Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856521 times)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1410 on: July 09, 2011, 12:16:50 pm »

I know many religious people, and I don't believe Bible makes people hate people. It may reinforce any love or hate, though. I know more people who use the Bible as a reason to love thy neighbor than I know people who use the Bible as a reason to hate gay people. I guess both points of view require some kind of selectiveness from the reader.

However, my local church is almost notoriously liberal, so my observations on different groups of religious people may be wrong.

Conservative religiosity is fucking "evil". Liberal religiosity is fucking stupid. (Yes, I had to use amplifying words for this)

I'll just quote Steven Weinberg here: "With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion."

Stupid or not, at least they're not hurting everybody and are just attending their own ceremonies peacefully.

That's true. But it doesn't make it in any way admirable or a good thing, just the lesser evil. Being a liberal religious person is a hypocritical stance.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 09, 2011, 12:20:34 pm »

I know many religious people, and I don't believe Bible makes people hate people. It may reinforce any love or hate, though. I know more people who use the Bible as a reason to love thy neighbor than I know people who use the Bible as a reason to hate gay people. I guess both points of view require some kind of selectiveness from the reader.

However, my local church is almost notoriously liberal, so my observations on different groups of religious people may be wrong.

Conservative religiosity is fucking "evil". Liberal religiosity is fucking stupid. (Yes, I had to use amplifying words for this)

I'll just quote Steven Weinberg here: "With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion."

Stupid or not, at least they're not hurting everybody and are just attending their own ceremonies peacefully.

That's true. But it doesn't make it in any way admirable or a good thing, just the lesser evil. Being a liberal religious person is a hypocritical stance.

I disagree about it being even a "lesser evil", because "evil" implies someone is getting hurt. People've entertained themselves with useless and weird philosophies for ages already. If they find the Bible a suitable motivation to be nice to people and donate to charities, heck, who am I to jduge?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 09, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »

Nobody wants to respect the choice of those religions to perform ceremonies for gay couples, they do however, want to force those religions NOT do/perform gay weddings.

Since when does the state keep churches from performing a marriage cermony for homosexuals? It will not be a marriage in the eyes of the state, of course, but nothing is keeping the church from recognizing it as a marriage.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 09, 2011, 12:21:47 pm »

Well, I don't feel any hostility here. None whatsoever. ::)

I come to read this topic because I enjoy feeling insulted, demeaned and having an important piece of my life basically called either evil or stupid.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 09, 2011, 12:24:40 pm »

That is just Hiiri. He has a vendetta against religion for some reason.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 09, 2011, 12:25:11 pm »

Well, I don't feel any hostility here. None whatsoever. ::)

I come to read this topic because I enjoy feeling insulted, demeaned and having an important piece of my life basically called either evil or stupid.

And what would that be?

If the demeaning is towards...

Homosexuality: That's what we're working against.
Christianity or religion: That's what I'M working against. It's also mostly Hiiri.
Conservatism or other political stances: There's no way for me to work against that. Haters gonna hate, man.

edit: ninja

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 09, 2011, 12:26:38 pm »

If they are doing evil, then they are not really good people, now are they? Not every Christian is an evil bastard, and religion did not spring up from the void to corrupt the minds of mankind. It is as much a human construct as anything else, so only evil people would use it for evil purposes.
can you not conceive that a good person can be tricked into doing a terrible thing? like burning that terrible witch for running arround hexing people and causing famine? of course good people have also done terrible things in the name of politics, science, etc.

we often belong to religions that don't have a problem with it, like (...) Buddhism
didn't buddhism have something against tatoos and piercings and general body modifications or something? i'd imagine this would get in the way of the T crowd in the GLBT

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 09, 2011, 12:27:18 pm »

On the topic of religion, people, generally speaking, get what they seek out of it.  Shame, Love, Guilt, Hate, Peace, its just like any other facet of human expression.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 09, 2011, 12:29:18 pm »

they do sometimes also get things they're not looking for. fanaticism isn't always a choice. but as i said, that's not limited to religion

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 09, 2011, 12:30:19 pm »

If they are doing evil, then they are not really good people, now are they? Not every Christian is an evil bastard, and religion did not spring up from the void to corrupt the minds of mankind. It is as much a human construct as anything else, so only evil people would use it for evil purposes.

I'm sure the crusaders thought they were doing the good, righteous thing. Not to mention these Islamic suicide bombing assholes, that are often revered in their little communities as heroes (... saints, anyone?).

I disagree about it being even a "lesser evil", because "evil" implies someone is getting hurt. People've entertained themselves with useless and weird philosophies for ages already. If they find the Bible a suitable motivation to be nice to people and donate to charities, heck, who am I to jduge?

I agree, they're not hurting anyone. By "lesser evil" I'm talking about the ignorance of liberal religiosity. And ignorance is not in any senses a good thing.

Edit:
That is just Hiiri. He has a vendetta against religion for some reason.

Lol, it shows, does it? :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:32:20 pm by Hiiri »

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 09, 2011, 12:34:42 pm »

If you make a habit of being anti-religion it's taking up the space in your mind that would occupy religious thought. If someone else likes the idea of a god, let them believe. If someone doesn't, then they don't have to believe. Hate someone for their actions not for their groups.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 09, 2011, 12:35:25 pm »

That quote is fucking wrong. Yes, the aplifyatory verbiage was needed. You can replace religion with all sorts of different words (for example, patriotism). About the only way I can see to make that quote accurate would be "good people can behace well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes incomplete knowledge"

Personal vendettas are wrong, if you're unable to see something as anything other than stupid, your not able to form a valid opinion any more.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 09, 2011, 12:36:15 pm »

I'm sure the crusaders thought they were doing the good, righteous thing. Not to mention these Islamic suicide bombing assholes, that are often revered in their little communities as heroes (... saints, anyone?).

My point is that religion does not do things to people; people misuse religion. The Bible is open to very wide speculation, and sometimes you wonder if anyone who uses it actually read it themselves.  Hateful people use it as a tool — often through convenient misinterpretations, but that is the way it is with science too. Hilter did much of what he did FOR SCIENCE.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 09, 2011, 12:37:23 pm »

Hilter did much of what he did FOR SCIENCE.

No. Just no. Get the law out of here and give it back to Godwin.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 09, 2011, 12:37:36 pm »

we often belong to religions that don't have a problem with it, like (...) Buddhism
didn't buddhism have something against tatoos and piercings and general body modifications or something? i'd imagine this would get in the way of the T crowd in the GLBT
Is there a definite Buddhist authority that can tell if Buddhism is for or against something?
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 852