Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855014 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2085 on: July 22, 2011, 10:04:08 pm »

If a black man uses the word 'nigger', in most contexts, it isn't a man using the word 'nigger' that is relevant. It's a man using a word that traditionally denigrates himself, which everyone is free to do, regardless of race, ethnicity, or other social grouping. If a white man uses that particular word, it's a man using a word that traditionally denigrates others, which is the problem. The specific word isn't actually the problem, it's what that word means in context that is. In much the same way that a punch isn't a problem if, say, a punching bag is on the other end, but is one if a face is.

Also, I apologize for the gender bias in this post >_____>

I had the most ridiculous argument with a friend about this as it relates to homosexuality last week. I cannot get him to understand why being homophobic is not okay even if you say it's a joke. End result, we're not friends anymore, and he was my oldest friend.

I'd never been so angry before in my life.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: July 22, 2011, 10:06:12 pm »

Men who want equal rights are usually called either

a. feminists (progressives)--they are advocating the rights of women, and, usually, men in the spaces where things are unequal

or

b. Men's Rights Advocates (the counterpart to the "women are bettar!" breed of feminists)--they are advocating the rights of men, usually to the detriment of women.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 22, 2011, 10:07:53 pm »

Mostly because men, as a category (NOT as in all individuals, mind), don't need campaigning for them. Typically, someone fighting for equality will be fighting on the side of women, at least as the situation stands, and while the terminology might need some updating to better reflect equality, it does accurately represent the general qualities of the group's current activities.

Also, it's almost inevitable that somebody would complain about how <whatever else you'd call them> aren't fighting for men's rights as much as women's, and are therefore sexist and hypocritical. Or something to that effect, anyway. So mostly, I think, practical reasons, although feel free to correct me, someone more well-acquainted with the literature.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 22, 2011, 10:08:17 pm »

"White people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcom X."

The whole thing is a play on Wayne Brady's wholesome celebrity image.  He even hosts one of my Sesame Street DVDs.  So they have him act out every violent/vulgar racist stereotype and get away with it, because he's Wayne Brady and nobody would believe it.  None of the acts themselves are supposed to be funny, only the fact that it's Wayne Brady going waaaaay out of character in a heavily lampshaded fashion.

Well, that's why I wished people paid more attention to the link I posted a few days ago.

Dave Chappelle walked away from his ridiculously successful show even after getting a $50 million contract from Comedy Central because he discovered that his brand of humour (including the wayne brady skit) led to black people getting laughed at, rather than laughed with at the racist societal norms that don't make sense from a compassionate humanist perspective. Dave didn't want to reinforce racism and therefore bowed out in a manner that left many wondering "Is Dave Chappelle crazy?" If anything, he's the most human of the "entertainers".

Dave Chappelle explaining himself - the entire thing is worth watching - part 1.

Now, enter this young lady who does the same sort of thing for women on youtube.

EDIT: ninjas

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 22, 2011, 10:11:10 pm »

I think that if you expect others not to use a word you should stop using it yourself. Otherwise you're encouraging the habit.

Besides, given that they are often rude words, their use in polite soxiety should be discouraged altogether
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:55 pm »

Again, reclaiming language vs. using it for its typical destructive purpose.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 22, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »

I think that if you expect others not to use a word you should stop using it yourself. Otherwise you're encouraging the habit.

Besides, given that they are often rude words, their use in polite soxiety should be discouraged altogether

That's true. I try my best not to use disparaging comments when describing my sexuality, but to actively insult someone and claim that you didn't mean it and therefore have the right to do so, that's messed up.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: July 22, 2011, 10:19:40 pm »

Dave Chappelle walked away from his ridiculously successful show even after getting a $50 million contract from Comedy Central because he discovered that his brand of humour (including the wayne brady skit) led to black people getting laughed at, rather than laughed with at the racist societal norms that don't make sense from a compassionate humanist perspective.

Well, that's sad.  I wasn't a huge fan or anything, but I got his intentions and found some of his better known skits hilarious.  It sucks that our society isn't mature enough (at least that seems to be what you're describing).

Might have more to say after I watch the links.  Not currently able :(
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29:17 pm »

As long as we're on this language topic: During the US Civil Rights movement, this was a big deal -

Not only were African Americans treated in a sub-human manner, but the "I am a man" rallying cry came from the fact that whites referred to black males as "boy", no matter their age, as a way to put them in their place.

http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/enc_memphis_sanitation_workers_strike_1968/

Fast forward to the present, where good friends will say "What's up, man?" and drop "man" or "bro" in colloquial discussions between friends - the referring to each other as "man" evolved from the language black men used with each other during the civil rights struggle to establish and acknowledge their equal manhood and respect with one another. This was adopted by all the "cool kids". ;)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 22, 2011, 10:33:18 pm »

Yups, I love how it scares the shit out of the bigots so much that they have to have tanks and guns with fixed bayonets to even begin to feel "secure" against unarmed peaceful protesters....

That about says everything doesn't it...?

I could care less if it makes someone in the majority "uncomfortable" or "inconvenienced." Screw them. Part of me hopes they feel incredibly uncomfortable, like I have my whole life.... History has shown, repeatedly, what it takes to make these people feel "comfortable." They aren't entitled to that....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:21:58 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 22, 2011, 11:48:39 pm »

I'm raeging at the damn Tea Party for being so stuck in their idiotic dogma that they're actually willing to destroy the country's finances and probably put the recession on steroids just to prove a point to their stupid redneck supporters. And I thought I was cynical enough not to get mad at American politics anymore.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 22, 2011, 11:58:58 pm »

Dave Chappelle walked away from his ridiculously successful show even after getting a $50 million contract from Comedy Central because he discovered that his brand of humour (including the wayne brady skit) led to black people getting laughed at, rather than laughed with at the racist societal norms that don't make sense from a compassionate humanist perspective.

Well, that's sad.  I wasn't a huge fan or anything, but I got his intentions and found some of his better known skits hilarious.  It sucks that our society isn't mature enough (at least that seems to be what you're describing).

Might have more to say after I watch the links.  Not currently able :(
It's very admiral that he has that kind of integrity, I find alot of good comedians fit my expectations of what a good person should be.
Thank you based dwarf.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 23, 2011, 08:32:48 am »

Mad at myself for being dumb enough to post in the offtopic board on the Minecraft Forum, specifically in a thread about homophobia and such discrimination. Interesting portrayal of a community where, according to the polls, most are tolerant of homosexuality, and most think that they are still discriminated and deserve the right to marry, but the actual thread is ridden with the most disgusting bigots and homophobes. Small but vocal minority making the hate problem seem a lot bigger. Also carry the stereotypes of being suspiciously obsessed with male homosexuality and generally arguing ad homeneim.

OH WHAT FUN I'VE HAD.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 23, 2011, 08:48:10 am »

Also carry the stereotypes of being suspiciously obsessed with male homosexuality and generally arguing ad homeneim.

Hey, the poor guys don't have any rationality to use, don't begrudge them the only ammunition they've got!
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 23, 2011, 08:50:24 am »

Also carry the stereotypes of being suspiciously obsessed with male homosexuality and generally arguing ad homeneim.

Hey, the poor guys don't have any rationality to use, don't begrudge them the only ammunition they've got!
The occasionally chuck the bible in there, or some shit about natural law which they generally don't understand too well anyway.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 852