Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857487 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #855 on: June 20, 2011, 11:50:18 am »

Except artificial selection runs on the same principles as natural selection. The only real difference is that in artificial selection the blind hand of fate is replaced with a person, who changes the criteria of 'fittest'. Thus, artificial selection is still about the survival of the 'fittest', only that the criteria for 'fittest' is based upon the desires of the person.

Not nearly. Artificial selection is coupled with either selective cross breeding and in this case design. The result is as far as natural selection as you can get.Not at all the same dynamic. Just check the different breed of dogs that man did in a few centuries, and the different kind of wolves. Not the same result, not the same mechanics, and not the same dynamic.

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 20, 2011, 12:02:48 pm »

True, but: Evolution is why we don't drive T-Fords anymore: better cars were made, and the old models died off because they were no longer the fittest.

No, it isn't. Evolution has nothing to do with cars, as new models are not the old ones with some random feature changed.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 20, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »

It's not the same evolution, but it's still an evolutionary process whereby successful designs propagate and unsuccessful ones stop being made. In this case one of the biggest criteria for success is ability to bring in lots of money.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 20, 2011, 12:15:49 pm »

It's not the same evolution, but it's still an evolutionary process whereby successful designs propagate and unsuccessful ones stop being made. In this case one of the biggest criteria for success is ability to bring in lots of money.

Not really. The modification should be random. There is similarities, but mainly conceptual. Note that survival of the fittest is not really what evolution is about.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 20, 2011, 12:34:43 pm »

Sometimes I really wish I could force people to read a book before continuing the argument.

Social Darwinism was coined by Thomas Henry Huxley after reading Darwin's work on the Origin of Species. No direct relation to Darwin or his theory, besides the whole "survival of the fittest" mantra which wasn't even coined by Darwin but poor Herbert Spencer who always gets Social Darwinism quoted in places that makes him look like a dick.

Even if Evolutionary Theory applies to human society, as we mostly agree on Evolution applies somewhat haphazardly to humans as a species, just because we can all evolve scientifically progressively into a "perfect" society, should we all?

Evolution actually creates biodiversity, not one super-race. This is where people fuck up in the grand scheme of things. I remember some of my friends who didn't believe in evolution asking why apes didn't evolve. They think that only the best ought to survive, when really they miss the entire interconnectedness of our existence. Apes, fish, birds, all fill a niche where they are. Where would humans be if we wiped out all other species on the planet? Where would society be if we started systematically eliminating groups of people? Societies are in fact supposed to be culturally and institutionally diverse to survive changing conditions. There is no one uber-mench society.

The main lesson to learn from evolutionary theory is just because you can, doesn't make it right. This is where you actually have to start thinking about morality within the Science, rather than regarding it as right because hey, science is naturally moral less.

That kind of attitude brings along the conditions that have allowed many of the last genocides to occur- "We're going to eliminate those that are holding us back". That's the argument that Bauman, an underground fighter in the Polish army during WW2 and esteemed professor of sociology, made.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:41:38 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 20, 2011, 12:41:32 pm »

Not really. The modification should be random. There is similarities, but mainly conceptual. Note that survival of the fittest is not really what evolution is about.

Hmm? Last time I checked, evolution was about individuals passing their genes down to their offspring. The term survival of the fittest is a bit misleading, but the term is very close t how evolution works and what it is about.

Additionally, natural selection and artficial selection are similar enough to be considered under the blanket term of evolution. Evolution is about the change of inherited traits in populations of organisms, through genetics. While the modification to the genes of a population may be random (or pseudorandom), the genes that get pasted on to future generations are those that are 'fittest', meaning that an individual with those genes are more likely to pass them on then other individual. Both natural and artifical selection work on this principle. However, the difference between the two is based on what genes are considered 'fit'. In natural selection, a 'fit' gene is one that allows its bearer to survive until it can reproduce, allow it to attract more mates, or give allow its offspring a better chance to survive. For artifical selection, a person chooses traits that they consider desirable. Genes that display these traits thus are the 'fittest', since an individual with these genes are more likely to reproduce through selective breeding.

In conclusion, natural and artifical selection work through the passing of desirable genes. In natural selection, genes that give an individual a better chance to pass its genes are considered desirable. In artifical selection, selective breeding ensures that desirable genes are those that display traits that a breeder desires.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 20, 2011, 12:59:52 pm »

Evolution actually creates biodiversity, not one super-race. This is where people fuck up in the grand scheme of things. I remember some of my friends who didn't believe in evolution asking why apes didn't evolve. They think that only the best ought to survive, when really they miss the entire interconnectedness of our existence. Apes, fish, birds, all fill a niche where they are. Where would humans be if we wiped out all other species on the planet? Where would society be if we started systematically eliminating groups of people? Societies are in fact supposed to be culturally and institutionally diverse to survive changing conditions. There is no one uber-mench society.
I don't know, getting rid of all misogynistic politicians seems a pretty decent move.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 20, 2011, 01:01:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

False. The principal behind ants is that they do pass on their (nearly identical) genes, its just not every ant does so. Same genes though. The difference here is that those ants are all RELATED BY DIRECT BLOOD. I have no relationship beyond friendship with the people whose kids I support. I tend to avoid my family when possible. I believe my bloodline tends to suck, I'm selecting ones I favor above it. My bloodline should probably die. My knowledge should procreate.

