Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857893 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #585 on: June 16, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »

Because ruthless means you screw a lot of people over?
I get that, but why is that bad?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 16, 2011, 05:53:54 pm »

Mostly because none of us is perfect, and we all need other people to help us out with things we aren't good at.  Intimidation only goes so far.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 16, 2011, 05:54:40 pm »

If it has to be explained, you probably wouldn't understand even if I explained it...
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 16, 2011, 05:57:08 pm »

If it has to be explained, you probably wouldn't understand even if I explained it...
I'm just trying to figure out why. People always cling to equality and all that jazz as the highest goal, but nobody ever explains why. Call me insane, but I'm just asking questions here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 16, 2011, 06:00:59 pm »

I want to live an enjoyable life.

My empathy for other people understands that I happened to be born into a specific circumstance, but that fate, as much as we can control it, should not favor me while shafting other people who did not receive my advantages and privileges (such that they are).

I want other people to live enjoyable lives.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 16, 2011, 06:02:27 pm »

I seriously don't know where to start. I mean, it's like trying to explain love to a sociopath.

Screwing people over to achieve your own goals is bad, ultimately, because it causes suffering, but more proximately, because societies function better when everyone is able to cooperate to some degree - not in the sense of working together to some goal, but in the sense of doing things that improve other people's lot. The more you screw people over, the more it erodes the fabric of society, not to mention creating lots of problems that somebody then has to deal with.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure people can come up with other reasons.

Oh yeah, and empathy for other people is kinda big. But if you don't have that to begin with, you can't acquire it by someone telling you how it works.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 16, 2011, 06:06:52 pm »

You could argue that it's good on the cold grounds of natural selection strengthening the human race, but I personally have three problems with this.

First, I don't think it's good for those who willingly harm their own kind to be favored by natural selection. 

Second, "ruthless" also tends to mean short-sighted.  For instance, some elderly CEO may not care that his profitable environmental destruction will make life more difficult for future generations, but this is completely counter-productive for the human race as a whole and thus cannot be supported by the survival of the strongest argument. 

Third, I personally don't think it's necessary for society to sustain and advance itself on the suffering of the majority of its population.  Even if you could argue on pure logical grounds that it's necessary, there is no reason to hold to this ideology if it can be proven unnecessary.

Is that good enough for you?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 16, 2011, 06:09:35 pm »

I think someone needs to define what precisely “screw someone over” means before there can be much productive conversation about why it must not be done. I think people may well disagree about what qualifies.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 16, 2011, 06:12:55 pm »

I think this applies here:
http://www.diggercomic.com/?p=294

Aside from that? Because trust within society is what allows it to exist. Trust is what makes society any different from chaotic anarchy in which roving bandits run around extorting one another and generally making everyone's quality of living piss-poor.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 16, 2011, 06:32:42 pm »

I think this applies here:
http://www.diggercomic.com/?p=294

I knew I was missing a point... the most important one...

It's much better for everyone to look out for each other and be at odds with the rare person who is only looking out for themselves, than for everyone to be looking out for themselves and be at odds with everyone else who is also looking out for themselves.

This is sometimes referred to as 'Enlightened Self-Interest'

Edit: 

Also got distracted from contributing to Truean's earlier point on professions vs incorporations.

Another problem I see is that corporate (and often government?) structures seem to be arranged so that the low level employees don't get to see the broader impact of their actions.  Their minor roles might scratch at their conscience occassionally, but not enough that they feel the need to abandon them at personal sacrifice.  Things might be different if they were always aware of the full implications of the entire process they're contributing to.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:44:13 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 16, 2011, 07:26:53 pm »

Furthermore, you know we can't all be software engineers and even if we could you're wrong.... That is being outsourced to India and has been for years.... I can show you with relative ease numerous software engineers who got outsourced.
Can you show me aside from anecdotes? I'm getting my info from here, stating a 34% increase over 10 years (or about 3% growth per year): http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos303.htm
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aside from that, software engineering was simply an example of an in-demand and growing field; in general, most technical fields are growing rapidly, as are opportunities in the healthcare field. For example, the demand for nurses, a field whose salary has a median of $62k, is expected to rise by 600k positions over the next 10 years (in addition to the already-existing positions); a 20% increase in a position which requires only an associate's degree.

I'm not defending high education costs or the silliness of some student loan related law, I'm merely pointing out that a blanket statement of everyone being unable to find well paying jobs after graduation is false.

Wow, where do I even begin here? I never said "everyone." Quite the contrary. The reason the system doesn't totally collapse is that there are enough people saying, "Screw it, it works for me so it can't be that bad Herp Derp!" It is a problem for ENOUGH of the populous that it is an issue.... While I understand your skepticism, just because there hasn't been a study about it doesn't mean it isn't a problem or real.
Anecdotes? This is called reasoning, and people love to hide behind numbers you don't have the time, energy or ability to check for accuracy to avoid it.

There are tons of companies like this and your boss is looking to use them: http://www.bleum.com/services/overview.shtml?gclid=CJWZ-tzQu6kCFcW5KgodH3ePhA. But hey, there hasn't been a study done about it, so clearly it doesn't exist right. These companies are just making millions not notably contributing to a decline in software jobs?

I also love how most people have blind faith in any numbers presented without understanding the methodology?

Statistical Inapplicability and Entirely Missing the Point

Neither You nor BLS give outsourcing anywhere near the credit it deserves as a destructive force.

