Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858617 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2011, 12:59:54 pm »

Equality destroys sex lives!

I am kind of tired of the pop psych people at this point.
This just in: Daily Mail still supports crap science as long as it backs up their bigoted viewpoints.
But the research was made on the Internet! It has to be true!

I also especially enjoyed the "we found this behaviour int rats, therefore it applies to women" part.  ::)

edited for formatting.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:01:35 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 08, 2011, 01:00:31 pm »

Actually, red the whole article, it's not very supportive at all. e.g the sentence which starts "There is plenty of evidence to counter the claims made by Ogas and Gaddam. [...]"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 08, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »

Man, how did homosexuality crop up about what Gamerlord said?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 08, 2011, 01:18:36 pm »

Actually, red the whole article, it's not very supportive at all. e.g the sentence which starts "There is plenty of evidence to counter the claims made by Ogas and Gaddam. [...]"
Ah yes, the staggeringly weak misrepresentation of arguments against what you're saying at the end of an article (in this case, they also turned it into an excuse to blame one of their other enemies - Muslims.  Damn, that was smooth).  Putting them at the end means that most people don't read it, and makes it clear where their sympathies lie.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:47 pm »

I worry vaguely that I'm going to get some flak for this, but there's something so awkward about couples, "families" (i.e. couples with children), and stuff like that.  For a single person, I mean.  I've found that my friends who end up pairing themselves off stop relating to me in a meaningful way.

Yeah, this is sad and it works both ways.  After my wife and I had our first kid, we lost contact with most people.  Most of the people we know just didn't like to be around a kid and didn't like how we couldn't pay exclusive attention to them when they were around.  There were even a couple cases of dirty politics that got us removed from social groups we still tried very hard to cling to (main case being a role-playing group GM'd by one of our best friends).  It really really sucked.

And many people will make flippant comments about babysitters, but they really don't realize how difficult that is.  All of my relatives live 400+ miles away, so I only have my immediate family.  My wife doesn't even have that.  My family and the few friends we have who actually like children almost always have better/more important things to do and will usually only help out when necessary.  Professional babysitters are ***expensive*** and not even an option at all since our kid developed diabetes.

I don't like kids.

I really don't have a problem with people who don't like kids.  I can't expect a person to like children anymore than I can be expected to like politicians.

What does bother me is openly expressed hatred and intolerance, and you would be surprised just how frequently this is encountered.

We do our best to keep our kids from bothering other people in public.  It can be really really hard to do, though, since these days a parent's options for discipline in public spaces is really limited.  The only thing I can do when a kid is acting up is take him to a secluded area for a time out, which is definitely not always an option.  Sometimes such a space is not available.  Sometimes that would involve unfairly punishing both children when only one deserves it (which causes an explosion of problems beyond just being unfair).  Sometimes you're in the middle of something important and just can't.

Controlling kids in public really requires the ability to dish out quick and harsh consequences, but this can get your kids taken away from you these days.  Kids are aware of this and take advantage of it.  Now that my oldest is 6, I'm finding I can threaten later consequences with a good amount of effect.  This did not work until recently, and still doesn't work on my two year old.

And for me, at least, quiet from certain kinds of noises is not a want, but a need.  The noises kids tend to make often set off an unbearable sensory overload.  It's not simple annoyance.  If it were, I would just deal with it.

I sympathize with you here, but not with most people. 

Most can just deal with it.  I feel no sympathy for the guy standing in front of us in line who gets in my wife's face and barks "Shut your damn kid up!" when he giggles mildly after minutes of complete silence because he saw something he thought was funny.  Or when I'm in the children's section of a department store and my kid is throwing a fit because I won't buy him a toy he wants, and a guy comments loudly on his cell phone "Sorry could you repeat that, someone here doesn't know how to discipline their child!"  (Tip:  Children don't usually throw temper tantrums because they're not being disciplined)

And, as far as the not receiving slack from modern society for being a parent:

I think you should receive slack from modern society for being a person, with a person's needs, not necessarily receiving perks based on parenting things.  People should be considered as people.  As a member of a family, you will have times when you have to take care of the family, but also many times at which the family will save you time.  As a single person, there will be many events where I will be spending a hell of a lot more time taking care of things--or so I believe, though I may be wrong--and no slack will be accorded for the drain.

