Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854586 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1965 on: July 21, 2011, 11:03:03 pm »

Re: sonerohi

I think religion (as in the social phenomena) implies by definition accepting an external set of rules. Otherwise we would be talking about something else entirely (a combination of deism and following one's own moral compass, or somesuch)

I also think that, in practice, even the most orthodox believer has his own spin on his faith
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 21, 2011, 11:26:23 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-sources-panetta-ok-end-military-gay-ban-224823254.html

The comments piss me off. Posters leaving hate filled shit is wonderful.... Funny how some of them call Iran "civilized" for hanging gays but then claim we should invade it....

Seriously, it is sad that people are this bigoted. Why does anyone give a flying crap who I'm with as long as its two consenting adults. It doesn't concern them one bit. Also, I just can't be with a woman. Some days you just wish you could indiscriminately shoot people and get away with it and say something like "stay still or the bullets might miss...." [sigh].
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:32:32 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:49 pm »

I honestly think religion is an inherent part of the human condition, for the post part people do not wake up an say "I am going to chose a region so I can be intolerant." I firmly believe that religion is a valid method of rationalizing things, and people should be allowed to believe whatever they want.

I think mostly people here are talking about when religion is used to attempt to rationalize things that are mostly considered irrational.

Well it is irrational to those who have a different belief system, but from a devout person's perspective it will seem rational.

As long as religious organizations are doing nothing illegal I see no problems with them.
Thank you based dwarf.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 21, 2011, 11:33:56 pm »

I honestly think religion is an inherent part of the human condition, for the post part people do not wake up an say "I am going to chose a region so I can be intolerant." I firmly believe that religion is a valid method of rationalizing things, and people should be allowed to believe whatever they want.

I think mostly people here are talking about when religion is used to attempt to rationalize things that are mostly considered irrational.

Well it is irrational to those who have a different belief system, but from a devout person's perspective it will seem rational.

As long as religious organizations are doing nothing illegal I see no problems with them.

Alright. Every spring, we have a festival in my town called the Apple Festival. During this, there is always this devoutly religious guy who's the head of some church, and he hangs around the festival all day holding up various signs promoting hatred towards the LGBT crowd. If he sees someone holding hands, kissing, etc etc the same gender, he goes up and gives them a lecture while holding his signs ever closer to their faces. During all of this he has a cameraman that records all of the times that people react negatively to him because of it so he can put the videos up on his website as an "example" of why homosexuals and bisexuals and transsexuals are hateful, awful people, with appropriate description.

Once this got brought to the local court and they ruled it not illegal, not a hate crime and so on.

This is perfectly rational to this man, and he rationalizes it to himself and others using his religion. His followers support him doing all this. None of this has been ruled illegal.

Do you still see no problems with this? Not the legal part, but the rationalization and doing part.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:36:27 pm by freeformschooler »

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:48 pm »

If you do have laws that speech inciting people to certain behaviors is illegal to produce or distribute, there's not a lot of logical basis for exempting Judeo-Christian religious texts. They contain tons of incitement to violence - not talking about the arguable influence they have on Christian or Muslim conquests and forced conversions and so on, but about good old Leviticus and its numerous admonitions to kill people who do various things that we would consider normal, acceptable behavior.

If the law says the speech can't be produced or distributed, then you have to ban the Bible. If it just says the person distributing it should be fined, you're now punishing every church and synagogue and any bookstore that wants to sell it.

There are plenty of other reductio ad absurdum arguments against banning speech of any kind - because it gets real hard to draw consistent, fully logical distinctions between a person or group calling for violence and an ancient document which people still revere, doing the same. You can argue that Christians don't believe in most of those commands and even Orthodox Jews have religious reasons not to follow them at the present time, but then you also have to exempt any existing anti-incitement laws if, say, somebody is loudly calling for violence and has followers who openly agree with him but don't commit any violent crimes.

There probably are cases where speech can legitimately be made illegal and punished - shouting "fire" in a crowded building is the classic example - but you have to draw the line somewhere, and if you draw it around "incitement to violence" then you have to include the Bible.

Not to mention politicians whipping people up into a nationalist fervor in order to gain support for a war is also incitement to violence.

On negative features of religion...the thing is, a lot of these things that us enlightened progressives consider bad features of religion are not things that most participants in religion find objectionable, aside from people coerced into it in one way or another. Yes you have cult-like communities of fundamentalist Mormons or Ultra-Orthodox Jews that people don't really have the option to leave, but most religions don't force people to conform to them other than by the usual social pressures that groups place on people. And plenty, if not most, participants think those things are OK, which is why they participate. We may think that taking dogmatic beliefs as the absolute truth from authority figures is awful, but some people are happy to have their worldviews shaped that way. We may think it's awful that some religions pressure women to do nothing but stay at home and make babies, but it's only awful if the women in question do not want to do that. And the fact that we think it's better for women to be liberated doesn't give us the ability to know better than a particular woman what she wants. Anyway, whatever problems there are with religion, society should treat religious groups the same way it treats everybody else: make laws against things that we deem to be sufficiently large intrusions on another person's rights, and apply them regardless of who breaks them, and that's it. People who want to influence other people's behavior have plenty of avenues to try and do that without legal coercion such as banning speech or banning certain belief systems.

@freeformschooler: I see problems with it, but I don't see a problem with it being legal.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 21, 2011, 11:49:43 pm »

Once this got brought to the local court and they ruled it not illegal, not a hate crime and so on.

Sounds like hardcore defamation to me.  Should be easy to challenge in court, if the court isn't corrupt.  He can say whatever he wants about gay people, but using their images to deliberately manufacture and promote lies about them is definitely illegal.  It is directly and intentionally harmful to specific people.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:56 pm »

Is the law always just?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 21, 2011, 11:53:12 pm »

Is the law always just?

Most certainly not and for some reason people think they have to agree with it and it has to agree with them. Frankly, no.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: July 21, 2011, 11:54:05 pm »

Is the law always just?

Well the law is never just for all, because I don't think what justice is can be agreed upon.
The best we can get is "Agreed upon as acceptable"
Thank you based dwarf.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 21, 2011, 11:55:20 pm »

Right.

Perhaps you would like to base your own moral compass on something other than the admittedly flawed justice system, then.  "I don't care as long as they aren't breaking the law" sounds silly to me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: July 21, 2011, 11:55:41 pm »

I've always had a very very hard time seeing "justice" as anything but a nice word for "institutionalized revenge"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: July 22, 2011, 12:02:21 am »

I've always had a very very hard time seeing "justice" as anything but a nice word for "institutionalized revenge"
That implies that there's something wrong with that.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: July 22, 2011, 12:03:50 am »

Right.

Perhaps you would like to base your own moral compass on something other than the admittedly flawed justice system, then.  "I don't care as long as they aren't breaking the law" sounds silly to me.
Well what should I base my moral compass on?
My moral compass says I want what is the best for as many people as possible, and I see our current system as an ends to the means.
Thank you based dwarf.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: July 22, 2011, 12:05:57 am »

My moral compass says I want what is the best for as many people as possible, and I see our current system as an ends to the means.

Forgive me for asking this, but which country do you live in?

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 22, 2011, 12:06:59 am »

Forgive me for asking this, but which country do you live in?
The States, I should have stated that.
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 852