Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854419 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2190 on: July 25, 2011, 01:40:30 pm »

Under Citizens United as precedent you can bribe "contribute to" any politician you want. So somehow I think that portion of it will be fine. I can't believe I'm siding with John McCain, but his campaign finance reforms were actually respectable and intelligent ideas until the US Supreme Court overturned them.

However, procedure is pretty big in law, if they actually did skip a step in the legislative process then that could be a problem if it is an essential one or one that cannot be waived etc etc.

It is possible they could stir up a technicality, but given that no one in NY state who really matters for the bill would be up for reelection soon, they could just pass it again.

Simply, no, I don't think it would go anywhere as a legal challenge but then again I'm unfamiliar with NY State's individual laws on legislative procedure. Possible though.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2191 on: July 25, 2011, 01:48:56 pm »

Citizens United not only ensured the right of corporations to donate without limit, but to do so anonymously.

Does this investigation into the campaign contributions in order to stamp out gay marriage run counter to that?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: July 25, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »

Of all the unanticipated questions that would come from that case :P.

I think it would, however I'm pretty sure the donors were not anonymous in this case. The BS argument is that the legislature was biased by the campaign contributions. :)

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: July 25, 2011, 03:23:16 pm »

All the more reason to make marriage a non-issue with government bodies.  If there's no benefit to "marriage" this wouldn't be an issue.  All the benefits afforded the married could be applied for individually by anyone, for anyone.  If someone wanted to make their college roommate a "trusted confidant" they should be able to.  But be aware that they could have legal rights to pull your plug if you get into a serious accident.  Little "side laws" like that could invalidate marriage as a government issue altogether.

I don't see any reason why governments need to regulate/approve/cater to marriage.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: July 25, 2011, 03:50:37 pm »

All the more reason to make marriage a non-issue with government bodies.

No, it's not. The fact that people will lobby for certain legislation has nothing to do with whether or not something is the government's business to begin with.

If someone wanted to make their college roommate a "trusted confidant" they should be able to.  But be aware that they could have legal rights to pull your plug if you get into a serious accident.  Little "side laws" like that could invalidate marriage as a government issue altogether.

I don't see any reason why governments need to regulate/approve/cater to marriage.

I would agree in light of your type of suggestion, but whether you like it or not, marriage is still a very relevant cultural institution. Being someone's legal spouse is nearly as important to people socially as being someone's child or parent, and in that sense, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon just yet and say that there's no need for it to be a distinct institution.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: July 25, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »

No, it's not. The fact that people will lobby for certain legislation has nothing to do with whether or not something is the government's business to begin with.

If someone wanted to make their college roommate a "trusted confidant" they should be able to.  But be aware that they could have legal rights to pull your plug if you get into a serious accident.  Little "side laws" like that could invalidate marriage as a government issue altogether.

I would agree in light of your type of suggestion, but whether you like it or not, marriage is still a very relevant cultural institution. Being someone's legal spouse is nearly as important to people socially as being someone's child or parent, and in that sense, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon just yet and say that there's no need for it to be a distinct institution.
I'd actually argue that it's a Constitutional violation.  It's establishes support for a specific religion's ceremony.  Why isn't Polygamy accepted as well?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: July 25, 2011, 04:05:20 pm »

I'd actually argue that it's a Constitutional violation.  It's establishes support for a specific religion's ceremony.  Why isn't Polygamy accepted as well?
Marriage has not been religious in nature in the west for a long time now. It has long since been part of the state, and it is only continuing to become more of a function of the state than any particular religion. If you're buying into the propaganda campaign that says otherwise, then, well, you're living under the influence of delusions.