I agree that people should be allowed to attend to their needs, and this is a universal problem.  Sick day policies, for example, are atrocious at most work places.  It's very wrong for everyone.

I contend that it's quite different with kids, though.  For example, I've had to argue with management at my office multiple times because my wife was sick.  She wasn't sick enough that she required care, but she was sick enough that I didn't trust her to care for our diabetic child alone.  It only takes one mistake to lose him forever.  It's a big deal.  But it's not the kind of thing that you can really get a clear doctor's statement on, isn't covered by any law or workplace policy, and HR/Management absolutely do not want to concede on it.  I've almost lost my job and a lot of pay over this.  This doesn't punish me, it punishes the child who is completely helpless and unaware.

I could give at least a dozen examples of similar conflicts off the top of my head. 

Plus, they are a huge drain on your time and energy. 

I was a Media Arts/Sciences major in college with a focus on 3d art.  There was another guy in my class doing exactly the same thing.  He had absolutely no family or financial obligations.  He locked himself away and did nothing but master his craft for three years.  His capstone project was an animated short that looked like it was produced by a fully staffed professional studio.  He got hired as a technical director at Pixar straight out of graduation. 

I couldn't do this, and I KNOW I have just as much talent as him.  I made 3d models that rivaled the work of our professors, and my capstone project was incredibly successful.  But I didn't have the time/energy to develop a wide enough range of knowledge in the field (I can make fantastic 3d models but I don't have enough technical knowledge of rendering to show them off properly, for example) or a large enough portfolio.  My capstone project was an interactive comic demonstrating the unexplored potentials of interactive comics.  I spent the first half of the semester planning/preparing and produced the actual work in only a month.  It was a bare bones project, but generated tons of interest and still looked better than most capstones shown that semester.  My first kid was 4 years old, and my wife was also a full-time student who required tons of support because my second kid was born exactly 4 days after my final presentation.  I honestly don't know how I accomplished as much as I did that semester.  I'm incredibly proud of what I achieved.  Two years later I still don't have a job in my field.  Employers don't give a shit about your situation.  They want to see something pretty.  It pisses me off.  Immensely.

I will probably spend a large portion of the rest of my life depressed, with the accompanying loss of productivity, because I just can't get people and often find myself without enough human contact, but no one is ever going to take that into account.  Indeed, I will not be treated like a person.  I will simply be told that my problem is that I lack a date.

I sympathize with you on this.  I do acknowledge that the expectation to pair up and have kids is unfair.  This aspect of the childfree movement I find quite legitimate.  I just wish they would distance themselves from the other part.

Edit:  And if I were around, I would definitely hang out with you and find ways to relate.  I can get along with just about anybody, and know others who can as well.  It sucks that you're isolated to the point of depression, and I honestly know what that's like, even if it's not for the same reasons.  Just don't give in to the idea that it won't get better.  It will.  Just keep pushing your boundaries and it will.

I'm sorry for this rant.  I hope it's comprehensible and inoffensive.  I'm... really tired.

I also hope you don't mind that my above post was mostly venting :P

Edit Edit:  Oh and as for the debate about procreation being the biological purpose of life... I really don't care and don't think this should matter at all.  It may be a biological imperative, but it's not a necessity.  It should be a personal decision and society should not punish a person in any way whatsoever for deciding either way.