Yes, very yes.

O she does tell him to shut up, and she's always summarily ignored because she's female. She knows this and complains about it, but meh, "women complain about everything." She also never takes any action to stop what she KNOWS and has repeatedly proven, is his latest hair brained scheme, but only picks up the pieces after. She never stops him as that isn't "a woman's place."  She absolutely is devoted, because she never leaves his stupid ass, despite him slowly ruining both their lives and thinking it's cool to threaten to hit her. "Stand by your man."

Or maybe old age is just something that doesn't fit into evolutionary theories? Maybe the human body just couldn't manage to be alive, much less fertile, forever? Maybe there is no advantage but it's the best that could happen in a screwed up universe subject to entropy? Other than that, survival value isn't objective or subject to ranking, it is a threshold, once and if you get over it, you're good enough. Except of course in terms of competition where another alternative crowds you out, in a given set of circumstances and point in time. I've seen very well written papers stating that if the average world temperature was about 15 degrees colder, Neanderthals, not us, could've been dominant. Are we, without technology, "fitter" under natural selection? Only because it didn't get a little colder? Replace the temperature variable with "need to run faster, be physically stronger, stealthier, more resistant to disease or pioson, etc etc etc." Simply, we have no idea and can't know what "fittest" is and conversely, maybe the least specialized and most flexible/adaptable, wins....

As for the bystander effect, I just can't help but hear justification for doing nothing in that.... Granted, it doesn't mean the observers are bias against her for being trans, but the attackers sure are.... I just find it interesting that NONE OF THEM CALLED THE POLICE OR EMERGENCY MEDICAL AFTER it happened. This is odd to me because there was a helpless person clearly having a seizure on the floor and her attackers had fled.... Thus the restraints of the "bystander" effect were substantially removed and still it was only the old woman who called.... What does this mean? Beyond my being sickened, I don't know, but it isn't good. Most Americans today have a cell phone, if you come across someone helplessly having a seizure on the ground in public, use it.

Again, yes, very yes, which leads into:

The false presumption that natural and artificial selection have anything to do with one another is just kind of a justification for the crap we do today as being "natural." Bullshit

Example 1: Toy dog breeds. Lap dogs used to be wolves.... Then we got ahold of them.... Then we told them who they could and couldn't date/have puppies with:

Progress? The look on his face says "I'm a snack and look they even put me in a wrapper! It's to keep your food from getting cold! Brrrr it's not working!"

That thing's ancestors used to be wolves and we made it into, basically a rat that needs a sweater. That thing isn't gonna make it outside your living room ten minutes without people saving it. Survival of the fittest? Natural and artificial selection the same thing? I'm sorry Mr. Fluffles. God am I sorry.... Our sins against your entire family line will never wash off....

Example 2: Cars and in fact most products. Screw the long term I want my profits now! I will foist off the biggest piece of crap on you that I can foist onto you and by the time you realize what I've done, I already have your money and screw you. You can sit on hold with "customer care" (Ba Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha *20 minutes later* hahahahahahaha) for as long as I feel like while I a recording tells you I care about your call but refuse to hire people to take it! "I'll just go to your competition...." You do that slappy. What do you think they're doing? That's right, same thing, because we the cheats have underbid and undercut all the legit businessmen long ago and now you're stuck with our crap. You only have yourself to blame because you wanted everything "cheaper" and that's exactly what you got, in price and quality....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:18:50 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 20, 2011, 01:05:16 pm »

I don't know, getting rid of all misogynistic politicians seems a pretty decent move.
As mentioned before, tolerance of intolerance is not okay :) It's one thing to have different ideas, it's another thing to have different ideas and then physically or emotionally attack someone.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 20, 2011, 01:09:10 pm »

I don't know how you can not tolerate intolerance without showing intolerance towards someone. In other words, how are you going to rout out Nazi's or misogynists without showing a little bit of intolerance?

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 20, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »

Or maybe old age is just something that doesn't fit into evolutionary theories? Maybe the human body just couldn't manage to be alive, much less fertile, forever? Maybe there is no advantage but it's the best that could happen in a screwed up universe subject to entropy?

Maybe. Could be the case. But IIRC, we're the only animal that has menopause or something like it, and that spends a significant part of our lifespan not being fertile, which I think is what makes scientists start wondering.

As for the bystander effect, I just can't help but hear justification for doing nothing in that....
Don't; explaining something isn't justifying it.

