Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858424 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2011, 07:19:09 pm »

The thing with rape laws is that they're sometimes modified to reduce the statistical reports of rape, so it's kinda why there are so many odd rape laws out there. Yeah, it's BS, but people don't seem to notice.

Never heard of this before, so color me really uninformed. You have a source on that? (or two)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2011, 07:22:02 pm »

The sorce is pretty old, I heard this at about 2008-2007, from an inteerview on the virginia/DC station Hot 99.5, where they had an interview with someone political. The details escape my mind, but I remember them talking about a rape law. (And yeah, it's a music station, but the morning hours can end up with a bit of politics popping up, and the DC area does have politicians)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2011, 07:22:39 pm »

Isn't it plausible that it assumes consent is ungiven by default? That if you are never able to to give consent in the first place, it is non-consensual, and thusly rape?
Uh... this answers my joking "What if someone likes being knocked out when they have sex" objection, but none of the other ones.

Unless you're just suggesting completely ignoring the definition and substituting a more sensible one.  The definition as it stands doesn't mention consent at all - it's defined purely in ways of removing someone's ability to resist, and seems to imply that it's not rape if you yourself didn't remove their ability to resist.

The thing with rape laws is that they're sometimes modified to reduce the statistical reports of rape, so it's kinda why there are so many odd rape laws out there. Yeah, it's BS, but people don't seem to notice. 
Well... this is US federal law, I'm not sure if I'd call it an "odd rape law out there", although I'm sure they exist.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2011, 07:24:16 pm »

Sorry, I've been skimming that part of the thread. The other debate was somewhere I felt more at home arguing.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2011, 07:31:13 pm »

Yeesh, do you really need to have gay people move away to enjoy your life ggamer? Whatever happened to other people's innaliable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Ultimately, people you dislike for no other reason than they believe something you don't will always exist. If you want to keep them away, build a fence. And you can pray in school, perfectly legal, you can pray all day and all night if you choose. The problem is that formal prayer at school is not only government endorsment of religion, but effectively asks people to lie about themselves.

First off, bro, that is the most breathless non sequitur I've ever seen.

1-Oh, not at all. That statement was just concerning legal issues. I don't give a damn if someone moves to Georgia who is already married gay. I have a problem when the gay couple saddles up on each other when I'm in an elevator with them. It's the flouting of the homosexuality I have a problem with. I actually have a much deeper philosophical viewpoint on that, but for the sake of length I won't go into it.

2a- Again, I don't dislike that. It's the arrogant flouting.

2b- When did I say government endorsed prayer? I said a voluntary meditation time. People who don't have that kind of religion will, I hope, have the respect to not fuck with people during the ten second prayer time.

I think you and I have different viewpoints on what "formal prayer" means. Please elaborate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »

Hm, yes, you are right. I seem to have misread the paragraph. But doesn't the (5) imply that there is at least four other statements possibly covering other scenarios?

@ggamer - would you be equally offended if it was some straight couple flouting their sexuality or "saddling eachother"?
Love, scriver~

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2011, 07:39:58 pm »

@ggamer - would you be equally offended if it was some straight couple flouting their sexuality or "saddling eachother"?
Couples macking in a public environment is awkward and discomforting to a lot of people, especially whatever behavior can be best described as 'saddling eachother'. I'm sure I would be too no matter who did it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »

3- And that is relevant?

I do think it is relevant that gay people are not being treated like people, yes.

4- Black people ARE represented as equal parts of the media. might I direct you to this.

I'm sorry, I didn't say cardboard cutouts with a little paint slapped on.  I said people.

5- Relevance?

It's relevant every time I make an argument in a classroom and have my mental health called into question, yes, because it's been used to debase me a few times and it's utterly terrifying every time it happens.

To take it out of just Vectorania, it's utterly stupid that a psychiatric diagnosis of an unrelated issue allows one to be thrown under the wheels of the bus of mental illness and discounted in all respects.

It's utterly stupid that one part of one's mind functioning "poorly," or even just differently, enables society to throw the rest of the person out.

Oh, and by the way, I strongly suggest looking up the history of eugenics in the United States.  You might be surprised to see that we were the ones who invented the gas chambers the Nazis employed.  For use on our own citizens.  But that infrastructure was too difficult for the United States to maintain, so instead we just gave admits to psychiatric hospitals tuberculosis and so on, in hopes of removing the defectives.

