Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857010 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1170 on: June 25, 2011, 02:08:00 pm »

Nor can we allow the value of an individual overshadow the fact that we're dealing with murderers and rapists here. To give an example, several years ago, a bunch of dutch Hells Angels brutally murdered a member of another motor gang. Guess what sentence they got?
Spoiler: this one (click to show/hide)

Are you even paying attention to the argument you make? Your response... isn't a response to what I'm saying at all. It's not even related. I'm not even saying anything about the "value of an individual" in the first place. If you're going to respond to things, at least read them enough to make sure that you're actually, you know, responding to them.

The case you mention just has to do with the bizarre legal artifacts of however that system handles a crime like "murder". It has almost nothing to do with the discussion, never mind what you quoted from this thread.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 25, 2011, 02:17:19 pm »

I was reading the gist of your reply as "The individual circumstances matter most", which I wanted to counterbalance because it is very easy to stare yourself blind on individual characteristics and lose sight of what really matters.
The example I gave was one where the judge is essentially hiding behind a legal definition so he doesn't have to convict people instead of, you know, actually convict people for what they have done. It is one of the very problems I'm trying to argue; people are looking for ways out to not convict people or even admit that they're dealing with people that don't belong in our society, because it is hard to tell someone to his face that he is not just wrong, but Wrong. Or maybe I am seeing too much behind the case.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: June 25, 2011, 02:19:16 pm »

I disagree, and hope you read the essay on the prison systems that MSH linked.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: June 25, 2011, 02:20:51 pm »

I was reading the gist of your reply as "The individual circumstances matter most", which I wanted to counterbalance because it is very easy to stare yourself blind on individual characteristics and lose sight of what really matters.
The example I gave was one where the judge is essentially hiding behind a legal definition so he doesn't have to convict people instead of, you know, actually convict people for what they have done. It is one of the very problems I'm trying to argue; people are looking for ways out to not convict people or even admit that they're dealing with people that don't belong in our society, because it is hard to tell someone to his face that he is not just wrong, but Wrong. Or maybe I am seeing too much behind the case.

I have no idea how that individual case relates to the idea that cases should be judged based on individual merit. If the judge had actually done so, he would have sentenced them, unless the law is so screwy over there that he was actually implementing it as intended.

If you're a judge and you're still looking for any possible excuse to not convict someone for murder, then you shouldn't be a judge. I also strongly doubt that this is how most judges or juries work.

So... well, what's your counter-argument, anyway? That the individual merits of a case shouldn't be considered? That doesn't exactly lead to a functional judicial system.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: June 25, 2011, 02:21:14 pm »

No my argument is that it's too easy to get lost in individual details (his father was a marine and thus he got into contact with violence early. His mother was very protective and possessive. He had bad friends. He had a bad relation with his wife.. etc.) and forget that usualy most of those details are inconsequential and irrelevant.

I disagree, and hope you read the essay on the prison systems that MSH linked.
Oh.
Sorry about that, I forgot that this is a very US-centered thread.
Disregard my ranting.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:23:28 pm by Virex »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: June 25, 2011, 02:23:21 pm »

Oh.
Sorry about that, I forgot that this is a very US-centered thread.
Disregard my ranting.

Dammit, and I forgot that Europe doesn't have the same problems we do.  Yeah, it's pretty US-centered, for now.

So, er, I guess I'll say: is there really that problem with just not wanting to convict people over there?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 25, 2011, 02:26:00 pm »

Well things have changed recently, but it used to be that you could get community service for things like breaking into and plundering a house or a ridiculously low prison sentence, like less then a year prison time for assault. Luckily we got minimum sentences for the most grievous crimes, but we don't have a jury system in the Netherlands and the judges are still clinging to the old norms, so we still have a way to go.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:27:51 pm by Virex »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 25, 2011, 02:29:07 pm »

Huh... no jury system?  Are the judges really that trustworthy?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 25, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »

Erm, no, but it's hard to change the system.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 25, 2011, 02:33:51 pm »

Mind you, Juries aren't really that good either.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 25, 2011, 02:36:51 pm »

No my argument is that it's too easy to get lost in individual details (his father was a marine and thus he got into contact with violence early. His mother was very protective and possessive. He had bad friends. He had a bad relation with his wife.. etc.) and forget that usualy most of those details are inconsequential and irrelevant.

Those individual details still matter. If they aren't taken into account properly, then obviously there's a problem, but you still can't discount them.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 25, 2011, 02:38:01 pm »

Mind you, Juries aren't really that good either.
It could prevent cases like this one (sorry, couldn't find an English link) where a mother got a 1 year suspended prison sentence and 240 hours of community service for maltreating her children (the maltreatment included amongst others starving them, locking them outside naked while it was freezing and beating them with sticks).

The official explanation given by her lawyer is that she was maltreated and threatened by her man (which left the country prior to the incidents), but that's exactly one of those detail-problems I'm arguing about, because nobody should walk away with 240 hours of community service after doing that to her children...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:40:22 pm by Virex »

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 25, 2011, 02:40:18 pm »

I would say that they are. European countries (except the UK) don't follow common law, they follow civil law instead. Judges are not free to give sentences, because they have to follow codified laws issued during by the central authority. Also their decisions are not binding - the court doesn't have to follow similar previous verdicts, it only has to follow the letter of the laws. Which are usually pretty precise.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 25, 2011, 02:41:56 pm »

True, But it may also lead to some very incompetant jurors. Especially if the juror's decision has to be unanimous.

Also, just so I can use a web translator on that link, what language is it in?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 25, 2011, 02:42:17 pm »

Also their decisions are not binding - the court doesn't have to follow similar previous verdicts, it only has to follow the letter of the laws. Which are usually pretty precise.

Legal precedent usually isn't "binding", really; it just carries weight in countries where it matters.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 852