Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854302 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2205 on: July 25, 2011, 06:36:00 pm »

Found a tumblr called "Boobs don't work that way," which I can't link here due to ToS (naked breasts, albeit for an educational rather than titillating purpose).  If you're at home, though, it's a kind of interesting look at how female bodies are represented in media.

"Male Games for Male Gamers"

Couturiers

"Dogs and Smurfs"

I found all three of these essays/blog posts pretty fascinating, and recommend them highly.

The whole "men-only" thing of gaming in general annoys the hell out of me, but it's pretty much the attitude of most of my older friends, who are basically like-minded gamers. I wish it wasn't, because it just makes gamers look like a load of misogynistic nerds who can't get within 50 yards of a woman on the internet (figuratively speaking) without howling TITS OR GTFO. I fucking hate that attitude. Also applies to my D&D group.

Gah, have not played D&D since 3ed. Wow, I just majorly dated myself didn't I? :P Yeah this is also my experience though and sadly it applies to most online games as well, which.... WTF. The homophobic slurs abound (screw you spell check) and they aren't even used in the adjective/adverb since, but the directly derogatory name calling way. Strangely, I started playing LOTRO specifically because this kind of thing was notably lacking and happily so. Even with the switch to Free to Play, it hasn't been bad at all. For this and other reasons I highly recommend the game.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:37:44 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: July 25, 2011, 06:38:52 pm »

I'd actually like a few female players so it wasn't an all male player-all male character sausage fest of drinking, fighting and bad decisions. It's impossible to get a female NPC taken seriously. (although to be fair it's hard to get my players to take ANY NPC seriously.)
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: July 25, 2011, 06:42:19 pm »

"You must take a quest, to bring the Staff of Ages to the Tree of Knowledge at the end of the world, where death does not apply!"

"Heh heh, hey guys, I wonder what'd happen if we use fireball and frost on him at the same time?"

You mean like that? P:

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: July 25, 2011, 06:43:21 pm »

This is true, and the Belkar Bitterleaf OotS "run my precious chunks of XP" mode of thinking of NPCs is far too prevalent. That, and of course, the notion that if it can be smashed through it should be smashed through. There is a time and place but come on, that's kinda crap. There is bound to eventually be a reaction or a contingency plan for even high level characters breaking every damn thing otherwise what would be the point of anyone in the world doing anything. Everyone in a world with weapons abound and on everyone can't be so short sighted as to not plan for someone to knock heads/ruin their otherwise important plan? Can they? :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: July 25, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »

I've played D&D sessions where there were nothing but men, and on the other extreme, I've played a D&D session where I was the only man there. The latter is the only D&D game I've played in a real life setting. I must say, I enjoy playing with women more than I do men if I'm playing in a particularly gender-dominated session. I think the best games are where there is a healthy mix of the two, though.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2210 on: July 26, 2011, 12:02:27 am »

As if "Girl Exclusive" parties are rare, I have never known a boy exclusive party in my life, yet I've run into girl exclusive parties a ton of times.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: July 26, 2011, 12:06:31 am »

As if "Girl Exclusive" parties are rare, I have never known a boy exclusive party in my life, yet I've run into girl exclusive parties a ton of times.
A lan party? :P

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2212 on: July 26, 2011, 12:11:59 am »

A lan party? :P

No, but is it only wrong if it is guys having a lan party? With all the special rights girls have to gender specific hang-out/comfort/whatever girl parties(According to the TV and other media) It seems weird to curse a bunch of dudes like that.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: July 26, 2011, 12:25:04 am »

No, people are allowed to have whatever damn parties they please as long as it doesn't trash all over someone else.

On further gender specific issues regarding gaming - I've always said that the slavish attention that people give to their waifus on Mass Effect/Dragon Age and Oblivion games (mods to pretty much turn them into dating sims and Buddha knows what else) essentially turn those games into Twilight for males.

It's all about marketing to an audience.

Look at the androgynous characters in Japanese RPGs/action games, or burly space marine square-jawed dudes in western games. All successful games are guilty of this at some level.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2214 on: July 26, 2011, 12:30:26 am »

It's only natural for it to develop as such in a capitalistic free market model though. What majority of people want is what the majority get.

I'm going to ask my uncle to help me gather of list of the ways men are discriminated too, because it gets so tiring always hearing about the poor women and the evil men.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: July 26, 2011, 12:31:12 am »

My experience of girl-only parties is that they're spent discussing periods and trying on each other's underwear, or similar.  You know--private things usually involved in activities considered gender-specific.  Unless gaming is suddenly gender-specific, I don't think this applies.  Guys can get together in private and try on each other's underwear and clothing as much as they want.  I really don't care.

They are not large, public events to which men are refused entry because the women couldn't stop acting hostile towards them for five minutes.

The only large, public "parties" I have ever heard of men being refused from were feminist rallies, which then stopped that tactic because it was transphobic and cruel, and there were often issues with butch lesbians.

But please, go on.

I'm going to ask my uncle to help me gather of list of the ways men are discriminated too, because it gets so tiring always hearing about the poor women and the evil men.

Men's Rights Activism forums might be able to help you out with that a little.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2216 on: July 26, 2011, 12:43:49 am »

Yeah but my uncle actually has a good grasp of it and follows the news, it's like picking between a library and wikipedia for me.

But an example I feel sort of similar, at Discotheques/Clubs here it's common for girls to have free entry and get huge discounts on drinks or free drinks, while guys pay extra expensive prices for everything.

And also, at my uncles job they had just finished a big project that went really well, and all the girls made a party to celebrate their successful project, only, it was just for the girls on the project.

And these are two on top of my head. I'm also not interested in "Men's Rights Activism" I'm interested in Equal rights, there shouldn't have to be two camps vying for a spotlight it should be really clear and obvious that both genders need the same rights.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:43 am »

It's only natural for it to develop as such in a capitalistic free market model though. What majority of people want is what the majority get.
Which is in my humble opinion, shit. Both what the majority wants and free market capitalism. I have long stopped being a fan of completely free markets a long time ago. Because rampant child prostitution, slaves/indentured servitude, and human trafficking are all welcome as part of the "free market". You know what? A bit of regulation can do the world a lot of good.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2218 on: July 26, 2011, 12:49:31 am »

Which is in my humble opinion, shit. Both what the majority wants and free market capitalism. I have long stopped being a fan of completely free markets a long time ago. Because rampant child prostitution, slaves/indentured servitude, and human trafficking are all welcome as part of the "free market". You know what? A bit of regulation can do the world a lot of good.

I agree 100% with you, I'm sort of a closet Leninist.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: July 26, 2011, 12:58:40 am »

Just to make it clear, the article was referring to issues in the United States, where this sort of "men's only" club is still surprisingly common, and "women's only" clubs/spaces fairly rare.

I would not be surprised at all if the issue were balanced the other way in Denmark (and other Scandinavian countries), though.  The US is kind of backwards for a developed country in its treatment of women.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 852