Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857777 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #645 on: June 17, 2011, 06:54:18 pm »

Definition of "imperfection" being (but not limited to): inhomogenous, broken symmetry, unexpected, faulty, chaos.
Well, noone said perfection required homogenation or order.  I for one find the concept of chaotic perfection extremely attractive.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:57:03 pm by Leafsnail »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 17, 2011, 06:58:12 pm »

As a member of the white minority (yes, caucasians are a minority in the world) I demand equal rights to draw the racism card. Whoop, there it is.

Seriously, yesterday I was talking to a chinese guy who was making fun of chinese people. But if I do it it's suddenly wrong and racist. In that same conversation a gay guy started cracking gay jokes. White guys never get to have any fun.
Make fun of yourself, then, like they were.

The etymology of the word "hysterical."  Just learned about this... maybe that's why so many angry women get slapped with the word =/

I use the word hysterical.  I'm aware of its history as a word, but I wasn't always.  I continue to use the word because I don't care where it came from, and because we don't live in the 18th century, and because I use it as it is used in the modern world, as a gender-neutral synonym for crazy.  I have to ask if you would hold a word's origin against someone using it, especially one that old, especially since most people probably don't know that.
I believe, and I think Vektor might agree, that the objectionable thing is that many/some people use it only about women, or as an inherent trait in women.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 17, 2011, 07:00:06 pm »

I have to ask if you would hold a word's origin against someone using it, especially one that old, especially since most people probably don't know that.

That particular word?  Probably not, though I may choose to rethink my own usage of it.

I just thought it was kind of interesting that "hysterical" (along with "sensitive") is one of the words often applied to feminists, and the history might have something to do with why it gets slapped on us.

As a member of the white minority (yes, caucasians are a minority in the world) I demand equal rights to draw the racism card. Whoop, there it is.

Seriously, yesterday I was talking to a chinese guy who was making fun of chinese people. But if I do it it's suddenly wrong and racist. In that same conversation a gay guy started cracking gay jokes. White guys never get to have any fun.

I don't have the energy to deal with you right now.  I need some time off from this grossness.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Exactly, to both of those points.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 17, 2011, 07:01:50 pm »

I think the key here is how well people know or interpret you, in order to understand that you aren't actually prejudiced.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 17, 2011, 07:23:25 pm »

Warning: rape, misogyny.

whats the difference between a rape joke and raping a woman?
the rape joke still has intrinsic worth after its been used once.

Found on a comment thread at a feminist blog.

Posting it here for general edification.  I thought it was kind of interesting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 17, 2011, 07:26:41 pm »

Warning: rape, misogyny.

Found on a comment thread at a feminist blog.

Posting it here for general edification.  I thought it was kind of interesting.
I'm guessing this utter shit was in the comments, and not a quote from the feminist author in question? Otherwise, it might be helpful to strip her of her feminist credentials.

Edit: ... My reading comprehension is fail tonight. Ignore me. :(
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 17, 2011, 07:29:22 pm »

Yup.  It was one of the nicer negative comments.

I won't give the less-nice comments air time.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 17, 2011, 07:31:23 pm »

You could make fun of white people...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 17, 2011, 07:32:12 pm »

So am I right in interpreting this statement as somebody saying that 'Anybody who makes a rape joke is as bad as somebody who rapes another human, the only difference is that the prior does not have a single direct victim, while the latter does'?

You could make fun of white people...
Yea but that isn't as fun, as everybody already does that! Ever hear the phrase 'White men can't jump?', well it wasn't a white guy saying it. It was very amusing though!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 17, 2011, 07:34:04 pm »

So am I right in interpreting this statement as somebody saying that 'Anybody who makes a rape joke is as bad as somebody who rapes another human, the only difference is that the prior does not have a single direct victim, while the latter does'?

No, it means that rape jokes keep being funny no matter how many times you tell them (and thus have value), but women are fuckholes to be thrown away once you've bagged their virginity.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 17, 2011, 07:36:11 pm »

No, it means that rape jokes keep being funny no matter how many times you tell them (and thus have value), but women are fuckholes to be thrown away once you've bagged their virginity.

Ah, I see. I'm meant to take the statement as sarcasm then? Maybe satire?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 17, 2011, 07:37:36 pm »

Or, y'know, it's a fucking troll comment.  Obviously that's what it literally means, but I don't think it's worth getting bent out of shape over what some dickwad commenter has to say.  It's the Internet, and feminist blogs are always favorite targets of that shit.

Yes, it's a real problem, with real people in the real world.  But I honestly think worrying about pithy blog comments is just going nowhere.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 17, 2011, 07:37:46 pm »

Maybe just somebody who enjoys being an asshole.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 17, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »

Yea but that isn't as fun, as everybody already does that!

Hope you're kidding.

Nope.

But I honestly think worrying about pithy blog comments is just going nowhere.

I'm not worrying about it.  I just thought it was interesting and relevant, so I posted it in my thread where I talk about feminist stuffs.

I would add that assuming all the folks who post stuff like that are assholes or trolls, rather than people expressing their opinions, seems a bit optimistic.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 17, 2011, 07:42:52 pm »

Indeed. Even if you choose to assume the awful grammar was actually intentional and just not atmospheric for trolling, that would indicate that raping a woman once has intrinsic worth. I feel that I can, with confidence, knock that one without trying it and say that rape is not acceptable. I hope it's just some sort of donkey headwear doing some trolling, because that's only marginally preferable to somebody actually believing it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 852