Before someone contradicts what I'm saying: You can have a ceremony to become married at a church, but unless you file papers with the government, and have a license, you are not married in the eyes of the law. The church has been functionally castrated as the source of marriage for a good long while, now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:11:14 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: July 25, 2011, 04:11:44 pm »

Actually, I know that at least at one time, in some regions of Alabama and Georgia, if you declare yourselves married and are of age, then you are legally considered married.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: July 25, 2011, 04:21:55 pm »

Actually, I know that at least at one time, in some regions of Alabama and Georgia, if you declare yourselves married and are of age, then you are legally considered married.
See, generally, people don't look to Alabama and Georgia as the source of the current American mainstream laws. They look to these regions as holdfasts of backwards, and ancient laws. I'm fairly certain that what I said applies to 95% of the US of A. Which, in my opinion, is a good enough percentage to make a statement about.

The European trend toward state-sanctioned marriage predates the colonization of America, so it's not like this is a ~new thing~ by any stretch of the imagination.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: July 25, 2011, 04:46:49 pm »

Marriage has not been religious in nature in the west for a long time now. It has long since been part of the state, and it is only continuing to become more of a function of the state than any particular religion. If you're buying into the propaganda campaign that says otherwise, then, well, you're living under the influence of delusions.

Before someone contradicts what I'm saying: You can have a ceremony to become married at a church, but unless you file papers with the government, and have a license, you are not married in the eyes of the law. The church has been functionally castrated as the source of marriage for a good long while, now.

The California civil union law actually allows pseudo-polygamy. You can be in both a civil union and a marriage if you enter the civil union first.

Edit: if I recall correctly (its been a while since I read this so please contradict me if you have sources) the official polygamy banning laws in the US were put out as a way of pushing out the radical new violent and militant cult known as the Mormon church.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:53:53 pm by Nadaka »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: July 25, 2011, 05:09:30 pm »

Edit: if I recall correctly (its been a while since I read this so please contradict me if you have sources) the official polygamy banning laws in the US were put out as a way of pushing out the radical new violent and militant cult known as the Mormon church.
That is what I have heard on the matter as well.

The only reason there is no reply to the rest is because I am unsure if you're trying to build off of what I was saying, or arguing against it. I'm thinking it's the former, but I have been wrong about these things before.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: July 25, 2011, 05:17:26 pm »

Doh! In an attempt to avoid a quote pyramid. I edited out the guy you quoted that mentioned polygamy.

I actually don't think I was trying to do either. In fact, I am trying to figure out why I quoted you and not Andir anyway?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: July 25, 2011, 05:42:01 pm »

Found a tumblr called "Boobs don't work that way," which I can't link here due to ToS (naked breasts, albeit for an educational rather than titillating purpose).  If you're at home, though, it's a kind of interesting look at how female bodies are represented in media.

"Male Games for Male Gamers"

Couturiers

"Dogs and Smurfs"

I found all three of these essays/blog posts pretty fascinating, and recommend them highly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: July 25, 2011, 06:15:13 pm »

Found a tumblr called "Boobs don't work that way," which I can't link here due to ToS (naked breasts, albeit for an educational rather than titillating purpose).  If you're at home, though, it's a kind of interesting look at how female bodies are represented in media.

Couturiers

"Dogs and Smurfs"

I found all three of these essays/blog posts pretty fascinating, and recommend them highly.

Kudos on the articles. I also remember an article saying the original Lara Croft Tomb Raider model's breast size was actually a programming glitch making them 1.5 times as large as intended. This basically makes it so there is an obvious draw for teenage/young male gamers.   So rather than be one of gaming's empowering female characters she instantly went from that to sex symbol. Super-athletic, fearless, skilled, smart and rich with big boobs..... [sigh].

That combined with the camera angle zoom in feature pretty much always going to her chest sealed her fate. Rather than join the ranks of Samus (whose gender was hidden until the end or if you knew the NES code), Lara Croft joined... other ranks.

Please don't quote me.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: July 25, 2011, 06:18:12 pm »

Couturiers

"Dogs and Smurfs"

The whole "men-only" thing of gaming in general annoys the hell out of me, but it's pretty much the attitude of most of my older friends, who are basically like-minded gamers. I wish it wasn't, because it just makes gamers look like a load of misogynistic nerds who can't get within 50 yards of a woman on the internet (figuratively speaking) without howling TITS OR GTFO. I fucking hate that attitude. Also applies to my D&D group.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 852