And sterilized them.

And treated them like so much worthless, inhuman trash.

I will not even start with the way we treat autistic people.  It is disgusting.

6- Jah, Herr vector!

Achtung!  If you're going to imply feminazism, at least get your German right.  Ja or jawohl, preferably the second, because it has a much more soldiery feel.  Otherwise, the only insult is that you're using "Herr" instead of "Fraulein."  That's not exactly a big deal.

7- That... was a bit of a side rant against AoS griefers. I would rather you not take every vaguely worded insult literally.

I have no idea what AoS is, but I have no idea what it has to do with this thread.  If it's not a language complaint then it's a completely off-topic complaint, and all the same, I'd like it if you curbed yourself.

Couples macking in a public environment is awkward and discomforting to a lot of people, especially whatever behavior can be best described as 'saddling eachother'. I'm sure I would be too no matter who did it.

Indeed.  I don't know why GGamer feels the need to single out gay people for this offense, however, as though it is their sexuality that is problematic--as opposed to any sexuality at all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2011, 07:43:25 pm »

Hell yes! that's really awkward! In an ELEVATOR! jeez, bro!

EDIT: I also wrote that entire earlier retort without knowing Vector was female.

The more you know...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:46:50 pm by ggamer »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2011, 07:48:11 pm »

I'm afraid I'm going to have you elaborate on your view of why you feel that homosexual couples shouldn't "flout their homosexuality" in front of you. If you were comfortable around heterosexuals flouting their heterosexuality in elevators, then it's predjudice, and if you have a problem with anyone making out, or what have you, then why are you singling out homosexuals?

As far as formal prayer goes, that's when there is a set time of a schoolday to pray. Even if this time is meant for all religions, it's a government endorsement of all religions minus not having one, but I even find the meditation sessions offensive, since they disregard that in some cultures, prayer can be as complex as finding your position and facing on the planet when the sun is in a relative position to them, and going through some fairly complex rituals.

PS: and four replies. Anyway duke, you're pretty much in the clear. It's fine to see open displays of affection to be a little off putting, but ggamer specifically singled gays out.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2011, 07:50:01 pm »

I don't understand why people are so repulsed by public displays of affection. Just ignore them if it bothers you so much.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2011, 07:51:42 pm »

1-do youhave a problem when a straight couple saddles up in an elevator next to you?

2-See, that's exactly the kind of thing that annoys me. I';ts not people being religious, it's people FLOUTING it. can't you just keep it to yourself? If you want to take 10 seconds to pray, do so, but for fucks sake, you don't have to go and announce it. /sarcasm

NINJAS! LET ME POST ALREADY, DAMNIT!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2011, 07:52:33 pm »

Hell yes! that's really awkward! In an ELEVATOR! jeez, bro!

EDIT: I also wrote that entire earlier retort without knowing Vector was female.

The more you know...

Actually I think you could have gotten a free ride in that part just by saying you dislike people flouting their sexuality in general. I agree with you there, whatever people do I'd prefer them keep to themselves if it's pretty crazy, homosexual or not. Regular public displays of affection I'm not bothered by. I think the problem there was you started out by singling out homosexuals on this one, making it seem like you were implying you were less okay with them flaunting their sexuality than people who are straight.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2011, 07:54:21 pm »

From the (admittedly small sample size, but honestly) homosexual people I know, they're no more likely than anyone else to flaunt their sexuality. Actually, given the social stigma that seems arbitrarily attached to it, they're usually more reserved about whether they hold hands, kiss, etc., in public. Even around family, and you don't get a social environment that's supposed to be much more accepting than that. So I don't know why you're singling out homosexuals there, except possibly confirmation bias (you don't recognize homosexual people who aren't incredibly obvious about it, so 100% of those you notice are extremely obvious).

So, as annoying as PDAs are to some people, I don't see a connection between that and the obnoxious restriction on rights that you seem to endorse (if you give it a moment's thought, I'm sure you'll realize that forcing someone to move to another state to exercise a right is just "Sit at the back of the bus, if you want to sit" on a drastically larger and nastier scale).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2011, 07:58:43 pm »

Repeating what Vector and Chaoticag already said, the purpose of my question was to arrive at this: if that is how you feel, then why are you thinking "I don't like it when gays do X" insteat of "I don't like when people do X"? What makes homosexual people different in this regard?

Ninjad, I guess.
And again!
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 852