Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857113 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1080 on: June 24, 2011, 09:52:11 pm »

Ooohhh, some good news for a change! Let's hope this is on the way to not being "newsworthy", but for the right reasons ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:55:32 pm by Reelyanoob »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 24, 2011, 09:55:44 pm »

The state movements are nice and all, but I really wish there was a better federal movement to legalize gay marriage. Better to sweep up all 50 at once than to force them through one at a time, right?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 24, 2011, 10:01:07 pm »

I was under the impression that issuing marriage licenses had always been at the state level in th USA?

It was a good thing NY elect Cuomo and not Paladino as Governor. Though, Paladino might well have made bestiality marriage legal ;) at least with horses, the dirty conservative freak XD
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:09:55 pm by Reelyanoob »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 24, 2011, 10:03:12 pm »

Yeah, but that doesn't matter if the federal government issues a mandate to the rest of the union to hand out same-sex marriage licences. Supremacy clause and all that.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 24, 2011, 10:07:57 pm »

Apparently, the New York state Senate just passed their same-sex marriage bill, after an amendment about religious exemptions (I think that means religious institutions don't have to recognize such marriages for their own purposes, but preserving all governmental effects).  It's already passed the state House (although it probably has to be reconciled with the amendment) and the governor has said he'll sign it.  Probably the most important factor, is that the New York marriages are not residency based, meaning that anyone can go to New York and get a marriage license, and take it back to their home states under the Constitutional Contract Clause.  Granting trans-state marriages and doubling the number of citizens residing in same-sex marrying states is going to have some powerful repercussions around the country.

Thank you God....

Unfortunately it is far more complex but it's a step in the right direction. I couldn't say, get married in one of the states that allows gay marriage and come back to Ohio. Rather, I could, but it wouldn't be seen as valid and the State of Ohio and Federal Government wouldn't recognize it.... Ohio amended its state constitution in 2004 to define marriage as between one man and one woman and that ... well here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the federal government, it's a really odd tangle of stuff because family relationships traditionally fall within the individual state's police powers. That whole thing is a mess honestly.

As for this action, I am very very glad to see this. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:14:53 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 24, 2011, 10:11:05 pm »

Yeah, but that doesn't matter if the federal government issues a mandate to the rest of the union to hand out same-sex marriage licences. Supremacy clause and all that.
The butthurt would be audible from across the planet.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 24, 2011, 11:25:19 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: June 24, 2011, 11:38:02 pm »

Other great news:

Attempt to defund Planned Parenthood blocked in Indiana.

That's both great and scary. 

If I'm reading that right, Indiana will have all of its federal medicaid funding revoked if the legislator refuses to budge on the issue.  That would screw my family over immensely.  It seems unlikely, but it's still a frightening possibility.

I need to just get out of this damn state.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:41:54 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 25, 2011, 12:10:01 am »

Some Chuckles from Yahoo Answers Politics (feel free to drop in over there for some partisan combat)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:33:02 am by Reelyanoob »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 25, 2011, 12:11:20 am »

If I'm reading that right, Indiana will have all of its federal medicaid funding revoked if the legislator refuses to budge on the issue.  That would screw my family over immensely.  It seems unlikely, but it's still a frightening possibility.

Yeah, uh, I should've been paying more attention--and I'm really sorry to hear that.

It sucks when legislators play chicken with human rights like that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: June 25, 2011, 12:39:20 am »

Just turned on TV to see:

FOX NEWS ALERT
GAY COUPLES CAN BEGIN MARRYING IN NEW YORK IN 30 DAYS
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 25, 2011, 12:41:37 am »

Haha, the asker of that question is either trolling or a massive dick.

Either way, I think it's pretty funny >____>

Just turned on TV to see:

FOX NEWS ALERT
GAY COUPLES CAN BEGIN MARRYING IN NEW YORK IN 30 DAYS

Ohhh noooooooo

Hide the childruns

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 25, 2011, 12:41:53 am »

May not be because of New York, but Google is doing somthing.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 25, 2011, 12:43:00 am »

Cute little rainbow.  That's neat.

Hide the childruns

Don't worry, FOX only lingered on it for about 45 seconds before going back to their 23 hour a day coverage of the Casey Anthony trial.

Looks like a wild party though.  Dig the Empire State getting in on the festivities, being NYC and all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 852