Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858560 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #285 on: June 09, 2011, 08:26:35 am »

I never claimed that since people don't want to pay taxes, the government should fire everyone. What I was getting at instead is that "scroogy bastards" are a side-effect of the fact that people want to get the best deal. There are maybe some people that go too far and therefor it's not a good idea to listen to the vocal "majority". But if enough people always take the cheapest cucumber then that's a good reason to look for a way to make your cucumbers cheaper or you need to make your cucumbers stand out in another way, because people still buy gaming computes even though a netbook is way cheaper.
Yeah, but he complain about people not wanting to pay for his cucumber no matter what.
They are partly right, though, paying to get the best defense is just another way of buying one's way out of jail.
But they'd burn me for being a dirty commie if I explained them the logical following of that fact.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 09, 2011, 08:31:47 am »

I never claimed that since people don't want to pay taxes, the government should fire everyone. What I was getting at instead is that "scroogy bastards" are a side-effect of the fact that people want to get the best deal. There are maybe some people that go too far and therefor it's not a good idea to listen to the vocal "majority". But if enough people always take the cheapest cucumber then that's a good reason to look for a way to make your cucumbers cheaper or you need to make your cucumbers stand out in another way, because people still buy gaming computes even though a netbook is way cheaper.

Funny you should mention gaming computers. I bought a gaming lappy and it died 13 months (12 month warranty) after purchase.

As for firing government employees: I live in Ohio, it's all the rage now: Check out the embedded video:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/03/26/960457/-Jon-Stewart-RIPS-into-GOP-Governors
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/31/national/main20049481.shtml

He's absolutely right. Um, the entire GOP and republican state governors are firing the crap out of people: police, firemen, teachers, yeah.

It is not currently a side effect, it's the norm. It's a problem. We're firing police officers? WTF? We never used to do that. Because apparently people won't commit crimes in a recession? Look at the campaign promises in those videos. People elected these politicians on that crap. No no, these are the people in power backed by a MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION WHO ELECTED THEM!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:36:58 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 09, 2011, 08:36:47 am »

$4/gallon gas being the new norm.

Try £1.30something for a litre. Fun times when you want to learn to drive. Worse, I'm young and male so apparently I have a fatal attraction to large, solid objects at high speeds, so even my insurance would be massive. Oh, and I can't afford lessons, and a lot of places I apply to work for want a full driving license. Woo, vicious circle. At least petrol isn't as highly taxed as beer served in pubs, yes, that's right, a pint of 3.8% by volume ale costs twice as much as a litre of petrol.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:49 am »

Solution: drink petrol.

You're not going to drive with it, and it probably tastes better than UK beer anyway :P

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 09, 2011, 09:28:06 am »

probably tastes better than UK beer anyway :P
take that back about my delicious ale :<

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:06 am »

I Concur. Decent Ale is brilliant. Beats the crap out of most of the piss we import from other countries.

You just have to know where to find the stuff.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2011, 09:48:34 am »

Like... in cars? Oh and don't try diesel, that's even worse than US beer.

[/chauvinism]

But back to the cucumbers, that's a really great example :) I'm pretty sure that everyone would prefer an expensive uninfected cucumber to a free deadly one. Adam Smith fails because consumers aren't omniscient.

Also: Marketing makes me RAEG, and I just refused to continue on a piece of 18+ software (Not X-rated, but it is barely legal privacy-wise) on moral grounds. My boss wasn't too pleased. Fuck that. Future bosses reading this (I know this is the internet and this will haunt me): Yes, I Have Principles und Nein, Befehl ist nicht Befehl.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 09, 2011, 10:54:20 am »

I Concur. Decent Ale is brilliant. Beats the crap out of most of the piss we import from other countries.

I'm a member of CAMRA, I get newsletters and magazines telling me where to find the stuff.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 09, 2011, 11:12:38 am »

Funny you should mention gaming computers. I bought a gaming lappy and it died 13 months (12 month warranty) after purchase.

As for firing government employees: I live in Ohio, it's all the rage now: Check out the embedded video:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/03/26/960457/-Jon-Stewart-RIPS-into-GOP-Governors
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/31/national/main20049481.shtml

He's absolutely right. Um, the entire GOP and republican state governors are firing the crap out of people: police, firemen, teachers, yeah.

It is not currently a side effect, it's the norm. It's a problem. We're firing police officers? WTF? We never used to do that. Because apparently people won't commit crimes in a recession? Look at the campaign promises in those videos. People elected these politicians on that crap. No no, these are the people in power backed by a MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION WHO ELECTED THEM!

Yeah, in Pennsylvania, our wonderful Republican governor, elected by the rednecks that inhabit most of the state that isn't Philly or Pittsburgh, is slashing the hell out of education budgets, just what the poor kids of Philadelphia need right? I have no idea how these people think the future is going to look. Of course, they're not the ones that'll have to deal with the kids of 10 years from now who have no prospects thanks to growing up in the ghetto and having their entire education having been a joke, so what do they care?
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:49 am »

I'm a member of CAMRA, I get newsletters and magazines telling me where to find the stuff.

My local pub always has two Guest Ales. They're usually worth drinking. Otherwise, I'm clueless.

Any further Ale conversation should be taken to PMs
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #295 on: June 09, 2011, 11:45:59 am »

Spoiler: Massive Quote (click to show/hide)

It's called planned obsolescence. You design your products so that they wear out as soon as you can get away with, so that people have to buy stuff more often. Everybody does it.

As for nobody wanting to pay anything, thats not terribly surprising. It's just another effect of capitalist culture. "Make as much money as you can, screw everyone else."

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 09, 2011, 03:13:16 pm »

I would also like to point out that the majority of people are scraping by.  They have to buy the cheapest crap and cut corners financially everywhere possible in order to make it paycheck to paycheck.  This often results in them getting the worst long-term deal, which only ensures that they remain in that hole.  Stupidity often plays a role, but I contend that a larger portion of it is by design.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 09, 2011, 07:12:06 pm »

Warning: Very NSFW.  Also, rape simulator.

An article about a video game.

I don't really know how I feel about this one.  One the one hand, the article is written by someone who doesn't come off... too sharp, in that there are some problematic things that they commit and I don't really agree with.

On the other hand, that game is disgusting.

I suggest reading the linked articles.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 09, 2011, 07:16:42 pm »

Custer's Revenge 2.0?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 09, 2011, 07:25:42 pm »

Well, I read that article, and while the extremely alarmist and sensationalist tone made me facepalm, I have to agree with a lot that was said. :doublefacepalm: I don't understand what someone would get out of that.

Custer's Revenge 2.0?

Erapetrick Boogaloo
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 852