Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858282 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #480 on: June 14, 2011, 07:03:51 am »

Oh I know, I can't stand Scalia. He's one of the most opinionated, prejudging sons of a motherless goat that's ever worn the robe. But every now and then he makes the right decision, even if sometimes for the wrong reason.

That's why I was kinda stunned to hear that this got slapped down unanimously and that Scalia wrote the opinion, in which it was refuted not on some arcane logic or strict Constitutionalism, but on grounds of common sense and precedent.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 14, 2011, 07:15:27 am »

Oh I know, I can't stand Scalia. He's one of the most opinionated, prejudging sons of a motherless goat that's ever worn the robe. But every now and then he makes the right decision, even if sometimes for the wrong reason.

That's why I was kinda stunned to hear that this got slapped down unanimously and that Scalia wrote the opinion, in which it was refuted not on some arcane logic or strict Constitutionalism, but on grounds of common sense and precedent.

This makes absolutely perfect sense. Scalia will, of course, do mental gymnastics in his own mind to avoid blame, but maybe the reason he came off scathing is because this is his damn fault. Because clearly the rest of us aren't smart enough to see the brilliance of his money = free speech argument and this is proof of our stupidity/misapplication of law, rather than the natural and probable result of his buffoonery....

It's like Eric Cartman suddenly slamming his latest evil and sometimes genocidal plot in reverse because he suddenly realizes he will not like the consequences. Of course Cartman never sees himself for what he is, the evil bastard opposite Kyle's relative goodness, and Stan's position as the everyman.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 14, 2011, 07:18:38 am »

Well, if nothing else, at least a solid precedent has been established to uphold the constitutionality of restricting the actions of individual legislators for proscribed reasons.  Sure, one precedent dumped unlimited money into politics, but now there's no confusion over whether legislatures can make their own rules to punish blatant conflict of interest (to the extent that there ever was confusion).

Who knows, with that set up on a national stage, you might even see a stricter interpretation of the idea, like extending "conflict of interest" voting-prohibition pertaining to anyone who has given a candidate campaign contributions.  And maybe chocolate coated $100s will rain from the sky, and we'll never need to worry about that again anyway.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:21:15 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 14, 2011, 07:25:27 am »

US or Old Zimbabwe?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 14, 2011, 07:40:27 am »

And maybe chocolate coated $100s will rain from the sky, and we'll never need to worry about that again anyway.

Mmmm....Baking Benjamins...

Continuing the feel-good progressive vibe for the day, 4 State Senators in New York (3 D, 1 R) have changed their stance on same-sex marriage, opening the way for a potential bill to be brought up in the state legislature.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 14, 2011, 09:48:09 am »

And maybe chocolate coated $100s will rain from the sky, and we'll never need to worry about that again anyway.

Mmmm....Baking Benjamins...

Continuing the feel-good progressive vibe for the day, 4 State Senators in New York (3 D, 1 R) have changed their stance on same-sex marriage, opening the way for a potential bill to be brought up in the state legislature.

Nice, I'm a little sick of the second class citizen status bullshit Americans feel so self righteous in imposing. If gay marriage was so damn evil, the snow in Canada would've caught fire long ago.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 14, 2011, 12:45:56 pm »

Okay back to the rage.

Congressional Oversight Chief Releases Classified Documents, Impacts Ongoing Criminal Cases

Nice job breaking it, dumbass.

Made all the more galling by Rep. Issa (the same guy who had a hard-on for investigating Bill Clinton's hard-on) being the same person who insisted that Congress shouldn't hold hearings on Blackwater's abuses until the State Dept. had concluded its own investigation. DOJ investigation is still ongoing, but now apparently it's imperative that they start holding hearings.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 14, 2011, 02:55:45 pm »

Hello, ETV!  Good to have you here.  As for why I didn't reply to your posts... well, you have to understand that I need to sleep and to go to class once in a while =)

I don't support any particular political party, and I'm not running for office because I'd be very bad at it.  I don't really know what I'll do with these opinions.  Probably start writing letters and supporting campaigns when I have my life more set up and squared away than it currently is.  You know.  When I have a job and an income, rather than just half of a university education.

I'd also say that I'd prefer that one not speak of members of a lower, presumably uneducated class (plebeians) negatively by default in this thread.  We are not patricians.  Or, at the very least, I know I'm not.  This is not a problem solely for the ruling class or an intellectual elite to squabble over amongst themselves, far away from the general populace and their experiences of suffering; this is an issue for everyone.  Most of the people in this thread speak not to an arbitrary other, but to what they, themselves, have experienced.

We are not Prometheus, bringing fire from the gods; we are here to build our own light, and to invite others to keep our counsel.  Please keep that in mind.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 14, 2011, 04:30:28 pm »

We are not Prometheus, bringing fire from the gods; we are here to build our own light, and to invite others to keep our counsel.  Please keep that in mind.

Mind if I sig that? It seems tribute worthy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:36:53 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 14, 2011, 04:31:35 pm »

Mind if I sig that?

Go for it.

Oh, and Scriver, you can sig that thing that you wanted to a while ago if you still feel like it.  I realized that I forgot to respond >____>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 14, 2011, 04:37:08 pm »

"With Liberty and Justice for All...."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_gaymarriage_california

"It is not reasonable to presume that a judge is incapable of making an impartial decision about the constitutionality of a law, solely because, as a citizen, the judge could be affected by the proceeding," Judge Ware wrote.

If the reverse were true, then any judge who owned a gun couldn't issue a ruling on gun rights or regulation. Humorously enough, the same argument could be made about a judge who didn't own a gun.

That's right bigots, the mere fact that the judge was gay, does not mean he is incapable of issuing a proper legal ruling on an issue effecting gays anymore than a straight judge would be incapable of such a ruling....

P.S. Screw you. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:42:03 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 14, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »

I would have, had I been the siggin type, regardless of your thoughts on the matter. :P

Well, not totally without regard.
Love, scriver~

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 14, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »

That's right bigots, the mere fact that the judge was gay, does not mean he is incapable of issuing a proper legal ruling....

P.S. Screw you. :)

Hells yeah! At least I can love my state for its judges.

Wait, when did this because the Progressive Celebration thread? There have been quite a few positive updates here.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 14, 2011, 04:50:19 pm »

"It is not reasonable to presume that a judge is incapable of making an impartial decision about the constitutionality of a law, solely because, as a citizen, the judge could be affected by the proceeding," Judge Ware wrote.
Wrong decision. Very very wrong. That ruling is always going to have an air of biass. They should have redone the trail because now the ruling is essentially useless.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 14, 2011, 04:54:06 pm »

Wrong decision. Very very wrong. That ruling is always going to have an air of biass. They should have redone the trail because now the ruling is essentially useless.
Yeah.  They shouldn't allow people who will be affected by it to judge the issue.  So they should ban gay, straight, bisexual, transexual and any other sexualities of judges, since the change of the definition of marriage will clearly affect them.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 852