I DO think that it can be selfish.  I don't believe people should be encouraged to stop having kids altogether, but I do think that anyone who has kids is being selfish if they have any more or less than two.  Only children are very difficult to raise to be emotionally and socially mature.  Any more than two children is contributing to overpopulation.  Two children breaks even and allows them the essential life experiences that can only come from having a sibling.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:10:31 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 08, 2011, 05:19:56 pm »

@SalmonGod:

Thank you for the "offer," and I think you're mostly right on those points.  Maybe not the one about only children; of course, that may just be my kneejerk reaction as an only child, who raised herself on a dictum of "children should be seen and not heard" =)

I'll keep trying.

For now, though, I'm having "issues" and will probably go take a walk or something to see if that can't help clear them up.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 08, 2011, 05:35:01 pm »

@SalmonGod:

Thank you for the "offer," and I think you're mostly right on those points.  Maybe not the one about only children; of course, that may just be my kneejerk reaction as an only child, who raised herself on a dictum of "children should be seen and not heard" =)

It's not a universal rule that only children turn out badly.  It's just more difficult to get them the experiences they need to learn how to problem solve and emotionally cope with social difficulties.  This can be offset with effort, but it is a lot more difficult and can never completely replace the experience of actually sharing living space, beds, toys, and the attentions of your parents with another child for at least a good portion of your developing years.

I had my second child mostly for this reason and it's paid off immensely.  I take time to talk my kids through social problem solving and empathic thinking whenever I can, and the older one's kindergarten teacher says he's the most caring in the class and helps everyone get along.  I'm 100% sure it wouldn't be that way if he didn't have a younger brother.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 08, 2011, 06:42:10 pm »

It doesn't always matter if you have a sibling. When I lived in England for the first four years of my life, me and my cousin were like twins. In fact, my parents think that separating me and her caused a lot of my insecurities.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 08, 2011, 07:04:23 pm »

Some days I just seem to hate people:

*rant*
People in the U.S. are mostly cheap and just don't want to pay for anything and/or figure out the details and just sort of hope things work out. "It's someone else's problem," ~everyone. This is kinda why our road infrastructure is dying. Anyhow....

Working in a law office is considered an "easy job." *laughs* All the problems other people can't solve I do. The best part? When we get a not guilty verdict, people don't want to pay because they don't think they should have a "large" (any) legal bill on account of them "not doing anything wrong." Then of course if its a guilty verdict (cause it's not like people actually did it sometimes...), well they also don't wanna pay....

So, don't wanna pay if you win, and don't wanna pay if you loose? Don't wanna pay... ever.... ...... Yep, we're suing for fees. What did I expect after listening to 40 minutes of tea party anti tax ranting from the DUI client. *sigh*

I just had a guy disown his gay son and write him entirely out of the will. It's a lovely gesture really, throwing your own kid to the gutter over bigotry.

Perhaps its my imagination, but I just hear a lot of people not wanting to pay for anything these days. The above is a personal example, but it seems to be general in nature. Taxes (I'm in Ohio where we are laying off police, firemen, teachers, etc left and right under Kasich), prices of anything.

I think I can sum up the brand of b****ing I seem to be hearing lately in one fell swoop:

"I shouldn't pay for it; others should. The government should be small; but large enough where I can tell others what to do. Certainly "they" shouldn't be able to tell me what to do, and I'll hate your soul and your children' souls if you consider taxing me at all.... I love this country; look at my flag pin. Hell no I won't pay for it though! You're Unamerican if you disagree with me! The founders thought the same as me!!11111111111111111111111!!!!"
*endrant*
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 08, 2011, 07:33:41 pm »

Thumbs up on the rant, if I could.

Unfortunately similar attitude is growing in the rest of the world too.  :-\

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #280 on: June 08, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 09, 2011, 04:24:55 am »

*rant*
People in the U.S. are mostly cheap and just don't want to pay for anything and/or figure out the details and just sort of hope things work out. "It's someone else's problem," ~everyone. This is kinda why our road infrastructure is dying. Anyhow....