Granted, it doesn't mean the observers are bias against her for being trans, but the attackers sure are.... I just find it interesting that NONE OF THEM CALLED THE POLICE OR EMERGENCY MEDICAL AFTER it happened. This is odd to me because there was a helpless person clearly having a seizure on the floor and her attackers had fled.... Thus the restraints of the "bystander" effect were substantially removed and still it was only the old woman who called.... What does this mean? Beyond my being sickened, I don't know, but it isn't good. Most Americans today have a cell phone, if you come across someone helplessly having a seizure on the ground in public, use it.
That's exactly what the effect describes - the tendency for people to do nothing in the face of what seems (to an outside observer like us) to be an obvious problem that demands attention. Nobody quite knows why this happens and obviously if there were ways to change it I think people would use them.

My point up there was to say that this is something that's been seen before, and people doing nothing was probably the result of this fairly frequently observed psychosocial phenomenon, as opposed to people being so bigoted that they chose not to help a person out of hate.

Hmm? Last time I checked, evolution was about individuals passing their genes down to their offspring. The term survival of the fittest is a bit misleading, but the term is very close t how evolution works and what it is about.
That's biological evolution, which is usually just called evolution for short. "Evolution" can describe a lot of processes besides that.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 20, 2011, 01:23:31 pm »

I don't know how you can not tolerate intolerance without showing intolerance towards someone. In other words, how are you going to rout out Nazi's or misogynists without showing a little bit of intolerance?
Tolerance doesn't mean you let people slap you or others around. This is the same issue as those "nice guy" idiots have. Being a nice guy doesn't mean you let others step on your pride or self-worth. There is a time when you stand up for what you feel is right. That requires critical thinking and doesn't always require fighting. Speak to the humanity within people and you can normally find a common ground. If not, suckerpunch them in the face. ;) I kid.

We all can be tolerant of different ideas, but not allow hate speech, not be permissive of inequality and injustice. No where in the definition of "tolerance" does it say let intolerant people run around doing what the fuck they want.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:04 pm »

False. The principal behind ants is that they do pass on their (nearly identical) genes, its just not every ant does so. Same genes though. The difference here is that those ants are all RELATED BY DIRECT BLOOD.
Well, there's the whole blood, family, tribe, nation thing, but some people try to be global about it. You share more than 99% of your genes with me. In my book that makes me saving your genes worthwhile.

She absolutely is devoted, because she never leaves his stupid ass, despite him slowly ruining both their lives and thinking it's cool to threaten to hit her. "Stand by your man."
Well, that sounds stereotypical, indeed. However, if she was the abusive one and he was the devoted husband, lesseee.... Ah, as in the series "Keeping up appearances", that portrays the man as loyal and kind, and the woman as some kind of irrational bitch, it's ALSO misogynistic. And here comes a stereotypical complaint/cliche of men: "There's no pleasing a woman". ;)
The false presumption that natural and artificial selection have anything to do with one another is just kind of a justification for the crap we do today as being "natural." Bullshit

Example 1: Toy dog breeds. Lap dogs used to be wolves.... Then we got ahold of them.... Then we told them who they could and couldn't date/have puppies with:

Progress? The look on his face says "I'm a snack and look they even put me in a wrapper! It's to keep your food from getting cold! Brrrr it's not working!"
Except that it is 'fittest' for being cute (to a certain part of the population). Fittest does not mean "best" or "better". It means it fills a certain niche for which there was a need. As said before, we now decide what is "fittest", and guide evolution in that way. Look at his ancestors, and look at him, right now the number of wolves in the world is declining, and the number of chihuahuas is rising. Now tell me who is most successful?

Example 2: You only have yourself to blame because you wanted everything "cheaper" and that's exactly what you got, in price and quality....
This raeg, I agree with (well except for the point, since "fittest" right now means "most profit"). Yeah, I try my best to be the Omniscient Customer that is needed for Capitalism to work, but they make it friggin hard. I have to check every fucking step of the production process of every part in order to make sure no slavery/environmental damage/general assholery was performed. It's really hard, but I try. And pay twice as much as the next guy who doesn't care about the world.

On tolerance: what Kael said. Tolerance of people and ideas does not mean tolerance of actions. I will tolerate nazis, but won't allow them to lay a hand on another.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:57 pm »

Evolution works on precisely the same principle as evaporative cooling. No goal to it, it's just an interesting result that arises from relatively simple rules. "Better" has wildly varying and apparently arbitrary meanings, as in ants (which work because the evolutionary unit is the queen, not each individual ant; the other ants might as well be appendages, because they cannot breed and so don't contribute). Artificial selection is attempting to redefine the conditions that control what traits get magnified in the population, but we humans are still pretty dumb and have a hard time seeing all the consequences of a given selection. Take chickens for instance; those with the most meat were selected to breed, inadvertently resulting in a race of asshole birds that beat the shit out of each other fighting for food because that's a behavior that increases how much meat a chicken has. Neither has inherent moral weight, but particular acts of artificial selection can because there's a moral agent behind it (not the case in natural selection, necessarily, although if God does exist then by all means please PM me so that I can unlock the Atheism Redux thread and we can argue about it there).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:49 pm »

And here comes a stereotypical complaint/cliche of men: "There's no pleasing a woman". ;)

Oh lord

So funny

I don't mind the evolutionary derail, because I figure it's important.  Try not to get too wrapped up in it, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 852