk]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: July 26, 2011, 07:28:01 pm »

The republicans raised the debt ceiling 7 times under Bush. Why is the sky falling now? Just raise it again. No one batted an eye at the trillions we've spent on war, but SSI and food stamps are "too expensive...." [headdesk]
I'm not supporting the Republicans, but at some point in time you have to say, "Stop!"  Using the excuse that the previous person smashed the windows in the police car means you can too is rather obtuse.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:41:12 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 852