Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854885 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1815 on: July 19, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »

Just curious, Vector.  You've brought up various fetishes a few times.  How far would you go in actually saying that there's something wrong with this?  Won't any arousal be based on qualities that are completely up to personal interpretation?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: July 19, 2011, 09:40:00 pm »

Just curious, Vector.  You've brought up various fetishes a few times.  How far would you go in actually saying that there's something wrong with this?  Won't any arousal be based on qualities that are completely up to personal interpretation?

What, the white panty thing?

Oh, I'm not trying to say something's wrong with it at all!  I just think it's interesting that that particular fetish overwhelms strongly stated sexual orientation.  It's kind of a derail.

I think some fetishes can be problematic (like an actual rape fetish, one which is not indulged with the consent to engage in a rape fantasy), but otherwise I don't really care.  Of course, I'm talking about fetishes as something one doesn't attempt to press on everyone else to an unduly degree.  Requiring an entire group to conform to one's personal expectations of sexual attraction just seems cruel.

Oh god a book written according to that article would be so full of clichés and bad tropes that My Immortal would pale in comparison. A random, just-like-us protagonist that somehow has special powers, who can only become what she wants through hard work and diligence? I'm just waiting for a big Aesop to drop from the skies (in addition to the one that's staring me in the face that is).

The Color Purple was a pretty good book, really.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: July 19, 2011, 10:21:13 pm »

What, the white panty thing?

Oh, I'm not trying to say something's wrong with it at all!  I just think it's interesting that that particular fetish overwhelms strongly stated sexual orientation.  It's kind of a derail.

Ok.  I wasn't sure if you were presenting these things as something negative or not.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 19, 2011, 10:30:50 pm »

I still haven't been able to accept my own tendencies towards fetishism, mostly because I've spent so long of my life being adamantly straight-laced and desperately trying to be So Totally Normal.  Now I find out that I seem to have developed all kinds of bizarre attractions, and I don't know what to do about them, really.  Some of them are fetishes about being adamantly straight-laced... I don't even like people like that, personality-wise, I'm just attracted to them =/

So yeah, that's not "official Vector policy/opinion."  That's something I'm trying to work out for myself, and I fear it's tingeing my words more than it should.

EDIT: For a great essay on this, you should read "Thinking Sex" by Gayle Rubin.  It has some extremely controversial parts, but I found most of it fascinating and quite tolerable.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 19, 2011, 10:33:22 pm »

Damn, I wish I had time to read as many books as most of you guys do.

Edit:  Although, I could probably read tons of e-books while at work, if I wasn't spending so much time on this forum  :p
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:35:50 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 19, 2011, 10:37:12 pm »

Well, it's 20 pages long or so and easily findable online (probably even through Googlebooks or somesuch), so if you've got time, take a little look =)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 19, 2011, 10:38:02 pm »

Really I think it's terrible to try and force yourself to be "Normal"... I fell into that hole and it nearly fucking broke me. It's really better to come to terms with how you feel about things and how you feel about well... Anything.

Everyone has quirks. It's what makes us human.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 19, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »

Yeah, I started learning about that a few years ago--similarly, it basically smashed me like so many tons of bricks.  Just took some time to get past the bigger identity problems, so now I can cook the smaller ones =)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 19, 2011, 10:43:02 pm »

I find the smaller ones go good with sour cream. .3c
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 20, 2011, 12:07:27 am »

Really I think it's terrible to try and force yourself to be "Normal"... I fell into that hole and it nearly fucking broke me. It's really better to come to terms with how you feel about things and how you feel about well... Anything.

Everyone has quirks. It's what makes us human.
I know this is stupid, and I'm an extremely shallow person for doing so, or maybe just crazy secretive about my hobbies, but, I feel like I need to act "normal"
(within bounds, I can't really be "normal" in this town as I'm an atheist and have never enunciated the N word) to feel good in social situations. Bay12, DF, all
this lovely online stuff, nobody knows that I do this. And I work really hard to keep it that way by being very secretive about it. I don't know why, it's just a
sort of reaction. Is this bad?(the answer:probably!)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: July 20, 2011, 12:24:35 am »

I greatly enjoyed this little article on Harry Potter.