Even if I take all of the above BLS stuff as godsent, so what?
There's a 34% increase in current software jobs currently. Yay? It still doesn't tell you how that fairs with the number of students currently training to be software engineers, which will tell you where your real security lies, in the amount of competition you have to face. This number isn't even tracked.... Thus it certainly can't fit into their projections for future growth. We have no way of knowing the real supply and demand of software engineers in the future because we don't track very relevant factors in determining these crucial concepts. (I say again, my god, they use GDP as their final demand measure.... How lazy can you get?)

As you yourself said, "software engineering was simply an example of an in-demand and growing field." We can't have an economy where a massive part of the population isn't educated and trained to preform those few, highly technical job areas that are growing. We not only need "ditch diggers," but we need ditch diggers who can afford to feed their families.

Point: Even if you're right so what? We can't all be software engineers and software engineers need ordinary people to be able to buy their software.

Moreover, even the video game industry is taking a hit right now, because screw it, the biggest company in that arena isn't Blizzard but Zynga. That's right, those cheap to make, easy to produce, crappy facebook games are making money hand over fist. Farmville doesn't require "intense research" or anything much really. People are more willing to plop down $1 for an Iphone app game that they can play anywhere than $60 for Starcraft II. Take a look at all those high end console games. Guess which one is selling more of the ones out now? That's right "Nintendo DS is beating all the others in sales." The games are far less awesome than PS3 and all the "innovation" required for it, because we're not buying that. The cheap games are more fun and require fewer developers to produce. They also break less often (I'm looking at you X-box). I also don't have to worry about my personal data being stolen (Screw you PS3 online network).

None of this translates well into stats but you can't look me in the eye and tell me it doesn't massively effect a major multi-billion dollar portion of the software industry, which employs software engineers: video games.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:29:39 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 16, 2011, 08:58:48 pm »

Just so you know, the main reason why growth is so rampant in the software industry is because it is an industry which encourages bottom-up control. By the numbers, only 50% of game developers work for those major corporations you hear so much about. The other 50% are indie developers and those who started a small business selling their software, who then may or may not have expanded into larger organizations. Outsourcing doesn't do sh*t when half the industry is essentially self-employed. Those small indie games you are talking about are exactly that: self-employed app developers doing it for a hobby, or just for a few extra bucks. You see, game development isn't just Starcraft 2; it's all of them. As a Game Design & Development major, my curriculum consists of courses to enable us to not only develop games of any budget on any system, but also to do web design and development, app development, database work, ect. You mentioned Zynga? Their company representatives come to our program to recruit developers. As do Microsoft, Blizzard, and other big names.

You are misinterpreting what is meant in this case by 'innovation.' Innovation does not mean new tech or shiny pretties on screen. Innovation means figuring out how to take the essence of what people consider 'fun' and turn it into numbers, while also keeping in mind that doing the same thing someone else did is not considered 'fun.' Take Minecraft for example. It sold over 2.5 million copies at about 10 euros each. It wasn't the first game to use that style of destructible voxel terrain, nor was it the first to do much of anything; except of course make its creator a multimillionaire. And here's why: the game was fun enough for 2.5 million people to buy it. Game developers' most important duty is not to know the latest and greatest tech; it is to know how to make their game fun. THAT is the innovation. It isn't an equation which can be taught in school, nor an article or two which can be found on tech sites, but more of an art form which requires an intimate knowledge of as diverse an array of topics as possible.

Another thing: sales figure changes in the game industry are questionable at best. They take into account things like retail sales and some other prominent sources, but much of it is heading towards venues which are untracked by these sales figures. Many of these sales figures for the industry, do not take into account digital download revenue from most sources; Steam doesn't even release its sales figures to the public, and it along with other digital distributors make up over 50% of the market. http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/21/valve-keeping-steam-sales-data-private-out-of-aggregated-charts/

Your core argument seems to be 'not everyone can be well off and still do what they want.' Of course that is true; it always has been, and always will be so long as we live in a capitalist society. What you have yet to do is even show so much as an example of a career field in which the prospects went from boom to bust in under the time it takes to train for such a job in which college education is required, the bust could not have been easily predicted in the years prior, and in which the trained workers would not have any sort of fallback positions available based on their training. A career in which those entering did not have the ability to foresee the problems which would arise later on.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:03:08 pm by alway »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #597 on: June 16, 2011, 10:47:46 pm »

Bleh. This is why I think that capitalism is unsustainable - eventually theres no one left to screw over, and everything collapses.

Now if only I knew what to do about it...

or, to go into more detail, we can't all be thieves. someone has to actually grow food or we're all gonna starve. if enough people are parasites, things go bad.

RAEG.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:09:38 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 16, 2011, 11:40:57 pm »

We can't all be thieves. someone has to actually grow food or we're all gonna starve. if enough people are parasites, things go bad.

RAEG.

Course, the theory is that when everyone becomes 'parasites' it becomes very lucrative to be a farmer.

And of course if everyone was a farmer then the only thing we would have is food. Which wont help you much when the wolves come a knocking.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 16, 2011, 11:47:45 pm »

And of course if everyone was a farmer then the only thing we would have is food. Which wont help you much when the wolves come a knocking.

Assuming wolves are a metaphor for predatory people, if everyone is a farmer, then there are no wolves.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 852