Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854771 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2100 on: July 23, 2011, 08:57:35 am »

Also carry the stereotypes of being suspiciously obsessed with male homosexuality and generally arguing ad homeneim.

Hey, the poor guys don't have any rationality to use, don't begrudge them the only ammunition they've got!
The occasionally chuck the bible in there, or some shit about natural law which they generally don't understand too well anyway.

Consider that the age group of most internet lego players.
Don't argue with them, you could be giving them more opportunities to prove themselves correct in their minds.
State your case, don't indulge people who are going to bicker you.
If you want to truly change their mind, less is more.
Thank you based dwarf.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 23, 2011, 08:59:28 am »

Also carry the stereotypes of being suspiciously obsessed with male homosexuality and generally arguing ad homeneim.

Hey, the poor guys don't have any rationality to use, don't begrudge them the only ammunition they've got!
The occasionally chuck the bible in there, or some shit about natural law which they generally don't understand too well anyway.

Consider that the age group of most internet lego players.
Don't argue with them, you could be giving them more opportunities to prove themselves correct in their minds.
State your case, don't indulge people who are going to bicker you.
If you want to truly change their mind, less is more.

I am terrible at not arguing on the internet :<
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 23, 2011, 09:02:38 am »

You know apparently Giraffes are the mammals most likely to become homosexual?

This is incredibly amusing for some reason.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 23, 2011, 09:21:41 am »

Giraffe males rape the loser after a fight to establish domination. I'm not sure if we want to count that as actual homosexuality ;)

Also, an acquaintance linked this to me. I found no source, but it's interesting none the less.
And also positive, for once.
Love, scriver~

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 23, 2011, 09:24:44 am »

Giraffe males rape the loser after a fight to establish domination. I'm not sure if we want to count that as actual homosexuality ;)
I meant, like, mating. Not the sexual kind, though I'm sure that's part of it.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 23, 2011, 09:29:13 am »

Also, an acquaintance linked this to me. I found no source, but it's interesting none the less.
And also positive, for once.

" Themarysue.com: A guide to girl geek culture" is a fine reputable journal, that I site in most of my archeology papers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:34:47 am by PsyberianHusky »
Thank you based dwarf.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 23, 2011, 09:53:59 am »

Original article is from USA Today, but I have no knowledge of whether or not that is a reputable paper. Research was done by the "Centre for Medieval and Early Modern Studies" of University of Western Australia, however, and seemingly published in something called Early Medieval Europe.

Can't read the article, so I have no idea what kind of article it is and how truthful it might be.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 23, 2011, 12:29:02 pm »

Originally, the researchers who have been studying Viking society mis-identified the remains of the settlers as male because they were often buried with swords and shields. Finally sorting them by their bones, instead, it was recently discovered that approximately half of the remains were female.

GOOD JOB GUYS

And not only does this discovery prove that there were a lot more female Vikings than previously thought, but researchers are also theorizing that the whole “rape/pillage/war” thing that Vikings are stereotyped for has also been exaggerated.

Slightly less good job.  If you've got evidence for rape/pillage/war, having women around with their swords and shields does not mean that the colonists were just there to make babies.  It could, in fact, mean that women were raping, pillaging, and warring.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 23, 2011, 02:30:17 pm »

Because clearly one's gender alone determine's one's motivation.... ???

What on earth would they do with me? :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 23, 2011, 02:55:22 pm »

Originally, the researchers who have been studying Viking society mis-identified the remains of the settlers as male because they were often buried with swords and shields. Finally sorting them by their bones, instead, it was recently discovered that approximately half of the remains were female.

GOOD JOB GUYS

And not only does this discovery prove that there were a lot more female Vikings than previously thought, but researchers are also theorizing that the whole “rape/pillage/war” thing that Vikings are stereotyped for has also been exaggerated.

Slightly less good job.  If you've got evidence for rape/pillage/war, having women around with their swords and shields does not mean that the colonists were just there to make babies.  It could, in fact, mean that women were raping, pillaging, and warring.
Vikings now more badass if that's true. Fuck gender roles got a village to burn.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 23, 2011, 03:00:57 pm »

Actually it doesn't mean they were fighting in the line. It means women were buried with swords and shields as well as men. Furthermore she may have never touched the sword she was buried with her whole life and it was just a funeral gift, or maybe she used it to chop carrots. Further evidence is required before we go assuming viking women were out raping the English countryside.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 23, 2011, 03:03:52 pm »

Actually it doesn't mean they were fighting in the line. It means women were buried with swords and shields as well as men. Furthermore she may have never touched the sword she was buried with her whole life and it was just a funeral gift, or maybe she used it to chop carrots. Further evidence is required before we go assuming viking women were out raping the English countryside.
Absolutely.

The image is still cool though.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 23, 2011, 03:09:42 pm »

I dunno, getting raped by a Viking woman sounds like something I'd not enjoy.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 23, 2011, 03:10:17 pm »

Yep, that's about it. Because some white people are racists, suddenly all white people can't use the N word. Fuck that.
How could you pick up on the one statement I made that's completely irrelevant to this point?  I'm impressed.  It allows you to skip all the points I and everyone else made explaining to you what the difference between a black person saying the N word and a white person saying the N word is.
Yeah, one is degenerating (because the guy saying it is white, for some invisible reason) and the other is "reclaiming" (because the guy saying it is black, or it's self-deprecating (even though he's also deprecating all other black people)). It's Logical, Nor Fair, and even worse, by extension, telling me I can't say the N word is fucking racist. Excuse my english.

It's got nothing to do with "because some white people are racists" and noone suggested that (as far as I tell you're concocting that to paint your opponents as overgeneralizers).  The fact is that the N word is inherently offensive to black people, and if you say it outside of inverted commas you will be seen as being offensive because you're implying that black people are beneath you.  I don't see why you're having so much difficulty processing that.
Untrue, a lot of black people can say it outside of inverted commas. That's my difficulty. Either everyone can say it, or noone.
By reclaiming it, they reclaimed it, for all fucking mankind.

Also, since I'm a GLBTH, some consideration, please.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 23, 2011, 03:18:49 pm »

Further evidence also required before we assume their purpose was baby-makin'.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 852