Hopefully you will, too.

I don't quite get it. I'm not sure what I'm missing, either, because I'm not sure what it is that I'm not missing. Spark notes, please?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 20, 2011, 12:42:07 am »

I don't quite get it. I'm not sure what I'm missing, either, because I'm not sure what it is that I'm not missing. Spark notes, please?

It's about a few things.

a. The writer thinks that Hermione is the true heroine of the novels, a strong character who worked her way through trials and tribulations without the usual rigamaro of the "strange birth and enormous amounts of magical powers gifted."  She is an extraordinary character.

b. The writer thinks that J. K. Rowling did the character a great disservice, and hid her behind a male character pumped full of an overwhelming number of boring stereotypes.

c. J. K. Rowling said she did a lot of things that she didn't actually do.  For example, Dumbledore's retconned homosexuality--hide your gays, and all that.

d. The books tend to be rather cruel to their female characters, and value their abilities below those of men.  This doesn't really stop.

e. She takes potshots at youthful activism.

f. etc., etc.

It's... very satirical.  The point is to call JK Rowling out for what amounts to a seemingly sexist, racist, imperialist, etc. work, while still lauding her for having given us Hermione to enjoy in the first place.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: July 20, 2011, 01:00:08 am »

Ah, got it now. Since you've said JK is sexist, I'd like to ask a question. I'm agreeing with you that there is some heavy lady-hate in Harry Potter, but what are some factors you use to draw the line in other books? All the villains being female, yes, that's sexist, unless all the characters are female. But in other works, where the hate is dished out to every character, how does someone identify whether or not the hate is deserved? Sorry if this seems like kind of a stupid question, but I just really can't.. put weights on reasoning, is I guess what I'm trying to say. Like, I can't tell when Reason A is more valid than Reason B, and just assume it is valid enough for the decision maker.

Editing: I guess more of what I'm asking is, say for instance: The villain gets shot. It is morally justified because the main character did it and the main character is always right. But if they are the villain just because the main character doesn't like them, as a person, is that in any way sexism or just the main character being a right prick?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:05:15 am by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 20, 2011, 01:04:16 am »

I still haven't been able to accept my own tendencies towards fetishism, mostly because I've spent so long of my life being adamantly straight-laced and desperately trying to be So Totally Normal.  Now I find out that I seem to have developed all kinds of bizarre attractions, and I don't know what to do about them, really.  Some of them are fetishes about being adamantly straight-laced... I don't even like people like that, personality-wise, I'm just attracted to them =/

So yeah, that's not "official Vector policy/opinion."  That's something I'm trying to work out for myself, and I fear it's tingeing my words more than it should.

EDIT: For a great essay on this, you should read "Thinking Sex" by Gayle Rubin.  It has some extremely controversial parts, but I found most of it fascinating and quite tolerable.

It's cool man, took me w long time to manage that too. Did not help that I kept telling myself I didn't like guys. Meh. once I got over that it helped a little.

Also maybe that's just your "type." I prefer guys who more or less fill the guy role, given that I fill the girl one, if that makes sense. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 20, 2011, 01:07:34 am »

Just saying--it's very different to say that the work has sexist, etc., themes and call the author whatever.  This is why one usually says the work is "problematic," even, just to say that it furthers and strengthens certain tropes that are hurting people right now.

I dunno, really, if she's sexist or not.  All I'll discuss on this front is her work =)

Usually, you look at who is "good," who is "bad," and if there's any sort of balance in it.  You look for stereotypes on both sides and characters who seem to be shortchanged or disproportionately punished, ridiculed, etc.--and who those sorts of people are.

There's usually an in-universe reason for all this stuff (much like we have the outer-world reason of "girls are stupid" for why we don't have so many women in academia), but you have to look at what you know about the real world's issues, look at what the book is saying about those real people in the book, and see if you think Issues Are Happening.

Does that make sense, Sonerohi, or did you have a different question?

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 852