Working in a law office is considered an "easy job." *laughs* All the problems other people can't solve I do. The best part? When we get a not guilty verdict, people don't want to pay because they don't think they should have a "large" (any) legal bill on account of them "not doing anything wrong." Then of course if its a guilty verdict (cause it's not like people actually did it sometimes...), well they also don't wanna pay....

So, don't wanna pay if you win, and don't wanna pay if you loose? Don't wanna pay... ever.... ...... Yep, we're suing for fees. What did I expect after listening to 40 minutes of tea party anti tax ranting from the DUI client. *sigh*

I just had a guy disown his gay son and write him entirely out of the will. It's a lovely gesture really, throwing your own kid to the gutter over bigotry.

Perhaps its my imagination, but I just hear a lot of people not wanting to pay for anything these days. The above is a personal example, but it seems to be general in nature. Taxes (I'm in Ohio where we are laying off police, firemen, teachers, etc left and right under Kasich), prices of anything.

I think I can sum up the brand of b****ing I seem to be hearing lately in one fell swoop:

"I shouldn't pay for it; others should. The government should be small; but large enough where I can tell others what to do. Certainly "they" shouldn't be able to tell me what to do, and I'll hate your soul and your children' souls if you consider taxing me at all.... I love this country; look at my flag pin. Hell no I won't pay for it though! You're Unamerican if you disagree with me! The founders thought the same as me!!11111111111111111111111!!!!"
*endrant*
People not wanting to pay is the only thing that makes companies and governments strife for more efficiency. It may be a bit annoying sometimes, but without these sentiments, there would indeed be no more then 5 computers in the world, because nobody would ever have thought of trying to make a cheaper computer.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 09, 2011, 07:18:43 am »

Thank you SalmonGod, for telling my POV (except for the 6yr old diabetic) :).

@Virex I know you live in the other extreme but you should know better than that. Tax cuts are almost never the answer.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 09, 2011, 07:32:55 am »

*rant*

*endrant*
People not wanting to pay is the only thing that makes companies and governments strife for more efficiency. It may be a bit annoying sometimes, but without these sentiments, there would indeed be no more then 5 computers in the world, because nobody would ever have thought of trying to make a cheaper computer.

K... no. That's called competitive price pressure. I'm talking about being a cheap bastard.... Different.

Look, to the extent it spurs quality, nice. To the extent it HARMS quality, not nice.

The business model today isn't "make a better mousetrap." Rather it's, "How much of a cheap piece of shit can we make our product before people refuse to buy it?" This is why nothing works and everything is made in a 3rd world country.... Also, this is why half my car is made of plastic that has a tendency to break.... It's not "better" it's just "cheaper." The less quality a product has, the cheaper it is. So, you buy it, it breaks but guess what, the company already has your money and you couldn't really afford to sue over the warranty anyhow so.... You're screwed?

No no, let me uh, explain this to you. Our society is obsessed with price rather than VALUE. There's a huge difference and to the extent that we don't get that is the extent we're screwed. Being in debt or paying money is not bad per se; it is about what you get for it. Consider it the Return on Investment.

If everyone expects something for nothing, then something's gotta give....
The end result is a race to the bottom of crappy products and $4/gallon gas being the new norm.
By all means though, fire some government employees when unemployment and lack of jobs is the major problem.... Wait, firing people and eliminating their positions = more unemployment which is our big problem now....  ???

Clearly the solution to unemployment is to create more unemployed....
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:34:51 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:52 am »

I never claimed that since people don't want to pay taxes, the government should fire everyone. What I was getting at instead is that "scroogy bastards" are a side-effect of the fact that people want to get the best deal. There are maybe some people that go too far and therefor it's not a good idea to listen to the vocal "majority". But if enough people always take the cheapest cucumber then that's a good reason to look for a way to make your cucumbers cheaper or you need to make your cucumbers stand out in another way, because people still buy gaming computes even though a netbook is way cheaper.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:21:09 am by Virex »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 852