Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855365 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1695 on: July 15, 2011, 12:29:49 am »

I used to see the "Majority rules, and the majority says that gay rights are wrong!" argument a lot, but it's sort of died off recently. This may have to do with the fact that this argument is no longer even true in the purely factual sense. But back when it was being used, I used the counterargument of pointing out some societal group they were a part of and asking if it would be alright to wantonly slaughter all members of that group if 51% of the country thought it was alright. That tended to end the discussion entirely.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: July 15, 2011, 01:18:26 am »

Yeah, majority rule doesn't work when you're talking about civil rights. Civil Rights are something you're entitled to: even at society's expense and inconvenience. Otherwise slavery would never have ended and the Dread Scot Decision would've stood (the single worst U.S. Supreme Court case in history).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: July 15, 2011, 01:37:12 am »

Then again, who decides the civil rights?

In any case, the Majority rule isn't flawless as it is. I'm not saying any system is. What is the case, though, that modern Western society has a very relaxed attitude towards most things - if it doesn't cause or risk harm, chances are it's not illegal. Traditional but inconvenient and irrational laws are slowly falling off the law books.

So, from a rational viewpoint: Who gets harmed if gay people are allowed to marry each other? I don't think anyone is, with the possible exception of adopted childred if they actually conclude that kids really do grow up weird if they have two moms/dads. But I think those claims have been debunked as well, so no sale.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: July 15, 2011, 01:42:06 am »

In any case, the Majority rule isn't flawless as it is.

Which is why we don't have it. The US is very, very, very far from any sort of direct democracy.

What is the case, though, that modern Western society has a very relaxed attitude towards most things - if it doesn't cause or risk harm, chances are it's not illegal.

American culture? Relaxed attitude? Speaking of the US in particular, we have more people in prison than anywhere else, and several times more than any other first-world nation. Our political climate also pretty much entire revolves around fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: July 15, 2011, 01:57:03 am »

In any case, the Majority rule isn't flawless as it is.

Which is why we don't have it. The US is very, very, very far from any sort of direct democracy.
Never said anyone had. Democracy and majority rule come in various forms.

What is the case, though, that modern Western society has a very relaxed attitude towards most things - if it doesn't cause or risk harm, chances are it's not illegal.

American culture? Relaxed attitude? Speaking of the US in particular, we have more people in prison than anywhere else, and several times more than any other first-world nation. Our political climate also pretty much entire revolves around fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

You got my point wrong. During the past decades, the attitudes and legislation on culture have relaxed. People have been given more freedom to do things that were illegal previously but not harmful to anyone (such as engage in homosexual relationships).
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: July 15, 2011, 04:11:12 am »

Fair point, but liberalization is pretty much always trending like that in the Western world... slow progress is to be expected even in a somewhat conservative climate. We're still often behind much of the rest of the first world when it comes to that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 15, 2011, 04:14:12 am »

You got my point wrong. During the past decades, the attitudes and legislation on culture have relaxed. People have been given more freedom to do things that were illegal previously but not harmful to anyone (such as engage in homosexual relationships).

Kay's right -- and I grew up with this, so now any time anything not harmful to others is made illegal barring things that already are (I guess specific drugs??), I do a double take.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: July 15, 2011, 04:16:17 am »

Indeed, but liberalism (or rather, rationalism in favor of tradition) is emerging in any case.

By the way, by the way... could some of you Americans explain why conversion camps is legal in your country? I heard there are even companies that snatch children in the middle of the night so they can't run away.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: July 15, 2011, 04:19:03 am »

By the way, by the way... could some of you Americans explain why conversion camps is legal in your country? I heard there are even companies that snatch children in the middle of the night so they can't run away.

I actually can't since I've only heard of it through that whole shpeal on reddit. However, I'm sure that the camps themselves may be legal on principle but the way they treated their "abductees" would be QUITE illegal, if anyone could catch them.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 15, 2011, 04:23:47 am »

I actually can't since I've only heard of it through that whole shpeal on reddit. However, I'm sure that the camps themselves may be legal on principle but the way they treated their "abductees" would be QUITE illegal, if anyone could catch them.

I'm certain that homosexual children and other such "defiants" would grow up healthier if they got acceptance from their parents instead of being snatched forcibly into some enclosed area where they get told they're not well and need to be fixed.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 15, 2011, 06:58:41 am »

Because it's unfortunate, but it's perfectly legal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity in the US. It's the civil rights acts of 1964-1965 that make most discrimination illegal and those two simply aren't in it.

As for those camps, the parents pay them to do that. Screwed up huh? 

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 15, 2011, 07:03:14 am »

Screwed up yeah. So, you're an American? No I'm not going to blame you for being one, I just want to know how much attention the camps are receiving over there. Are the mindscrewing camps considered to be a serious issue by any mainstream politician?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 15, 2011, 07:05:34 am »

Yes, I'm one and also GLBT....

No, these camps aren't even on the radar to anyone. People might or might not have heard of them and some would support them if they did know. A significant portion of the population doesn't like gays at all here.

Please don't quote me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 15, 2011, 07:53:36 am »

Not liking gays does not equal being in favour of torturing them psychologically, socially and physically. Being able to discriminate against people of different sexual orientation does not mean that those camps would be legal either, does it? Because isn't such torture of people illegal, regardless of who they are?

I assume we are talking about those "schools" that were brought up earlier in the thread, though. I realise that there are other camps that might not be so easy to accuse of torture, what with the "tough love" excuses and all.
Love, scriver~

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: July 15, 2011, 08:15:38 am »

That is indeed true. Perhaps someone should setup a camp that would tell kids they're ill and rotten without having any anti-gay goal at all. I'd like to see how people would react to that, and how would they justify the conversion camps versus the plain ol' insecurity camp.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 852